Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just goes to show any company can make a bad bullet.

Just goes to show any company can make a bad bullet.

I get failures to fire occasionally with 22lr ammunition. Some brands more than others as we all do.
    Today I got a surprise. I had an Eley Tennex(their best match grade ammo) fail to fire in my new CZ 457 match rifle. I hit it twice in the same spot to be sure. No bang. Big surprise for what is supposed to be the best ammunition out there.
    I removed it from the chamber and turned it so it would strike a different spot on the rim and it did fire that time. It even went in the group with the rest.
    Just bad luck I suppose.
    Just goes to show any company can make a bad bullet.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    tasman: A bad bullet?? Seriously?? I believe that should be a bad CARTRIDGE!! It seems that the BULLET was just fine if it went into the group with the rest of them.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Okay. I will admit my terms were sloppy.

Not to compare with Ely, but I recently found a CCI Mini- Mag cartridge in a brand new 100 pack that was missing the bullet nose- resembles a wadcutter. Im sure ill shoot it one of these days.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I was disassembling some .22 LR ammo a week ago. Basically pulling the bullets and dumping the powder. Some of the rounds, the dumped powder had primer compound mixed in and some did not.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Grand Master
    Strange things happen with ammo, and occasionally it gets by Quality Control.

I remember seeing an FBI contract 230 grain .45 ACP Federal Hydrashok with a bullet seated upside down in the early 1990's.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Knowles, interesting. Always understood primer compound was dried liquid not a powder. And I have 7000 plus primed empty 22LR cases in inventory
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Knowles, interesting. Always understood primer compound was dried liquid not a powder. And I have 7000 plus primed empty 22LR cases in inventory
    The priming compound was thin chunks like is flaked off the bottom.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    The priming compound was thin chunks like is flaked off the bottom.

Tim
    Maybe that is what happened to this one. A piece may have flaked off from the rim and left a bare spot. I was just unlucky enough to hit it there.

Boolit Master
    I always figured that was way bulk ammo has more misfires than ammo boxed 50 or 100 rounds to a box. The shake rattle and roll disturbs the priming compound. Looking into the primed cases I can see differences in the distribution of priming compound.

Tim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    John

Here is a picture of the priming compound that came out with the powder.

Attachment 273823

It is green like the stuff still left in the case.

Tim

Boolit Master

I've been given 3 boxes of various caliber ammo by people who had FTF rounds out of each. They knew I reloaded, and I pulled them down and used the brass and bullets. My best friend was given a 22-250 by his children and we went to the range with it. IIRC, it was a Remington with Remington ammo, factory rounds. He fired the first shot to sight it in, then went to eject (bolt action). Action wouldn't work. He and his son worked on it, couldn't open it. Ended up sending everything back to Remington. They fixed it, sent it back, no explanation. People say we re-loaders do dangerous stuff. I have always questioned this, as most of us follow accepted loads or can safely work one up. I've had one squib in my career. I check and re-check.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Several years ago, I was running a 9mm at the range and had a misfire with new, factory ammo. The primer was well dented so I put it in my pocket and pulled it apart when I got home. Turns out, the brass had no flash hole to allow the primer to do it's job.
    That is the only one of those I have ever seen.

I have had a few snafus with factory ammo.

I bought a couple boxes of S&B .223 and several rounds in both boxes had primers seated upside down.
    Had some new Winchester .45 ACP FMJ I was using in a brand new Glock 21 and had a round stuck in the barrel.
    And a 550 round box of Winchester M-22 had maybe 20% of the rounds with bullets that had come out of the case and loose powder in the box, and many rounds that were severely crushed in.

That kinda makes you wonder how many in the box are just like that one, missing or inadequate primer compound somewhere around the circumference of the rim?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    That kinda makes you wonder how many in the box are just like that one, missing or inadequate primer compound somewhere around the circumference of the rim?
    That was precisely my thought. Particularly because Tennex is the pinnacle of Eley's ammo.

Remington had that problem some years ago, inconsistent priming compound around the rim. Lots of FTF.
    They got it straightened out though. I've bought and shot around 12 bricks of Golden Bullets in the last two years and had not one misfire.
    They are as clean burning as anything else and are close behind Mini-Mags for accuracy in all my rifles.

But many will badmouth GBs till the end of time because of memories of those bad years.
    If anything, Remington ammo should get even better now that CCI/Speer/Federal owns them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sandog View Post
    Remington had that problem some years ago, inconsistent priming compound around the rim. Lots of FTF.
    They got it straightened out though. I've bought and shot around 12 bricks of Golden Bullets in the last two years and had not one misfire.
    They are as clean burning as anything else and are close behind Mini-Mags for accuracy in all my rifles.

But many will badmouth GBs till the end of time because of memories of those bad years.
    If anything, Remington ammo should get even better now that CCI/Speer/Federal owns them.
    Remington ammo will just end up being CCI/Speer/Federal in a Green and Yellow Remington box.

Tim

Boolit Buddy
    Personally, I would contact Eley directly about the misfires/ftf of the TENEX rounds, with the lot number from the box.
    Have you tried any of the TENEX rounds in another rifle with the same results?

Only the one misfire so far. IF any more occur I will definitely contact them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast