Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: 50 cal CVA Wolf advice.

Boolit Buddy

50 cal CVA Wolf advice.

I am reaching the point in life where I am going to retire so I am thinking of all the fun projects I want to challenge that I have neglected over the years.

A number of years ago I picked up a CVA Wolf inline 50 cal cheap I want to get shooting with cast boolits. I currently own 4 molds that either with or without sabots might or may not shoot accurate.

Can anyone offer their experiences with a 50 cal inline using any of these these molds? If no experiences, what might be a good mold to add to my inventory that would work with my CVA?

Currently I own the following molds:

1) Lee 50 cal 360 grn hollow base flat nose,
    2) Lee 50 cal 320 grn REAL,
    3) Lee Minnie 454 dia 298 grn M - maybe with a sabot, and
    4) Lee 452 dia, 255 dia RF, maybe also with a sabot.

If you suggest 3 or 4 should I size them so they fit accurately in the sabot?

Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Seasons Greetings and be safe my friends.

Cheers and thanks,

Dave

Boolit Grand Master

Try the 50 REAL to start. An over powder wad often helps with those but should work fine with light loads.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Man
    My hunting load with my inline (CVA Electra) is currently the 320 gr REAL bullet over 80 grains of pyrodex. I get about 2 MOA which works fine for me as the way my land is shots are never over 125 yards and pretty much always a lot less than that. I don't use an over powder wad, just seat firmly. I also have the Lee 354 gr "Modern Minie" that I've cast a bunch of bullets with but haven't shot any of them as I'm satisfied with this for the present time.

MMP makes sabots with different wall thicknesses and for bullets of different diameters.

For instance:
    "The big difference between Black HPH/12 and HPH/24 is that the HPH/24 is .002” smaller in loaded diameter (the diameter of sabot with a bullet inserted). With a .452 diameter bullet the HPH/12 is .507-.508” diameter, the HPH/24 is .505”-.506” diameter. If you have a tight loading rifle you may want to choose the HPH24 or if you have a very tight rifle, consider our 3Petal-EZ."

https://mmpsabots.com/store/hph-sabot-series/

Plus they offer a .50 sabot for .457 - .458 bullets which one of them may work with the minie without sizing.
    If you ordered a sample pack and tried out some different ones you may discover which ones work for you.
    It's depends on your bore diameter.

Be sure to look at both product pages using the links at the top of the page to become familiar with their products.

https://mmpsabots.com
    Last edited by arcticap; 12-21-2020 at 05:49 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Lads I will try an mold up a bunch of 320 grn REAL bullets and see how they work.

Articap I tried a number of sabots and even sized my bullets to spec and still could get any decent accuracy yet.

Will keep at it and report on my results.

Thanks again for the advice folks.

Stay safe, Cheers and Happy Holidays.

Dave

No experience with what you have listed but my dad shoots and inline using the TC style maxi ball , maybe see if you can find a few to try before getting a mould .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

I shoot Hornady Pa conical . In my Wolf and my flintlock for range play. But for hunting i use power belts.
    https://www.hornady.com/muzzleloading/pa-conical#!/
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Man

I run the REAL 250gr in mine with success using 777. I would bet the heavier bullet would shoot well too. I happen to use the Blackhorn 209 breechplug with it which is probably not a necessity but one came with the gun so why not. If the weather complies one of these days, I intend to get some fps readings on it but that's another story...

Boolit Grand Master
    I'd start with the REAL's, too. A lubed felt wad over the powder has always made for better accuracy for me. A dry wad would be better than a wad with excessive lube. Wonder Wads are a good product. Also, use a good lube on the bullet.

Boolit Master
    #4 requires sizing ,it"s what I do in my inlines /sidelocks/Ed

Boolit Buddy
    My cva wolf shoots great with orange sabot from Mml with the Lee 458 320 gr.also green sabot with lee 44 240 gr. Shoots the 320 real pretty good and as stated better with felt wad. Have been shooting 70 gr. (By weight) of Blackhorn 209 with these loads.