WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Case/Media Separators

Boolit Master
    Had the "pan" collendar style, it just took too long and never got all the walnut media out. I figured the weight of the cases at the primer end made them not wanting to "turn-over" and empty-out, the cranking rotation has them emply of all media in seconds, amazingly quick.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master

I use the Dillon and have since the first made it. I have tried others and always went back to this one.
    https://www.dillonprecision.com/cm-5...8_8_23663.html

Banned
    I've used the Lyman for years Is holding up well.
    https://www.brownells.com/reloading/...ampaign=Itwine

and recently got an RCBS for $5 at an auction
    https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-87076-Ca.../dp/B000KKD1TW

I use mine to separate the pins from the brass and remove all the excess water when wet tumbling.

Boolit Mold
    I'm a kitchen colander user. For rifle cases I just don't sort that many at a time. If you play with the shaking motion you'll find one where the cases roll over nicely and dump out. I do it over a large plastic bowl.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I used a large kitchen colander for years...decided to upgrade to an RCBS unit about 20 years ago. I worked OK but over time and with use the plastic hinges gave way.
    I replaced it with a Dillon unit that has a steel hinge...works very well. I highly recommend the Dillon unit.

Boolit Mold
    I inherited a rcbs case/media separator when a friend got out of reloading. It’s ok. I used a colander before for years. The rotary is easier in my experience.

Boolit Master
    I have the Dillon one and like it. When I do 22 LR brass they will not fall thru the slots but the pins will.

Lafaun
    Just staying at home and playing with multi-color boolits.

Boolit Bub
    I use the Lyman for wet tumbling, a Cabela's for sorting different size brass and the Dillon for the dry media.

Boolit Buddy
    Resurrecting this thread. I bought the Frankford arsenal unit that is made for wet or dry media, I have run ad least 10K cases through this mostly wet with SS pins, works exceedingly well and is far from flimsy. Recently I was using my old Lyman vibratory cleaner being lazy, I use rice as a media which works well but is difficult to get out of .22 caliber cases, I decided to try the Frankford separator and was truly impressed! It took about 10 turns to completely empty several hundred 5.56 cases completely. I am beyond pleased with the Frankford unit, it was very reasonably priced and shows no wear whatsoever, it is efficient, and very easy to use.

Boolit Master

I bought the Lyman.
    it is working fine to separate SS pins.

I bought the RCBS separator 6 months ago. I wish I did it at the onset of my reloading. Quick and easy. Plus I am a fan of RCBS due to their fine customer service, actually that is why I bought their separator.

Boolit Grand Master

I have the big dillon now. But before that i used one made with a minnow trap for the basket and a plastic storage container. worked well for dry media wet media and separating the balls from bullets moly coated.when I made it I cut the handle slots deeo eniugh so that the lid could be put on when turning. Saved a lot of dust and mess.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gifbohane View Post
    I bought the RCBS separator 6 months ago. I wish I did it at the onset of my reloading. Quick and easy. Plus I am a fan of RCBS due to their fine customer service, actually that is why I bought their separator.
    To each his own; a company that provides lavish "customer service" costs more than others. After all, at the end of the day nothing can be truly free and someone has to pay for all of that "free" parts and service!

IMHO, how valuable "free" repairs and parts is to anyone depends on how clumsy he is. Those who don't bend or break many tools end up paying for those who do. In some 55 years of reloading, I've had to order a few decap pins and one "C" spring that holds shell holders in the ram. The pack of headed pins were Lyman and I paid for them, the broken "C" spring was RCBS and it was free.

My total repair parts cost for 55 years of work came to less than $5 and I've saved a LOT more than that by not buying much green stuff just so I could get free parts.

Boolit Master
    Made one from a wire mesh office size trashcans I got at the flea market. Plywood lid fits in the top against 1x2's attached to the length of the inside. Leftover closet rod through a hole in the plywood and bottom. Notched the handle area on each end of a plastic tote. Works really good on any brass to remove walnut media. $2 for the trashcan and scrapped the rest.

My buddy has the large separator from Dillon and loves it. He does really large batches for resale.

Boolit Master

About 2 years ago my research lead me to the Dillon. I chose the smaller size and it is big enough for what I do. However the smaller size requires two batches for one drum of brass from my rotary tumbler. You need to rinse the brass in clean water a couple of times to get it properly rinsed and remove the pins. Even the small one takes about 4 gallons of water times 2 for rinsing.
    The Dillon seems to be well built. I would go the same route if I had to do it over. Another thing is storage size. The big one is well big.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    About 2 years ago my research lead me to the Dillon. I chose the smaller size and it is big enough for what I do. However the smaller size requires two batches for one drum of brass from my rotary tumbler. You need to rinse the brass in clean water a couple of times to get it properly rinsed and remove the pins. Even the small one takes about 4 gallons of water times 2 for rinsing.
    The Dillon seems to be well built. I would go the same route if I had to do it over. Another thing is storage size. The big one is well big.
    Storage was exactly the reason I went with the smaller Dillon, but if I had to do it again I would get the big one. My home built tumbler is pretty big requiring three batches through the tumbler.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12