WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is buying up all the ammo????

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    In my opinion the manufacturers were caught by surprise by the enormous increased demand, compounded by by hoarders. They plan their production several years in advance. They are motivated to make money so they will increase production, but unfortunately it takes time for them to gear up. The shortages will end in time, but in reality, we will probably be left with higher prices.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Well us young guys are just waiting for you old farts to keel over so we can buy your stash for pennies on the dollar at the estate sale.

I am taking my stash with me.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    In my opinion the manufacturers were caught by surprise by the enormous increased demand, compounded by by hoarders. They plan their production several years in advance. They are motivated to make money so they will increase production, but unfortunately it takes time for them to gear up. The shortages will end in time, but in reality, we will probably be left with higher prices.
    No, I think the actuality was that Covid Panic, yes Panic, shut down almost the entire industry for several months and even when things got up and running again, it became difficult to get THEIR supplies. And there have been intermittent shut downs ever since. Plus super increased demand. Plants are running as much as they can and there IS hoarding going on. Need a couple of boxes? buy 4, or 6.....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    I am taking my stash with me.
    The pall bearers are NOT going to be happy...
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    We have a lots of "video game" and "magazine" new buyers here.
    They have no idea what their doing, but feel big shooting.
    Before the chinese virus, I would see them at the range with loads of ammo.
    Shoot it all and leave.
    Targets look like a shotgun pattern test.
    I too haven't bought ammo for a long time.
    Shops are selling firearms like crazy.
    But being a damacrat state, buyers cannot pick-up because cops closed the registration.
    Being on an island, you would think people would want protection in case something happens.
    Mind set here is gooberment is suppose to protect you.
    One day, they will find out different.
    I read somewhere that after the Pearl Harbor attack, the general citizenry was pressed into service patrolling the beaches. Some didn't have weapons.
    Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

When I was the full-time training officer for my National Guard battalion, I was in charge of the ammo account. We had to forecast our training ammo two years in advance including artillery, demo, pyro and small arms. The government needed the lead time to set up contracts with the suppliers.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    No, I think the actuality was that Covid Panic, yes Panic, shut down almost the entire industry for several months and even when things got up and running again, it became difficult to get THEIR supplies. And there have been intermittent shut downs ever since. Plus super increased demand. Plants are running as much as they can and there IS hoarding going on. Need a couple of boxes? buy 4, or 6.....
    You have a good point about Covid playing a part.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    who buys ammo in the first place?
    Personally I have not bought any ammo for 30 years
    I buy a fair bit of shotgun ammo. Even now I can’t load it as cheap or good as I can buy it and I’d rather spend my reloading room time loading or casting something I enjoy. I rotate my stock of rimfire ammo and what I’m shooting today is probably 15-20 years old.

Mike
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Hoarder, what a wonderful label to blame others for ones own lack of preparedness.

If you truly enjoy shooting and this is your first experience with a major shortage? Eventually it will turn around. Then it's up to you as to how well you fare the next time it happens.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Quote Originally Posted by Gtrubicon View Post
    I think the new hoarders will move on to something different to hoard, then they will be selling to fund their new must have
    There are no hoarders.
    There are no "New" hoarders.
    "NEW FIRST TIME GUN OWNERS" are real.
    Brought to you by every idiot that voted for a communist.
    Burning cities, looters, defunded police, National manmade pandemics and fraudulent elections have a tendency to produce angry Americans.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    The word "panic" gets tossed around much too freely; the better word choice is "frantic". People really don't panic about toilet paper or guns/ammo but those of us prone to fear easily get frantic and that sparks buying sprees.

We know firearms have only two natural enemies; rust and Democrats. Rust we can control but protecting free people from Democrats determined to "change and control us for our own good" are implacable enemies and are virtually impossible for a free people to live with.

Years ago, rampant Democrats were ramping up the rioting in many cities (mostly across the violent northern tier) and we, the people, started buying firearms like never before to protect ourselves from those raging Democrat mobs. And those millions of new buyers immediately bought a lot of ammo.

Same time, many law agencies bought a lot of popular cartridges to bring their own people up to higher standards. Same time, we we millions who are often our own worst friends did too. Those of us prone to frantic buying started stuffing closet shelves with virtually anything within reach. Try as they might, our ammo makers simply can't keep up with such surges. These wild buying peaks indeed swing on 4 or 8 year cycles, i.e., our major election cycles come with normal threats of ever more illiberal elitist goals of new laws crushing the personal freedoms of "those deplorable little people", they being us!

Last year, when it began to look like another wave of Dem vote thefts might actually beat us this time, concerned buyers followed their usual buying paths. Now that our worst fears have proven true, the current legal gun/ammo buying wave has not crested.
    This time, America's internal political enemies aren't even trying to hide their plans so our long simmering fears of unbounded government tyranny is now boiling over, directly in front of us beginning Jan. 21, 2021.

There is still a slim chance that the cheats were so brazen and clumsy that they might have their victory over us snatched away from their claws. God help us. And, if that happens, the frantic buying surge will likely be over by Mother's Day.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Four-Sixty View Post
    I heard, years ago, that a person working for Smith & Wesson said the average firearm is only fired 15 times.

We'll find a new 'normal' and components will be available again. I think its just a matter of time.

I don't think the prospects for the economy are good either. I predict we'll see a lot of cheap like new guns for sale next year.
    Well, compared to some here, I'm not really a shooter, but none of mine have been shot only 15 times. None of them have been shot as much as I'd like, either.

Boolit Master
    The pall bearers are NOT going to be happy...
    I and my stash will be cremated.

Well us young guys are just waiting for you old farts to keel over so we can buy your stash for pennies on the dollar at the estate sale.
    I'm planning on all my stuff being in the boat for my Viking funeral.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    That first post thing.....

He will hopefully carry all his stock right into bankruptcy...
    Quote Originally Posted by la5676 View Post
    No wonder he is well stocked. He will prolly carry that inventory clear into the time all other store shelves restock.
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gtrubicon View Post
    I think the new hoarders will move on to something different to hoard, then they will be selling to fund their new must have
    They will try the same thing as last time. A bunch bought 22lr at $50 a box of 500 and tried to sell it at $75-80 and didn't. So, they either have it still or lost money on it. It's supply and demand. People are going to reach a point where they can't store anymore ammo or have enough and it will be back on the shelves I think.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    Nine years older. And, yup, we do worry more, mostly because we have seen more bad stuff. But, had the same feeling. A friend was fixing to experiment on a shot load for a pistol caliber, and asked me for an ounce or so of Bullseye powder. No biggee as I had about 3 ounces left in an old canister, and then I too had "the feeling of not quite panic" because at first I could not find any more canisters of Bullseye, and then I did; blessed relief!
    Thanks, glad Iam not alone in thinking like that. I am not like that normally and it just hit me how quickly the mindset can change. Merry Christmas!

Here is a response from Federal, Remington, Speer take a look at how they are rising to meet the demand:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIgv...ralpremiumammo
    VOTE, VOTE, VOTE often. In dealing with potential dishonesty or corruption, Something you might keep in mind is a revealing quote by S.W. Erdnase in his book The Expert at the Card Table "Almost every ruse in the game is more or less dependent upon another one."
    Politicians are like babies diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. Mark Twain

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    the new gun owners are.
    Just saw a column on Town Hall <townhall.com> quoting Vista Outdoors' President of Ammunition who stated that very thing; 7 million new shooters and lack of time for production and new hire training means an ammunition shortage.
    That's a very good reason to reload.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast