Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clean kill with 30-30 on last day...

Forgot to mention, my current lead slinger is a 1970 Marlin 336 in 30-30 with Microgroove rifling. Shoots wonderfully with cast, but I took the time to lap it and make sure the tightest part of the bore is the muzzle. Bullets are sized to .310, bore measures .309 at breech and .308 at muzzle. Scoped it with a Leupold Vari-x II 1-4 power.

Interesting color pattern on that deer, lots of white. Nice shot also.

Just to add some information... I did find that the bullet penetrated and broke the offside shoulder before exiting the deer's body. Probably had something to do with why it dropped so quickly!

What load did you run with the bullet? I am waiting for the same mold to be come available to load for the 30-30 and will use a ladder load to see what I like the best using 3031. Did you Powder coat it? Might even try it for 30.06 as I have not found a larger FP bullet I like yet.

I think the flat nose shock knocked her down. I have destroyed shoulders with 50 cal BP and 30.06 and watched them still run off on three legs, until they fell over from loss of blood.

Boolit Grand Master
    Now that's the way to do it
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

I've loaded that same 311041 in 7.62x39 in a handli rifle and done-in several deer. It works great down at 1800fps also!
    Avatar - 2006, my oldest son (6'2"), trying to lift the 95lb Cobia he caught at Cape Hatteras, NC from the beach.

Boolit Buddy
    I use that same bullet , the Lyman 311041 . I first started using in my Marlin 336 . Then I sold the Marlin when I got my 1946 Winchester 94 . Interesting , my Winchester uses the same size as my Marlin did . I use 25 grs of IMR 3031 or 26-28 grs of IMR 4895 with great success . From what I can gather , the velocity runs about 1700-1800 depending on which powder and charge weight . The reason I sold the Marlin was that I had to " knock " with a mallet the rear sight as far over to the right as it would go and even though it was just barely enough to get the POA-POI the same . I thought it was just my rifle or maybe me . Later , had the same situation with my sister's SS Marlin . At that point I decided , if I was going to keep the Marlin , it needed a scope . I have never owned and shot a scoped rifle , didn't see any reason to change . The Winchester is " spot on " , the rear sight centered nicely on the barrel . Regards Paul

That's weird. My sights are centered on the barrel and the 311041 hits point of aim at 50 yards. I do have a 1-4x scope on mine just because my eyes aren't what they used to be. Great rifle!

Boolit Master
    those marlins from 60's and 70's are my favorites, I think marlin was at a peak production point in that era, put out real fine mass produced rifles.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12