Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick out a hand cannon

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by downzero View Post
    I'm not even sure I need much more than a 300 grain bullet at 1270+ FPS out of a 4" barrel.
    Not need but maybe want? Double the fun?

The 500 pic I posted earlier in this thread has a 620 grainer going 1150 fps from a 3" barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by anothernewb View Post
    Just picked one up from the LGS the other day. had one (lightly used) with 40 rounds of ammo. 100 new brass and the dies for $1250

Considering the price of firearms now, plus dies and brass.....ya done good! 👍 Did you get the long barrel or the short barrel. If it’s the short.....I’m very envious! Congrats! memtb

Boolit Buddy
    I have been looking to get big bore revolver for a while now. First it was going to be 44mag for my 44th bday but didnt happen. Then it was 45LC for my 45th bday and that didnt happen neither. Seems like next logical move would be to get 460 for my 46th bday. With a 6-8" barrel it would be pretty sweet.

Fired a friends ,357 max blackhawk a few times and another friends 357 mag 2 inch smith and that was aplenty. Worked with guys going through carpel tunnel wrist issues, very painful condition. Did enough hard work with my hands so I’ve go no interest in banging them up some more. .45 caliber 1911s, N frame smiths and Ruger vaqueros are sufficient. But more power to you. Protect your ears and wear a glove.

Quote Originally Posted by seaboltm View Post
    500S&W because they don't make a 600 S&W
    Just you wait and see until they make a 600 S&W. I suppose DD registration would be a real pain...

I'm not planning on getting a wrist-shattering handgun any time soon. While a Big Boom is cool, I'd rather purchase something that I can use all day in a range session rather than fire 12 rounds or so and want to go home.
    Last edited by VariableRecall; 12-18-2020 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by memtb View Post
    Considering the price of firearms now, plus dies and brass.....ya done good! �� Did you get the long barrel or the short barrel. If it’s the short.....I’m very envious! Congrats! memtb
    8" barrel.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    OK, it must of been when you were dispersing your 480 stuff that we got acquainted then. A mold or dies or something I might have purchased, perhaps the Mihec mold?

I also recall telling you that the 480 with Trail Boss was boring. You about swallowed your Adam’s apple on that one! LOL!

Best regards

Three44s
    Yeah! LOL

Just picked up a set of dies in 480 today, so it might be fate. Although the guy at the shop said he hasn’t seen a 480 come through in a long time. But the feelers or out there.
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Not need but maybe want? Double the fun?

The 500 pic I posted earlier in this thread has a 620 grainer going 1150 fps from a 3" barrel.
    Oh no doubt that if some is good, more is better. I just figured if you haven't cranked up your 45 Colt loads to magnum-level status, you might have a project to do that before you get your cannon.

I really want the 6.5" Ruger SBH .454, more for barrel length than the cartridge, because I'm pretty sure my 45 Colt loads that I currently use in my Redhawk would work great in it and if I need even more horsepower, the longer brass/higher pressure will turn it up quite a bit.

Boolit Buddy
    I like big bore. Kinda evolved into a 45 kinda guy. Got started with the convertable Ruger, then to 45-70, then 45 WM. (a deer Hammer) From there the Governor found a home.
    I really like the S&W 460 mostly for the versatility. Being able to drop 4 different length rounds in a revolver is handy & cool. Plus the light Colt loads are great for practice.
    Eventually I want to develop 357 sabot loads for the longer cases. I do recommend the 8" barrels or longer with a compensator for this stomper. Unless of course you are one that needs Bear protection out your back door. The shorter barrels help when you are in a hurry. The fact the 460 has the potential for a 200yd range is also a factor.
    If you have a more singular purpose for a revolver, perhaps the 500 is a good answer.
    I have a couple friends of Alaskan history, the S&W XVR is a favorite of those out in the bush.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Red View Post
    Yeah! LOL

Just picked up a set of dies in 480 today, so it might be fate. Although the guy at the shop said he hasn’t seen a 480 come through in a long time. But the feelers or out there.
    You might have to find one in another locale and have it shipped in then?

I was sort of bent on getting a Rossi carbine to go along with the SRH in the 480 but those are scarcer than hens teeth!

I have always wondered how the 480 runs so efficiently on powder usage compared to a cross comparison with the 44 Mag and the 454.

Best regards

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    I like to point out again, big doesn't have to be painful.

I sometimes shoot 45 LC level loads in 44 mag and 325 grainers @ 1000 fps in 500. Nice and easy. Heavy guns, soft recoil.

I may need to get a real Colt in 45 LC one day. No need but you know.... never had one, they are rare around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Red View Post

Just picked up a set of dies in 480 today, so it might be fate.
    Very good,I like that.

I have a set too plus 100 brass and a Hornady taper crimp. All unopened. Just in case that Linebaugh jumps on me one day...
    Last edited by Petander; 12-19-2020 at 03:47 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Had a 460 and got rid of it, excellent gun just too big to carry. I bought a BFR in 500 JRH and leave it. I am saving my pennies for the next one, probably gonna be a 454 casull to replace the longer range of the 460, but who knows.
    Good luck on your quest

Boolit Master

Even though I will not be carrying this, I understand everyone’s point in the size of the X Frame.

I do think I will get the 460, but will hold out for a 5”-6” barrel that is not comped.

I’m really looking into the Bowen 50 Special st the moment. Just got to find a BH to sacrifice to the project. All of mine or Flattops or Convertibles, and although I’m not emotionally attached to them I do not want to lose them. Thinking of a plain Jane 45LC to send in. So will be on the look for one of those.

And then I got the itch for a BFR too, thanks BKS! LOL

Lefty

Boolit Master
    Have owned and shot several hand cannons. At this point I only own a 4" 500 S&W that I have had since shortly after they first came out...it s just a hoot to shoot and with 350 grain bullets in the 1100 fps range anyone can shoot it...

If you want a .50 you may want to look at the Magnum Research BFR .500 JRH...basically a .500 S&W Special. I've come close twice to buying one just because I have tons of bullets so all I need is some brass.

Bob

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    You might have to find one in another locale and have it shipped in then?

I was sort of bent on getting a Rossi carbine to go along with the SRH in the 480 but those are scarcer than hens teeth!

I have always wondered how the 480 runs so efficiently on powder usage compared to a cross comparison with the 44 Mag and the 454.

Best regards

Three44s
    I didn’t get enough time in with the 480 to really compare it to the 454. But I think the 454 is about the best when it comes to powder/power ratio. Me thinks you would have to go to a 445mag to get closer to it. But I’m talking about off the shelf calibers.

That another caliber I don’t see much of anymore, the 454. Guess the younger generation wants the latest and greatest.

Lefty

Boolit Grand Master
    I have never lusted for one.

Too recoil shy.

I have a NIB Ruger .44 Mag that I should never have bought. Thought it would pair nicely with my .44 Mag lever action. Sold the rifle and need to get rid of the pistol.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I have never lusted for one.

Too recoil shy.

I have a NIB Ruger .44 Mag that I should never have bought. Thought it would pair nicely with my .44 Mag lever action. Sold the rifle and need to get rid of the pistol.
    Thread drift deluxe; far be it from me to tell someone what to do, but if you get a nice 44-40 WCF rifle life is grand. I have also sold every .44 magnum rifle I've owned. A Winchester/ Rossi crossbreed, a Marlin, and two Ruger .44 Carbines. Now we can return to the crew served handgun thread ....

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I sold my 10" SBH after getting the 10" 500.

Generally speaking ,to me SBH was just painful while the 500 was soft, full power loads both.

But this thread makes ME want a new cannon,too... ouch.

Boolit Master
    Lefty,
    DANG ! a Bowen ?!
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY (or something)
    Total lust for a Bowen 50 spl
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Master
    Recoil vs the larger magnums in my book all comes down to loading.

Early in my adventure with the 44 Magnum, I discovered the usefulness of HS-6 powder.

Be it .357, 41, 44, 45 in a strong frame or the 480 Ruger, you take a mid range cast slug properly designed and sized, run it in the mid 20k pressure range and you have a great upper medium field load that is easy on the paws!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast