Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fedex ORMD changes Jan 1 2020

Banned

Fedex ORMD changes Jan 1 2020

FedEx Regulatory News: ORM-D Classification Changes January 1, 2021
    9:09 AM.

The final day to use the Other Regulated Materials-D (ORM-D) classification for US highway shipments is December 31, 2020. The ORM-D designation for hazardous materials packages shipped by ground can no longer be used on January 1, 2021.

In most cases the same materials, in the same quantities, in the same packaging, will continue to qualify for relief under US Department of Transportation’s (DOT) limited quantity regulations after ORM-D is phased out. You should refer to the DOT Chemical table to know if your materials are eligible to be shipped as limited quantity.

Limited quantity shipments are typically excepted from UN specification packaging, hazmat labels, shipping papers, and hazmat placards.

What will change is the label you affix to your packages.
    Fedex
    You must use the “new” white square-on-point limited quantity marking for ground shipments shown above. If you ship liquids, orientation arrows are also required [49 CFR 172.312(a)(2)]. Work with your preferred label supplier to obtain the new labels required for use beginning January 1, 2021.

Shippers of limited quantities of hazardous materials are required by the DOT to have hazmat training in place for all employees who can affect the safety of hazmat shipments in transport. 49 CFR 172.704 requires that all employees receive general awareness, security awareness, and function-specific hazmat training.

FedEx® Ground offers online training sessions about how to determine if your shipment can be packaged to the limited quantity rules along with how to ship fully regulated packages.
    Five reasons why you should take the courses
    1. Compliance: Have you received initial or recurrent training?
    2. Containment: Learn proper packaging methods to reduce damages
    3. Communications: Learn to train employees who handle hazardous materials
    4. Carrier: Learn how to best ship your hazardous material packages with FedEx® Ground.
    5. Cost Control: Learn how to reduce shipping costs through Department of Transportation (DOT) exceptions
    REGISTER NOW
    You can’t make the rules, but with FedEx, you can master them.
    Here are some additional resources you may find useful.
    • Learn more about shipping hazardous materials.
    • Qualify to ship hazardous materials with FedEx® Ground service
    • Review the DOT’s chemical table
    • Call FedEx at 800.463.3339 and say “hazardous materials”
    FIND MORE REGULATORY ALERTS AND UPDATES
    FedEx Regulatory News
    Whether you’re a FedEx Express, FedEx Ground, FedEx Freight or FedEx Logistics customer, FedEx Regulatory News is your one stop for vital news about developments that affect the movement of goods.
    SUBSCRIBE TO REGULATORY NEWS

Boolit Master
    Of course I just bought rolls of stickers a few weeks ago.

Thanks for the heads up.

Boolit Master
    Please clarify: is this a change to the federal regulations or is it just FedEx specific (i.e. no-change for United Parcel Service [UPS])?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by edp2k View Post
    Please clarify: is this a change to the federal regulations or is it just FedEx specific (i.e. no-change for United Parcel Service [UPS])?
    It's all carriers. This has been public knowledge for at least 3 years. Unless has changed recently it's only a labeling and nomenclature change. If I remember correctly it's to comply with global standards.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Thank you for posting this. We went to the future reg last November in anticipation of the change. I'm quite sure that few actually keep up with the changing regulations that affect us.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

So, I don't know how this matters. I took the $150 Fedex training recently, have my certificate, and applied and was granted the ability to ship hazardous goods. I have a huge stockpile of primers I thought I would turn into cash, but as I read the DOT regs, the Small Quantity exception does not apply to primers or powder. At least in the amounts that you would want to ship.

The process is complicated, but once you pay for the course, you can talk to the folks at Fedex all you want and they will guide you. I sent out some primers this week, and here is the process:

1) Well packed in a UN 4G rated cardboard box
    2) The official Hazardous Materials Table Name written on the box. For Primers it is: Primers, Cap Type; UN0044
    3) Fill out the shipment on the online software. Open up the Special Services section and fill out much of the same information. UN Class, weight of the hazardous goods, how it's packaged, etc.
    4) Print the regular Fedex Label and also the 8 part OP 900 form.
    5) One part of the 8 part form gets stuck to the box near the label. One part you keep and one part you hand to the driver. The other 4 parts you place in the red and white plastic label holder and paste it to the box
    6) Fedex will come and pick up your hazmat goods at the time and place you selected. You can't drop off packages at the terminal, a Fedex Ground driver has to come get them. Additonally, you can't ship to a residential address. Has to be a commercial address.

The cost is steep. $37 for the hazmat shipping, plus the on call pick up fee plus normal shipping and insurance if you use it. I just shipped 1000 primers to a guy in NC and the total cost was $56. No one would pay that, but with primers going for $300/thousand, people are ok with it.

Note that primers require no additional labels on the outside of the box.

Smokeless powder is technically classed 1.3S which Fedex doesn't ship. But a while back, the DOT reclassified Smokeless Powder to class 4.1 which is a flammable solid. That requires an orange sticker which has 4.1 on it and a bomb in addition to all the other labels discussed above

Other fun facts, you need to keep the record of the shipment for two years, and the DOT can stop by any time to verify you have those records and that you can prove you have sat for the Fedex training.

Normally no one would go through all this trouble, but these days, it's worth it if you have excess stuff you want to sell. I called the hazmat folks at Fedex at least 5 times for advice and clarification. Once you have it down, it's not that bad. The entire process is to allow anyone seeing that box in the shipping chain to know the hazards if there is an accident, fire or other catastrophe.
    Zbench

Boolit Master

Can you still ship loaded ammo with the simple ORM-D label or did it change also? Up to now there has been no HazMat fee requirement.

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve used that white/black label in post #5 for almost 4 years already. Still have several packets left. Sure glad they didn’t change again. At least that’s what I use for UPS

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    Can you still ship loaded ammo with the simple ORM-D label or did it change also? Up to now there has been no HazMat fee requirement.
    I’m curious about this, too. And if you do ship something like a small quantity of ammo, do you have to have the hazmat training?
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Banned

I read up on this when it first came out a few years back.

The diamond on white was to meet all international shipping rules.

As far as I can tell to ship ammo we don't need hazmat license/training.

I have called fedex in the past and they are very helpful in answering my questions.

BPB

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Zbench,
    Thanks for posting that info.

I am looking at getting certified but not being able to ship primers/powder to a residence would be a deal killer. It makes no sense...almost all my primers and powder were delivered to my home????

"Additionally, you can't ship to a residential address. Has to be a commercial address."

I am planning to call PHMSA Monday and will ask that question before getting the training.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy

Don,

It's not a PHMSA thing, it's a Fedex thing. They only allow their Ground trucks to pick up hazardous materials. The trucks that do residential delivery are a different part of the fleet. Looking at UPS, I don't think they have any such limitation. I just went with Fedex because I already had an account and it was easy. The training is not carrier dependent, so if you take the Fedex training and then ship UPS that is fine too. You dont even need the training to be allowed to ship with Fedex. They really don't care what you do, they are just the carrier. If you screw something up and cause a problem, it's the DOT that will be coming down on you, not Fedex. The training is to satisfy the DOT requirement.

Pete

I may look at getting set up with UPS too.
    Zbench

Here is the official guidance from SAAMI on this issue:

https://www.nssf.org/orm-d-small-arm...e=bulletpoints

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    Here is the official guidance from SAAMI on this issue:

https://www.nssf.org/orm-d-small-arm...e=bulletpoints

Hope this helps.

Fred
    Its saying that to ship ammo you need hazmat training? Did i read this correctly?
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Quote Originally Posted by HARRYMPOPE View Post
    Its saying that to ship ammo you need hazmat training? Did i read this correctly?
    It all depends on how 49 CFR 172.704 reads, which I haven't done. There may, or may not, be exemptions. It'll be necessary to read the appropriate section in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) to know for sure.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master

Somebody posted a pic of the new label above, but it was "clipped" . Source of a good pic ? I'm sure somebody sells labels but I do not need many , I've just printed/pasted Orm-D ones in the past . Size requirement ?

Boolit Buddy

In game update. Apparently Fedex can deliver to a residence with the appropriate surcharge on the shipping rate. The info in the training was incorrect apparently. I called and spoke to the HAZMAT section at Fedex and they said as long as the address was validated, it can travel anywhere in the lower 48.

The small quantity label is not used for primers, and it doesn't apply to powder. It does apply to loaded ammunition if you are thinking of shipping that anywhere in the lower 48. If you google FEDEX Hazardous materials table, you will have all the info you need with respect to hazard labels and package marking.
    Zbench

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Powder Bill View Post
    I read up on this when it first came out a few years back.

The diamond on white was to meet all international shipping rules.

As far as I can tell to ship ammo we don't need hazmat license/training.

I have called fedex in the past and they are very helpful in answering my questions.

BPB

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
    Being a guy that works fire service and as a hazmat tech, this has been kind of nice that we're working on standardizing with the rest of the world. It used to be that just us, Canada, and Mexico had a process here in North America. The emergency manual we used was actually referred to as the North America Emergency Response Guide (NAERG). Now that more nations are coming on board due to the amount of international shipping, it's just the ERG.

There's a reason behind the madness, at least.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast