MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just goes to show any company can make a bad bullet.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Knowles, interesting. Always understood primer compound was dried liquid not a powder. And I have 7000 plus primed empty 22LR cases in inventory
    There is a video on the forum here someplace that shows how they prime rimfire sort of a slurry or paste that goes on a tool that spins and slings it into the rim .

Boolit Master
    I can't begin to tell you how many cases of Eley I've shot and never had a failure to fire. This will be the first I've ever heard of. I guess it can happen to anybody. I'm glad it was somebody else so I didn't have to call for an alibi.

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Strange things happen with ammo, and occasionally it gets by Quality Control.

I remember seeing an FBI contract 230 grain .45 ACP Federal Hydrashok with a bullet seated upside down in the early 1990's.
    Robert
    I found a factory 40 S&W at the range that had the bullet upside down too. All the brass I picked up with it led me to believe it was factory. I've still got here somewhere but I Dont recall the maker.

Boolit Master

In the Army, we'd encounter 7.62 Nato rounds like that quite frequently. No primer holes. In a mini-gun, the primer would fire, back out and jam the bolt. No damage to the gun but a stoppage when you didn't want one and this was with 750 round belts from functional lots./beagle

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Several years ago, I was running a 9mm at the range and had a misfire with new, factory ammo. The primer was well dented so I put it in my pocket and pulled it apart when I got home. Turns out, the brass had no flash hole to allow the primer to do it's job.
    That is the only one of those I have ever seen.
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RKJ View Post
    I found a factory 40 S&W at the range that had the bullet upside down too. All the brass I picked up with it led me to believe it was factory. I've still got here somewhere but I Dont recall the maker.
    I would have sent it.

I had a CCI minimag that failed to go off the other day, even after a couple more attempts. I've shot several thousand over the years, not a crazy amount, but they've always been my gold standard for reliability. It's to be expected with 22.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    There is a video on the forum here someplace that shows how they prime rimfire sort of a slurry or paste that goes on a tool that spins and slings it into the rim .
    Don't know if this is still current info but when Federal took a shot at making Olympic level 22 ammo they detailed how they changed the process. One of the things that they did was to start spinning the primer slurry like Eley was doing on they higher end ammo. Before that a droplet of priming slurry was inserted into the case and a ram pushed it to the outer edges. At one type that was how all rimfire ammo was primed except the high end Eley and the Federal Gold Medal.

Using centrifugal force is clearly a better way but does increase cost so I don't have a clue how widely it is being used today. Also since rimfires don't use an anvil there is ground glass in the priming compound.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...ut-22-rimfire/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I never had enough FTF to remember until the Obama panic. Ever since then the companies have backed off QC. Peddle to the metal, get it out the door. Bulk 22s didn’t have the failure rate of the 50 box premium today. CF ammo I’ve never fired enough factory to judge it. You never herd the stories you hear today. I’ve got a lot of factory ammo from accumulating on gun deals. I would bet any name brand stuff prior to 2000 Y2K will fire 100%.

Boolit Master
    Waaaay back, GONRA understands those Big Phat Rimfire Cartridges were primed by
    SPINNNG THE CARTRIDGE CASE to get the wet mix UNIFORMLY into the rim.

Cartridge Collector Literature and Catalogs frequently mention "priming centrifuge marks"
    on the head of these these cartridges were it was gripped by the priming equipment.

Today's rimfire cartridges seem to be primed by a spinning
    INTERNAL TUNGSTEN CARBIDE GROOVED ROD
    that flings the wet priming mix into the stationary cartridge rim.

Modern Day Method must be FASTER since the rotating equipment never stops & starts.
    But the olde method probably makes a more uniform product.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Strange things happen with ammo, and occasionally it gets by Quality Control.

I remember seeing an FBI contract 230 grain .45 ACP Federal Hydrashok with a bullet seated upside down in the early 1990's.

Robert
    Several years ago when I had a 357 Sig had a box of 50 and one bullet was seated upside down. Do not remember what brand but is was one of the big one's.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I never had enough FTF to remember until the Obama panic. Ever since then the companies have backed off QC. Peddle to the metal, get it out the door. Bulk 22s didn’t have the failure rate of the 50 box premium today. CF ammo I’ve never fired enough factory to judge it. You never herd the stories you hear today. I’ve got a lot of factory ammo from accumulating on gun deals. I would bet any name brand stuff prior to 2000 Y2K will fire 100%.
    My experience is so far different from yours as to boggle the mind. I shot many thousands of 22 LR in the late 70's and I had numerous FTF's. With the Remington-Peters and Federal K-Mart cheapies that I bought in bulk, I could expect at least 2 per sleeve. I still remember a Sleeve of Peters Standard Velocity that set the all time record. I had at least one "no-bang" in every box, >1 per 50. Some would fire if repositioned and shot again, some simply wouldn't shoot at all. CCI was better, but it was more costly $2.49/100 versus $5.99/500 for the cheapies..
    Modern stuff is much better IME. I shoot 90 rds a week in NRA Bullseye competition in a Colt Match Target and save for some Eley club ammo I have not had a FTF in months. (That Eley stuff was on sale--now I know why)
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I mentioned this one earlier on this thread.
    Apparently a CCI Mini Mag " wadcutter"

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Couple years ago, my son and I were in a gun store looking at a Marlin chambered in.444. He asked me what the cartridges looked like so, I grabbed a box of Remington .444 from the shelf. I opened it to show him and one of them had the projectile in backwards. That's my two cents

I just had another failure to fire with Eley Match. Struck it 3 times in various places around the rim. No go.

if all .22 rf weren't famous for their FTF since forever, they would be more hi-cap plastic semiauto pistols carried for self-defense.
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Just proves the point that "nothings perfect". And I would rather have my .22 Match ammo have a misfire at the range then have my Safari Grade ammo have a hiccup just as the lion comes out of that tall grass.....
    NRA Benefactor

I had two failures to fire on the first strike with Eley Match today on two different rifles. I checked the strike and both were significantly dented. I gave them half turn and re-inserted them into the chamber and both fired. They also went into the group with the rest of the shots at 50 yards.
    I checked the fired cases and both firing pin marks look identical. Apparently, the priming compound didn't get an even coating all the way around the rim.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sandog View Post
    Remington had that problem some years ago, inconsistent priming compound around the rim. Lots of FTF.
    They got it straightened out though. I've bought and shot around 12 bricks of Golden Bullets in the last two years and had not one misfire.
    They are as clean burning as anything else and are close behind Mini-Mags for accuracy in all my rifles.

But many will badmouth GBs till the end of time because of memories of those bad years.
    If anything, Remington ammo should get even better now that CCI/Speer/Federal owns them.
    It’s that it’s just hard to get over Mr. Bushy tail laughing at you over his acorn when your S&W 317 goes “click, click” instead of “boom, boom” (why yes, it was TWICE thank you for asking!) And what to do with the remaining 498 of those treacherous little . . . .

I’ve always loved my Brunswick Stew,
    So any brand but GB will do.

Boolit Master
    Not related to rimfire, but related to goofs with good ammo. While decapping 9mm recently I had a case that the decapping pin would not go through the flash hole. I looked and it was noticeably smaller. Given my abundance of good 9mm brass and the aggravation of getting a pin stuck or bent, I tossed it in the scrap box. It was a Norma case! I had several more in that batch of brass and all of them had the noticeably smaller flash hole. It hurt to scrap once-fired Norma brass of any description, but that's what I did.

If you reload and or shoot competition you pay attention to QC and you notice when a company gets off the rails. Just because X made it does not mean X is bullet proof.
    By the way, Eley is no longer Eley of old, the French/Belgium consortium bought them when they went around the earth buying up the better brands or makers in different industries in different countries.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    In industrial manufacturing seeking a ZERO defect rate is a noble quest but an unattainable one due to a variety of acceptable reasons. A defect rate as low as possible is the goal and rates of one in a million ( 1.0x10^6 ) are the norm. In a production environment, this is an ASTOUNDING defect rate. To find a defect that left the factory is not rare especially one that can't be seen with the naked eye or a mechanical detection system like a laser height monitor.

For an active shooter, you will find more 4-leaf clovers in your lifetime than you will defective factory ammunition. In a past life I worked statistical process control for a Fortune 500 company (when those still existed with actual assets and production capacity worth their stock value) where great emphasis was placed on uniformity and quality of product. Even with our best efforts, bad product happened due to human or mechanical or raw material problems. Like they say - doo doo happens.
    Last edited by Tar Heel; 10-24-2021 at 09:26 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast