RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Progressive press; which one?

Boolit Master
    If you post your location in your profile someone nearby might invite you to become more familiar with the options.

I started with a Dillon SDB, added a used Hornady LNL, rebuilt the LNL, sold the LNL, bought a new 650 and casefeeder, bought a used 650 and casefeeder, sold the SDB, added bullet feeders to the 650’s.

Based on my experience, I’d start with the SDB. It takes proprietary dies, and only has 4 stations, but it is relatively small compared to the other options, and is easy to operate and reliable. With a SDB you’ll never double charge unless you disable the safety linkage or don’t clear the shellplate when you have a stoppage, there is no need for a powder cop if you pay attention as you’re seating the bullet by hand. If you later decide that you want another press you can sell it in hours for 75% of new or better.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the Dillion 550. If you want the powder cop I suggest the 650 because it be 5 stations. Dillion makes great machines and their customer service is #1 bar none.

I have the 550 and I'm very happy with it, but sometimes I wish I had bought the 650 instead. I like to reload but sometimes it's a chore and the 650 would make quick work of what I do.

A friend has the Hornady LNL and likes it a lot. I don't hear much about RCBS Pro Chuckers but they look decent too.

Banned
    for what your needs are a Dillon SDB, no powder check but can get a powder level alarm. Have owned several progressives , Star, CH, Hornady, RCBS. Dillon is the way to go

Boolit Master
    I've loaded six figures worth of rounds on my SDB. I'm quite happy with it, but would add to the advisories above that it doesn't do rifle cartridges and it's a bit tight for folks with large hands.

Boolit Buddy
    Go with Dillon 650/750 since you may load rifle. Buy the case feeder. A lot of machine. I also have the Dillon SDB and love these little machines for pistol. Dedicate a machine and load away.

I have two 550 Dillons: one set up for small primers & the other set up for large primers. I couldn't be happier. I'd pay extra not to have auto-advance: a personal preference. I don't need a powder checker because I look into each case before seating the boolit. I load rifle cartridges on a single stage. I have not the slightest
    idea how many rounds I load in an hour so that doesn't factor into my choice. All I can say is the Dillon beats the heck out of handling the case 4 to 5 times per round to get a loaded round.

Boolit Buddy
    I've got 3 Dillon 550 presses. For me Dillon the only way to go.

Boolit Master
    I started on a Dillon SDB. I only thought I’d load 9mm, I was foolish! That is not to say the SDB wasn’t a good purchase. I loaded a ton of ammo on it. It did break and I thought I would have to send it in for service so I bought a 550C to tide me over. They sent parts for the SDB. I loved the 550 so much I kept it and passed the repaired SDB on to a new loader on this site for a fair price for both of us. You won’t go wrong with either and if you decide to do rifle, you should be able to move into a 550 with a very small layout of cash if you sell the SDB.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    My son and I run two Hornady LnL progressive presses...one for small primer, one for large.
    They both work great.
    I sold both of my Dillon 550s...they were superfluous to our needs.

Boolit Master
    I went with the Hornady LNL right after Sandy Hook.

It took a little bit of futzing to get it smoothed out but I have not used it a lot since.

I own it mostly in case I need to load a lot. You never know ........

I load a lot of rifle and many different cartridges so I liked the click in die change and not having to buy different dies.

The thickness of the head of the press and the bushing system makes Lee dies come up a little short in the body length on several calibers.

In real small cases like .380 auto there is a tendency to spill powders over the mouth with somewhat bulky powders (red dot) as the auto index can be a little jerky. It’s a two step indexing but it still is a bit twitchy. That loose powder always finds its way into the primer shuttle. As a result I had to grind the bottom of the nose of the part that delivers the primer.

Also the ejection was just a little grabby and a little polishing was in order.

I set up for .223 once and gave that up because of powder bridging in the Hornady drop section of their measure. The powder was the culprit, an old extruded number from Hercules (RL11).

I have experienced the powder measure unlocking as well as some dies. You need a fatter O Ring or the shim kit from Hornady if that happens.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Buddy
    I bought the Hornady LNL AP when they first came available good price and at the time 1000 bullets.I have had all the little issues that people post about. The ones that required new parts Hornady sent quickly and free the polishing and enlarging shell plates so they would work I did myself.My machine is working fine now and has been for some time but the one thing I can't fix is the powder spilling when the case is over 2/3 full especially with flake powder.When I bought my LNL AP the price difference was greater never drank the Blue Kool-Aid but kinda wish I had.If I was buying today it would be a 750

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you all for info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
    A question that is asked every week on one or more of the reloading forum sites.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ht=progressive
    And thank you Kevin for this link. I didn't search hard enough.

Seems to me that Dillon is the way to go. A friend, dealer, has used (his own) Square Deal, but he strongly recommends going straight to new 750. He is also telling me to get case feeder. Well, I was watching another friend using 450 and 550, making something like 200-250 rounds in one hour, that is more than enough for my needs.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Onty View Post
    Seems to me that Dillon is the way to go. A friend, dealer, has used (his own) Square Deal, but he strongly recommends going straight to new 750. He is also telling me to get case feeder. Well, I was watching another friend using 450 and 550, making something like 200-250 rounds in one hour, that is more than enough for my needs.
    I used a 550 for 30-years and when it stopped working reliably and I got tired of replacing parts, bought a 750 w/o the case feeder. It works, but ended up getting the case feeder. Both have their bugaboos, but together, I can safely turn-out 400-rounds of ammo an hour. The 750 requires you to be more careful than the 550, but turning-out 100-rounds in 15-minutes is pretty kewl.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DillonXL750.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	273977
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master

One of my friends has a Hornady. He came to my house when his equipment was temporarily in storage. He was blown away by the difference between the Hornady and my Dillon, by far preferring the Dillon. You do want the 650 for a powder check station and you really do want the case feeder. I have both a 550 and a 650. Got the 550 in 1991 to load 38/357 and was shooting about 400 rounds per trip to the range at the time. The 650 is usually set up to load .40 S&W and it takes me 20 minutes to load 300 rounds with pre-loaded primer tubes.

USPSA has the same Dillon participation rate as IDPA; almost everyone that reloads in USPSA uses a Dillon.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Dillon 550 owner here, something like 25 years.

Suits my needs, is capable of 400/hr. I run it around 250-300/hr.

Now the 650/750 is a heck of a press - son in law just got one, we've been playing with it.
    Kinda finicky on the setup, but jeeze Louise ! Once happy will really crank em out !
    For 500 rounds or less, taking into account setup for calib - I can beat him with my 550. And he has the case feeder.
    Haven't looked at conversion kits, but I assume 550 cheaper.
    Only ding on the 550 is 4 station, unless you seat and crimp on one stage - no powder check. Not and issue to me - I trust my measure and try to look in the case as I put bullet in.
    You will be pleased with either, Dillon rocks ! Cust serv is second to none.
    I called one day for parts; yea, I ham handed it and broke stuff, admitted it to CS, "No worries Sir-parts on the way - what, no sir I don't need your cred card number, just your cust num for address - have a nice day".
    Prob $50 in parts, gratis.
    I heard thru a trusted friend; a friend of his had a 650 setup in his garage, wife had a boo boo, mashed it with her truck - hard.
    He called CS, told the truth, told to "send it in, we'll look at it".
    Got a call a week after sending it, "we're sorry sir, it's totaled", pause for dramatic effect, "we are sending you a new one".
    Guy asks the lady "you did that on purpose, didn't you ?".
    "Yes Sir, ......... have a nice day"
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

6000 rounds a year is a pittance for something like a 650/750, that is 125 a week. Best bang for the buck would be the Lee classic turret. If you have the 1 hour each week to use it. Cheap caliber changes, good measures. Same exact patent for the dillon measure, as Mike Dillon paid Richard Lee for the rights to copy his designs.
    However, if you want to burn money, and it is America and all that, if a 1500+ dollars worth of press makes you happy then go for it. It will take at least that much by the time you are all in. That goes for the hornady also, and don't get near a green one, that isn't rcbs' thing.
    But, a 650/750 can knock out that 6000 rounds in a couple weekends and then sit for the rest of the year. I know this because I have one, also, that 650/750 won't run for squat without the case feeder.

My first press was/is a Dillon 650, and evolved into 2 650s and a 1050 (and several single stage RCBS). 1050 is used for case prep on bottle neck rounds. I prefer loading on the 650(s). All the Dillons have case feeders. Love my blue koolaid.

Good friend had a Hornady LnL AP (he's a machinist, engineer, and had a manufacturing SOT FFL for a time), and he hated it enough he bought a 650 to replace it, and won't sell the LnL to anyone he knows. He loves his 650.

I'd jump into a 650/750 again in a heartbeat. Like all presses, they have their quirks too, but most have been related to my keeping them cleaned and lubed properly.

YMMV.

Boolit Buddy

I'm still loading on my (1983) 2nd Dillon, a RL450 with up grades, the 1st was a RL1000, still loading on it too. I have four 1050s, three Stars, and some 550s plus all the other single stage crunchers. Get a 550 and load away. When the demand for ammo gets to 20 to 30 K, then think about a big progressive.

"I have a Lee Touret" "Tourettes", LMAO mental picture of rapid fire swearing at the Lee, Hyyukhyuk got tears on that one..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wildwilly501 View Post
    I bought the Hornady LNL AP when they first came available good price and at the time 1000 bullets.I have had all the little issues that people post about. The ones that required new parts Hornady sent quickly and free the polishing and enlarging shell plates so they would work I did myself.My machine is working fine now and has been for some time but the one thing I can't fix is the powder spilling when the case is over 2/3 full especially with flake powder.When I bought my LNL AP the price difference was greater never drank the Blue Kool-Aid but kinda wish I had.If I was buying today it would be a 750
    If you replace the case spring with a 2.5mm by 69mm inside diameter o-ring the powder spill issue will be gone. Before installing o-ring take a small amount of case lube or lanolin and put a very slight coat on it.