WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Case/Media Separators

Boolit Master

Case/Media Separators

I am in the market for a rotary media separator.
    I see a number of them for sale, RCBS, Lyman, Frankfort, Etc.
    What are your experiences with these?
    thanks, dale
    Last edited by dale2242; 12-13-2020 at 05:01 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have this one . It will sort and separate cases and seems to do well with pins but it is the only rotary one I have used so nothing to compare it to.
    https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabe...edia-separator
    I also have one similar to this for dry media mine has a hole in the center for the stud that holds on the lid , you pour the cases/media in a bucket mount this on the vibrating tumbler turn it on and pour cases/media back in to vibrate separate the media.
    https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabe...dia-sifter-pan

Boolit Buddy
    Without going down stairs. And looking I believe I have a Lyman seporator. I inherited it from my dad when he passed away. I took a quick look online at most of the newer ones. Mine did not come with a bucket or cover. Not sure why you need a cover when cranking, because you don't crank like a banshee. But if quality is a question. Mine is at least 30 years old. And it works very well. Doesn't matter when using dry media or wet stainless pins.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Frankfort here, bought new as an upgrade from a pail and colander. I use dry media but I guess it’s nice to have the capability to go wet/pins in the future.

Does what I need it to do and seems durable enough

Bought a plastic 1.99 colander from the thrift store. I just dump my tumbler into the colander and run my hands through the mix to flip the brass to get the dry media out of the cases. My simple idea only works with pistol cartridges. I dump the media back into the tumbler a couple times during the process as it piles up under the colander. Of course I do this inside a box to catch the media. Easier than picking the cases out one at a time.

Boolit Master
    depending on how handy you are and what resources you might have its not difficult to make a screen frame out of 2x4s and 1/4" hardware cloth

I've used the Berry's separator for many, many years, and find it to be about the best design I've tried.

Here's the link: https://www.berrysmfg.com/product/rotary-brass-sorter

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

I have a cabelas tumbler and it came with a colander style separator that looks like a gold mining pan with holes. I have found if I take a lid and put on it and hold while shaking, most if not all of the media filters out.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by XDROB View Post
    Without going down stairs. And looking I believe I have a Lyman seporator. I inherited it from my dad when he passed away. I took a quick look online at most of the newer ones. Mine did not come with a bucket or cover. Not sure why you need a cover when cranking, because you don't crank like a banshee. But if quality is a question. Mine is at least 30 years old. And it works very well. Doesn't matter when using dry media or wet stainless pins.

Having a lid keeps the water from flying everywhere when separating SS pins after wet tumbling. I tumble them IN water to help wash the pins out of the cases.

Boolit Master

I use a steel wire mesh basket for a media separator. I shake it over a plastic bin. The baskets are a buck at the dollar tree.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 1I-Jack View Post
    Having a lid keeps the water from flying everywhere when separating SS pins after wet tumbling. I tumble them IN water to help wash the pins out of the cases.
    I don't crank so fast that I have to worry about splashing. What I do is pour them from the tumbler into the separator. Water goes into bucket. Then I crank a few dozen times. I then pour the brass into a towel to dry. Sometimes I turn a small fan in to blow across the brass to help dry quicker. I have a strong magnet taped to the side of the bucket. Then I pour the water into another bucket. With the magnet side down to catch any loose pins. The magnet is taped a few inches from the bottom to let the water drip out of the trapped pins. I let that dry for a few days and then untape the magnet to let them fall into the bucket. Then I use the Franklin Armoury pin picker upper (lol) and put them back into the storage bags.

Boolit Master

I should have stated that I want a rotary media separator.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    Just get this one, it's cheap and works great. I use mine with pins, but can also be used with other media. This is an upgraded version, I think you can adjust the opening to separate different cases, though I always hand sort.
    https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...h-brass-sorter
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	038-39555.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	273179
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Just get this one, it's cheap and works great. I use mine with pins, but can also be used with other media. This is an upgraded version, I think you can adjust the opening to separate different cases, though I always hand sort.
    https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...h-brass-sorter
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	038-39555.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	273179
    This is identical except for color to the one I got at cabelas

Boolit Master
    Best is the Dillon. The opposite of flimsy.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    Your going to find most are the same, just re labeled and or a different color.
    I have a older RCBS. The latches are poorly made and one of the handles broke early in life. It also takes up a good amount of space.
    Depending on your needs.
    If you can check them out in person even better.
    RCBS and STM are the same.
    Old spaghetti strainer works good also as long as the holes are big enough.

Banned

have had the cheap ones. they work but one of the best investments ive made is the big dillon seperator.

Boolit Master
    Another Dillon user, wish I had purchased it years earlier.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Grand Master

I have the larger Dillon and it has worked well for years. I recently bought an RCBS to have a smaller easier to use unit and I was not happy with it. It has grooves inside each end that were just the right size to catch and hold the little stainless pins.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    I use a steel wire mesh basket for a media separator. I shake it over a plastic bin. The baskets are a buck at the dollar tree.
    Ditto. My Dollar Tree wire mesh office waste paper basket has done a fine sifting job for decades.

I store my loose media, sifting basket and Lyman 1200 vibrator in a lidded plastic HomeDepot 5 gal paint pail so everything is protected in a compact package under my bench. I just pour my cases and fine grit (40/20) cob media into the tumbler. When it's done I put the wire mesh basket in the pail and pour the tumbler contents into it. I tilt the pail to about 45 degrees and then hand rotate the basket 3-5 times; all the cases are quickly emptied and everything is ready to be put away again.

No $50+ hand crank media sifting device can beat it for effectiveness and simplicity, never mind the cost savings!
    Last edited by 1hole; 04-05-2021 at 12:35 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast