WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Stuck Round Ball

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Stuck Round Ball

I recently purchased an original French 1777 Tbis from an online auction. It is a rifle that started out as a smooth bore flintlock and later the barrel was rifled and modified for a percussion cap.

When I received it I found that it was still charged with a ball and I think powder as well. By the looks of the gun, I think it has been this way for a long time. Possibly over fifty years. I have been trying to remove the ball with a ball worm. Luckily I seem to have a good hold onto it, which has not always been my experience removing other round balls. I haven’t been able to loosen the nipple yet, but did unblock the hole with a small drill. There seems to be BP in the chamber. I’ve soaked the barrel and charge with Ballistol overnight, but the ball still won’t budge. I’m out of real penetrating oil, but will be getting some later today and try soaking it with that.

What to do next? If it were a gun that was recently loaded I would try to fire it out, by putting a little bit of 4F under the nipple. Because I believe it’s been stuck for so long, I am afraid there may be too much pressure, especially if some of the old powder ignites. The barrel is off the gun and I am considering putting the end of the barrel in boiling water to hopefully loosen things up. Would that be a good idea?

All ideas and advice appreciated. Thanks
    Last edited by GregLaROCHE; 12-18-2020 at 07:55 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I've heard of using a grease gun to push stuck balls out, if you can get the nipple removed and are able to put a fitting on to use with the grease gun. Always thought it sounded like it'd be a real mess to clean up though.

Boolit Grand Master

That’s a good idea. I thought about compressed air, but didn’t think it have enough pressure. Has anyone had experience adapting a Zirt fitting to a nipple hole?

Boolit Master

It worked on a CVA Hawkins.
    Clean up was easier than you would think. Rubber tipped on air gun, pressed hard where the nipple goes, pointed at the garbage can 90-95% of grease went into the can!

Boolit Master
    I have an antique Belgium smoothbore long gun that I had relined in .50. The new liner didn't make it all the way to the bottom of the barrel. With powder, the ball was raised above the end of the liner. Without powder, the ball actually came in at, or slightly below, the end of the liner.
    Of course, one brain-dead time, I didn't put powder in, and the ball got jammed. Bottom line - I couldn't get powder, air, grease, or anything under the ball. Luckily it was pure lead, so I just kept working it with the worm and a screw threaded into a bottom of a metal rod. I cut through the ball, and kept working that screw. Eventually it all came out.
    I actually bought a very cheap bore scope that worked well.
    Last edited by Battis; 12-18-2020 at 08:43 AM.

For cheap good penetrating oil mix ATF with kerosene or diesel fuel 50/50. Pour some of that mixture down the barrel and let set a couple hours.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Man
    I'd try using a metal rod and a 2 lb hammer to whack it in a 1/4 inch or so, then try pulling it out after you've broken it free. My approach to making certain the powder was neutralized and not an issue would be to put the breech in a pot of boiling water until it stopped bubbling, then put in a pot of cold water for a few minutes so when it cooled down the water would get drawn in. Repeat a few times and it might dissolve and flush out a bit of the powder.

Anyway, you don't need to drive the ball down much, just enough to move it and break it free and lighter taps with a large hammer works better than heavier blows with a lighter one. As far as pulling it, if it is still stronger than you are weld a drywall screw to your metal rod and put a slide hammer weight on the end and whack it out with that, either thread it and put a nut on the end or use a cable clamp, but a pair of vise grips will probably hold. I suspect once it is broken free it should move. Good luck!

My concern with grease through the nipple is if this is original the threads are probably cut by hand and non standard and there's a chance of damage if you screwed an adapter in the drum.

Try one of those CO2 thingys, they seem to alwats work.

Boolit Master

I have a ball puller. It attaches to a cleaning rod. And then it screws into the ball. I had to use mine one time. I did soak the ball with oil prior to pulling.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Is taking the breach plug out not an option ?
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Buddy

get a small rope, long enough that doubled, you can tie it around a tree. A larks head around the rod, working end around a tree and pull. Be prepared to land on your butt. Embarrassed to say how many times I've had to do this over the years!
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato

Boolit Grand Master

I have a long cleaning rod made from a Track of the Wolf rod and screw end. Screwed that into the ball, put the end of the rod in my vice, and pulled on the gun. Much like Butler but I didn't land on my butt.

Track of the Wolf makes a very sharp screw ball puller. Works well.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    There may not just be one stuck in an old gun so check

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonaleash View Post
    Try one of those CO2 thingys, they seem to alwats work.
    Yup. I had to do it at the range one afternoon. Keep the barrel level and aimed down range. I had attracted an audience but no-one saw the ball when it came out nor did they see where it landed. I used the CO2 because I couldn't get enough powder through the flash hole and behind the powder to blow it out.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    Is taking the breach plug out not an option ?
    Yes it would be on ones that have a removable plug. My inline does. My flintlock does not.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Ford View Post
    get a small rope, long enough that doubled, you can tie it around a tree. A larks head around the rod, working end around a tree and pull. Be prepared to land on your butt. Embarrassed to say how many times I've had to do this over the years!
    And not a big tree more along the line of a stout sapling. Needs a little rebound action from the tree.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a good ramrod and a ball puller screwed into the ball. I have pulled very hard with the barrel attached to something solid. I don’t want to put too much force on it and strip out the threads in the lead ball. That’s why I’m trying to loosen it first.

The breech plug has been in for well over 150 years. I don’t want to try and get it out.

If I do strip out the threads I’ve made in the ball, I may try to dissolve the powder and remove it from the nipple hole and then try tapping in further in to break it loose, before trying the puller again.

If I still can’t get it out, I guess I’ll try a light powder charge and shoot it out.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    Yes it would be on ones that have a removable plug. My inline does. My flintlock does not.
    What kind of a flinter do you have that you can't pull the breechplug?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    What kind of a flinter do you have that you can't pull the breechplug?
    It’s an original French musket made around two hundred years ago, that was then converted to percussion and rifled. Not sure if the plug can even be removed. I sure don’t want to try to do it.

Boolit Master

Mine is a Traditions buck skinner.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7797_d1450.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	273465
    One round at a time.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast