Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just looking around today

Boolit Master

Just looking around today

My son in law , against my counciling , bought one of those Mossberg Shockwave guns and wanted some ammo for it. I did not want to give him some of my reloads unless there was none in the stores. Cabelas has a nice store here and sure enough they had AA and Herters target loads on the shelf. I was not sure what he wanted so I got Herters 1 oz 12 ga loads for him to play with. I hope he doesn't put his eye out. I have some old slugs and buck shot I can give him if he feels he needs them. I got what I thought were lighter loads so he can get a feel for how that thing will react when fired. They just do not look like fun to me, but to each his own. I really do not know If I think it's a good idea for him and his family , especially his two boys, to have access to that kind of firepower.

While we were there I noticed they had Starline 41 mag brass at $25 per hundred and 41 mag ammo at $36 per 50 rounds. There was also a S&W 58, 41 mag revolver in the case. $750, I do not know if it is new or used. I have been looking at a Colt King Cobra at another small shop and was trying to figure out a painless way to come up with $1000 to get it, so far no progress. On the other hand $750 would be easier to cone up with that $1000. I told my son who was with me that the S&W might be cooler than the Colt and he could feel free to buy it for me. He is 15 so that might not happen.
    I really kind of think the 41 Mag was whispering to me.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Banned
    Love my .41 mag. You’ll not regret getting it for yourself for Christmas. Pick up some brass for it along with the factory ammo.

Boolit Master

I do already load for 41 mag and have a lot of brass for the Blackhawk Bisley.

Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

I'll bet you could have a lot of fun with that S&W .41 mag, especially with brass being available. I've got one the I had imported from a friend in Canada who no longer wanted it. Long and complicated story, so I'll save it for another time. Anyway, he was in the metal refinishing business and coated this one with Teflon. It's a big revolver, fun to shoot, for all practical purposes about like the .44 Mag. version. Less fun to carry for long distances unless you use it as your primary hunting weapon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM002066.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	273118

Banned
    I just left Cabela's an hour ago, they have nearly nothing in used guns. Two S&W Model 14's at 899 each and a 6" Model 17 for the same. No Mil Surps save for a 999.00 Krag. No 22's which is what I was looking for. New gun racks are almost empty.
    It's been three weeks since I was there, if I wait another three weeks they might have nothing left.

Ken

Boolit Buddy
    I've noticed a distinct downward trend in Cabela's used guns since they were purchased by Bass Pro.
    Cargo

Boolit Master
    The inventory of used guns at my local Cabela's is reduced as well. Maybe half of what it was a year or two ago.

Our local gun store has a fairly normal selection of handguns and rifles.

It was all I could do to go past and ignore the pleading and begging from a .357 6" S&W L frame, and the Model 29 in .44Mag
    as they were tag-teaming on me from inside the glass case.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Bub
    I have noticed the decline in used guns available at our Cabelas in Wheeling WV since Bass Pro took over . they used to have 3 double sided / 2 tier gunracks 20' long full of guns outside of the Gun Library . All the glass cases in the Gun Library had pistols and revolvers jammed into them with room for no more . They also had 6 aisles of rifle / pistol ammo and 3 aisles of shotgun ammo . It has been in decline long before the rush in 2020
    I was just there today and it was pitiful .There was about 2 or 3 pistol/revolvers per shelf , maybe 25 used rifles in racks on the floor , and about 2/3rds capacity of rifles and shotguns behind the glass in the Gun Library. Ammo was pretty much non existent .No pistol or 22 rimfire . the only rifle ammo was 224 valkrie, 25 or 30 boxes of green tip 5.56 nato , and a hand full of abstract hunting rounds that wouldnt even fill 1/8 of an aisle .

There is a Cabelas Distribution Warehouse not a 1/4 of a mile from this store so they must not have any there either .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cargo View Post
    I've noticed a distinct downward trend in Cabela's used guns since they were purchased by Bass Pro.
    Me too. Worst in the Wichita store, but to a lesser degree in KC. Too bad, it was about the only reason I went in there.

