WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Competition Level Airguns

Competition Level Airguns

Hi There,

Just wondering if anybody else here shoots Competition grade airguns, namely the fancy European makes like Feinwerkbau, Steyr, Pardini, Morini, Walther, etc.

From the standpoint of performance, build quality (and price!) they are right up there with the best of cartridge based arms. And, with the cost/availability of ammo they make a lot of practical sense.

I have used air pistols of all of the above makes and really find them to be an integral part of my shooting.
    Here's a picture of my Pardini K2s and a target shot offhand (one hand) at 10 meters.

JimClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5003.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	272917

Nice one hand shooting!

Boolit Master
    Yes I love them, I shot 3 position small bore growing up and missed it. I kinda like the classics, recently picked up an FWB 300, been enjoying it recently.Theres a Crossman 160 co2 that is on the entry level of the 300s era, as well. I enjoy it but it’s loud. Have a Walther LP200, if memory serves, haven’t shot it in quite a while. Was a gift from my wonderful wifey! There’s a Diana 100 single stroke that is SO easy to shoot well. Also like Theoben Classics and Beeman R9 spotters, not as tame as the 10 meter guns but rewarding to shoot offhand decently. Really make you appreciate the compressed air target guns, and even the recoil less 300!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

The FWB 300 is a real classic. I have a good friend that shoots his every single day, 100 shots. He keeps records of the number of shots, chronographs it regularly and calculates for deviation, etc.
    He has over 500,000 shots through it.
    He does all his own maintenance on it, recording when and what is done, parts used, etc.

Banned
    I couldn't shoot that good with two hands...on a bench rest...with a cartridge rifle...and a scope.

Most of the competition-level compressed air guns run near or above $2000. On the used market, you'll see them around $1500. At that price they should have two cylinders, adjustable sights and grips.
    For Club-training, Walther builds a Hammerli-labeled AP-20 for around $900.

Unfortunately, CO-2 airguns seem to be passe now.
    Last edited by mister gizmo; 12-29-2020 at 10:51 AM.

Yes, the newest/latest in competition arms are always expensive.
    There are lots of nice, used guns that use co2 (from a tank, not the little powerlets) and single stroke pneumatic. The co2 arms seem to be especially good values these days, if you can access co2 fills for your tank.

But, even the expensive ones pay for themselves if you shoot alot, just in terms of gas, mileage, time, ammo savings.

Boolit Master
    A couple decades ago I lucked into a used FWB 300 Running Boar for a great price. Couldn't even start to guess how many pellets my boys and I have through it.
    That "Mini Sniping " article in Guns and Ammo started a monster.
    Granted I have a 36 x scope on it, but my "sniper" son got tired of 9mm casings at 30 yds and went for empty 22 casings . Could usually get 4 out of 5 if his brothers didn't harass him.

Really looking into a Discovery PCP (can also be setup for CO2, I happen to still have the full size CO2 cylinder from paint ball days)
    The recent lack of primers (and wanting to hoard what I have) has given the air guns a serious workout.

I lucked out again a few years later and got a Baikal IZH 46M right before the huge price jump.

Decades of great fun!!
    Even the best pellets (a must for the FWB) are inexpensive. And I don't have to reload for it !!!!
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 6string View Post
    Hi There,

Just wondering if anybody else here shoots Competition grade airguns, namely the fancy European makes like Feinwerkbau, Steyr, Pardini, Morini, Walther, etc.

From the standpoint of performance, build quality (and price!) they are right up there with the best of cartridge based arms. And, with the cost/availability of ammo they make a lot of practical sense.

I have used air pistols of all of the above makes and really find them to be an integral part of my shooting.
    Here's a picture of my Pardini K2s and a target shot offhand (one hand) at 10 meters.

JimClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5003.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	272917
    And remind me to NEVER challenge you to a duel !
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Gunslinger1911 mentioned his FWB Running Boar 300s. Those are very sought after, as is the Tyrolean stocked 300s.
    Make sure to occasionally replace the mainspring and seals!
    FWB seems to be a great company that supports their fine quality products.

I still shoot my FWB300 and FWB65.

Boolit Master
    I shoot a Styer Hunting Challenge for sillhouette and a FWB 602 for 10m practice

Since you guys know what you are talking about can I ask a question ? With pneumatic air rifles do you still use a “artillery hold” like on springer air guns or mount the gun as you would any other rifle ? I learned about the artillery hold for springer air guns and my accuracy greatly improved.

Shot a FWB65 back in the 70 or 80s. Was a Beeman dealer at the time.

Shooting this one in the basement now. https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Beeman_P17/614 Beeman P17 for $45. Bought it about 8 month ago. Fine gun for the money.

Artillery hold for rifle. Palm at trigger guard.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    Since you guys know what you are talking about can I ask a question ? With pneumatic air rifles do you still use a “artillery hold” like on springer air guns or mount the gun as you would any other rifle ? I learned about the artillery hold for springer air guns and my accuracy greatly improved.
    None need it.

All 10m guns have some type of mechanism to over come this

Pcp are held like a regular gun.
    Single stroke punamatic are just like PCP

A heavy Springer that is turned to less than 12fpe will not be hold sensitive. I shoot a Tx200 with 24x Weaver that is turned to 11.5fpe. It shoot great to 45yds offhand with regular hold. The gun weighs more than 10lbs
    Last edited by GARD72977; 12-28-2020 at 07:36 PM.

Thank you.

Boolit Man
    Nice old Pardini! I shoot a FWB Model 2 that I bought from a former member of the US pistol team. With it I placed 7 th overall and 3rd in the senior class in the CMP matches at Camp Perry in 2019. My wife shoots a Steyr LP10.
    Air pistol and Free Pistol competition are my favorites.
    JKR

I have a IZH-Baikal 46M air pistol.

Got it back in 2003-2004 (??) for $400.

Still on the original O-rings.
    I did get the B-Squared mount for a red dot.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/IZH_4..._Air_Pistol/78

Quote Originally Posted by JKR View Post
    Nice old Pardini! I shoot a FWB Model 2 that I bought from a former member of the US pistol team. With it I placed 7 th overall and 3rd in the senior class in the CMP matches at Camp Perry in 2019. My wife shoots a Steyr LP10.
    Air pistol and Free Pistol competition are my favorites.
    JKR
    Well done sir!

Quote Originally Posted by 6string View Post
    The FWB 300 is a real classic. I have a good friend that shoots his every single day, 100 shots. He keeps records of the number of shots, chronographs it regularly and calculates for deviation, etc.
    He has over 500,000 shots through it.
    He does all his own maintenance on it, recording when and what is done, parts used, etc.
    The action life on an FWB300 is supposed to be 6 million cycles! That's with only correct lubrication.

I had one, very frustrating gun to shoot because if you missed you couldn't blame it on the gun. Wish I had it back, they are not cheap now.

My Holy Grail is a Weihrauch HW55, been looking for a long time. I like the Weihrauch guns the best.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast