Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox

Thread: 777 cartridge load guidelines

777 cartridge load guidelines

I’ve read some guidelines for 777 for cartridges on this website and others about “no compression” and such. But I would like to read this on official Hodgdon literature. I can’t find anything on their website. I’m sure there’s something hidden there. Does anybody have a link to what I’m looking for?

I have this, copied from their web page,

"WARNING - Before loading your firearm, stop and read and understand the instructions furnished with your firearm. If you do not have an owner's manual for your firearm, contact the manufacturer and request one. The owner's manual for your firearm should specify a maximum allowable load. Under no circumstances should this maximum be exceeded.
    Make certain that there is no cap, primer or powder in the priming pan of the firearm. Make certain that the firearm is not already loaded.
    All charges of Triple Seven or Pyrodex should be measured by VOLUME not weight. A simple, adjustable blackpowder measure is the correct tool for this job. All loads listed in this brochure are measured by VOLUME.
    Triple Seven is a high energy product designed to provide the muzzleloading hunter with higher velocities when used in the same VOLUME as blackpowder. To duplicate a blackpowder load velocity using Triple Seven, you must decrease the powder charge by 15%. *See WARNING below.
    Pyrodex is lighter in weight than blackpowder and weighs only about 70% as much as blackpowder. However, because Pyrodex yields more energy per pound than does blackpowder, the same volume of Pyrodex gives similar performance to blackpowder. Pyrodex loads given in this manual for muzzleloading guns are measured by volume, not weight.
    Triple Seven In Cartridges: Use data specifically developed for Triple Seven FFG only. Cartridge loads should be used exactly as listed in this pamphlet. You may safely use a card or polyethylene wad up to .030" in thickness to protect the base of the bullet. Loading density should be 100% with light compression not to exceed .100". Testing has shown that Triple Seven will perform best when the bullet just touches the powder. Allow no airspace between the base of the bullet and the powder. Do not reduce loads by means of filler wads or inert filler material such as Grits, Dacron or Grex. Do not heavily compress powder charges. The use of filler wads, inert fillers or heavy compression may cause a dangerous situation, which could cause injury and/or death to the shooter, bystanders or damage property. Do not create loads for cartridges not listed. Contact Hodgdon Powder Company for recommendations concerning other loads. *See WARNINGS below.

WARNING: Never allow an air space in any cartridge loaded with Pyrodex. The loading density must be 100% by light compression. 100% loading density may be accomplished in two ways:
    The case is filled with powder to a level that will provide light compression of the powder (1/16" to 1/8") when the bullet is seated. Bottle necked cases must be loaded in this manner.
    In straight walled cases, filler wads may be used to reduce the powder charge. This is done by inserting card or Polyethylene wads between the base of the bullet and the powder. Wads should be sized to the internal diameter of the cartridge case. The loader must be careful to insure that there are no void spaces in the assembled cartridge. NEVER use any other type of filler material. Be careful as loads are reduced. At some point, the bullet will fail to exit the bore.
    When loading cartridges with Pyrodex or Triple Seven, you may use a powder measure designed for smokeless powders. Learn more.
    Pyrodex does produce a corrosive residue from combustion. Even though this fouling is softer than the fouling produced by blackpowder, firearms should be cleaned after each use. Hodgdon Powder Co. recommends the use of natural cleaning solvents.
    Cartridge cases that have been fired using Pyrodex require special care. As soon as possible after firing, cases should be de-primed and immersed in 50% water and white vinegar. The acidity of the vinegar will neutralize the corrosive residues remaining in the case. Care should be taken to limit the soaking time of the cases in the vinegar to 10 minutes. Soaking for a longer time may cause etching of the brass case resulting in shortened case life. Rinse cases with clear water, dry and polish in a tumbler with corncob or walnut shell media.
    Flintlock: To insure proper ignition in flintlock systems, 5 grains of FFFFG priming powder should be placed into the bore prior to loading the main charge of Triple Seven or Pyrodex. Consult the loading data in this brochure to determine the proper charge for the caliber firearm used and the chosen projectile. The main powder charge should be reduced by 5 grains to compensate for the addition of the priming powder. While holding the firearm vertically, slowly pour the measured charge of Triple Seven or Pyrodex into the barrel. Seat the projectile firmly against the powder. Make certain that there is no airspace between the powder and the projectile. *See WARNING below.
    Percussion Firearms: Select the proper charge from the loads listed in this brochure. Set powder measure as indicated. While holding the firearm vertically, slowly pour the measured charge of Triple Seven or Pyrodex into the barrel. Seat the projectile firmly against the powder . Make sure that there is no airspace between the powder and the projectile. *See WARNING below.
    Do not prime the pan on a flintlock or place a primer/cap on the firearm until ready to begin shooting.
    *WARNING: Failure to follow the recommendations for use of Triple Seven and Pyrodex could result in injury and/or death to the shooter or bystanders and damage to property."

Hope this helps, AntiqueSledMan.

Boolit Buddy
    While attempting to clean up the disaster I call my "reloading room", I came across triple seven load data from Hodgdon that I must have copied in the forgettable past. The information is dated 10/6/2002. I don't know if this info is still out there, but if there is any interest I would try to make it available with a disclaimer.

Quote Originally Posted by salvadore View Post
    While attempting to clean up the disaster I call my "reloading room", I came across triple seven load data from Hodgdon that I must have copied in the forgettable past. The information is dated 10/6/2002. I don't know if this info is still out there, but if there is any interest I would try to make it available with a disclaimer.
    Sure!

I think it would be appreciated..!

Using Triple 7 in an arm, like a Burnside or Maynard cartridge, a complete no no? If it is I have no issue buying real black. Just wondering as I have both FF and FFF in Triple 7 from some years past.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by salvadore View Post
    Sure I’m interested Salvadore, anything about 43 Mauser or 4590?

Boolit Buddy

https://hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploa...anual_2008.pdf

Bottom of page 2

I've been using it in 43. Mauser and 50-95.

Tom