Boolit Grand Master

I like my model 58 S&W so much I got some Ahrends Cocobolo Retro Combat grips and made it my avatar so I can look at it every time I post .
    $750 ? Not a bad price , hard to find around here .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

The only time I will go to Cabela's is if someone gave me a gift card. I have spread the word to my gift givers to get Academy or my favorite LGS cards instead, please. I didnt care for them even before the Bass Pro Shops coup. Just sayin'.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    My son in law , against my counciling , bought one of those Mossberg Shockwave guns and wanted some ammo for it. I did not want to give him some of my reloads unless there was none in the stores. Cabelas has a nice store here and sure enough they had AA and Herters target loads on the shelf. I was not sure what he wanted so I got Herters 1 oz 12 ga loads for him to play with. I hope he doesn't put his eye out. I have some old slugs and buck shot I can give him if he feels he needs them. I got what I thought were lighter loads so he can get a feel for how that thing will react when fired. They just do not look like fun to me, but to each his own. I really do not know If I think it's a good idea for him and his family , especially his two boys, to have access to that kind of firepower.

I purchased a Remington TAC 14 just cause. I haven't had so much fun with a firearm since I was a kid. I have shot a lot of trap with it and a couple of geese. At the 16 yard line on trap 19 to 21 is normal for me. Best I've done is 23. Worst was 16.

With 3" goose loads recoil is brisk. Remington states not to fire them from eye level. If you don't you can't hit much. Reality is they are fun toys. Even at eye level it easy to shot high or low unless you real pay attention. For home defense I would never consider hip shooting without a laser.

If you put a laser on them they become a very effective home defense tool. I liked mine so much I purchased a second one. Both have lasers on them. Total I have about a 1,000 rounds through them myself and about that much by others. Anytime I shoot trap will them people ask to shoot them.

As to firepower they are not as effective as a standard shotgun so I'm note sure why you think what type of firepower they have. They are cylinder choke and they pattern same as all cylinder chokes do. Guy that play with short barrel shotguns claim you don't get the claimed short barrel pattern spread until you get to well under nine inches.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 12-15-2020 at 12:54 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Moderator Emeritus

Get the 41, you will not regret it. I put a Hogue grip on my Blackhawk and made all the difference for me with my nerve damage in right hand.

Banned
    A quick note:
    I’m hearing news that Henry will not be making the .41 Mag in their Big Boy Steel line any longer, but will still offer it in their brass receiver line.

Boolit Master
    I am a bargin buyer, not buying anything in this environment. Was in the local Scheels last weekend, not many guns left. The primer case was empty, I mean nothing at all. I did notice they had a selection of shotgun shell. Very few powders, bullets, dies sets or brass left. Commission paid works are going to starve, hope they saved money when they sold all that inventory.

If my son-in-law started talking about wanting a gun, I would let him use something I have. I am just guessing most anyone here could lose a couple and not miss them. I remember a post I read a while back, maybe it was here, the father-in-law gave the son-in-law a nice shotgun or rifle and he told the fella, 'If my daughter comes back, so does the gun".
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master

The suggestion of puttlng a laser on the shock wave is something I had not thought pf. That actually might make the gun a useful tool. I will look into that.

I LIKE IKE

While it would not be my first choice. (Give me Rem 870's any day)

Still any shotgun is better than no shotgun.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    The suggestion of puttlng a laser on the shock wave is something I had not thought pf. That actually might make the gun a useful tool. I will look into that.

The Tac 14 has a m-loc forearm. I put a light laser combo on both of mine. Maybe I got lucky but both lights center on the point of impact and I went with green laser's so they are bright enough that they are visible out to a hundred yards during the day unless it's a very bright full sun. Down side is when dark you see the laser been for the full length of the beam. With the addition of the laser lights they went from fun toys to my primary home defense guns. In the near future they will be getting screw in chokes.

I have a couple of cases of buckshot so that's what they are loaded with. I had planned on trying slugs in them but not at today's prices and availability. Might have to purchase a slug mould. I've maybe fired 10 slugs in my life out of close to 1/2 million rounds so slugs are something I know very little about.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 12-15-2020 at 08:11 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Me too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast