RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Ask and you will receive".....

Boolit Master

The Bible tells us of examples of unanswered prayers. Paul prayed three times for the "thorn in his flesh" to be removed. I don't know exactly what it was but I assume Paul thought it was a hinderance to his ministry. Here is a man that wrote the biggest part of the New Testament that prayed earnestly that a physical ailment be removed so that he could do more as a servant for Christ. It did not happen as far as we know.
    Paul performed many recorded miracles but could not perform some that he wanted. He left Timothy sick and unable to travel and preach. If all prayers were answered, we would not need faith. We could or would live by answered prayers and not faith.
    Two promises that hold true. God will always hear the prayer " of a broken heart and contrive spirit" and reward that prayer with eternal life. Our eternal home will be heaven given we live by faith.
    The Bible says "the feverent prayer of a righteous man availeth much" It Does NOT say avileth all and everything.

Boolit Master
    Jas 4:1-3

What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don’t they come from your desires that battle within you? You desire but do not have, so you kill. You covet but you cannot get what you want, so you quarrel and fight. You do not have because you do not ask God. When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.

It obvious our reasons for asking play a role in receiving.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    Jas 4:1-3

What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don’t they come from your desires that battle within you? You desire but do not have, so you kill. You covet but you cannot get what you want, so you quarrel and fight. You do not have because you do not ask God. When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.

It obvious our reasons for asking play a role in receiving.
    Well stated.

Amen!

And again and again in my life I would ask for what I wanted, and get what I needed. Which were often vastly different things.

Like a hot car right out of High School, and I got a powder blue year old 70 duster with 12,000 miles on it for 2200$. Fleet car, sold it 6 years later for 1800$. Put gas, oil and a starter in it, that's all.

My buddy's with hot cars had nothing but troubles.

Ask for what you need, and be prepared to have done the work ahead of time so you can afford it when it drops into your lap.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    The Bible tells us of examples of unanswered prayers. Paul prayed three times for the "thorn in his flesh" to be removed. I don't know exactly what it was but I assume Paul thought it was a hinderance to his ministry. Here is a man that wrote the biggest part of the New Testament that prayed earnestly that a physical ailment be removed so that he could do more as a servant for Christ. It did not happen as far as we know.
    Paul performed many recorded miracles but could not perform some that he wanted. He left Timothy sick and unable to travel and preach. If all prayers were answered, we would not need faith. We could or would live by answered prayers and not faith.
    Two promises that hold true. God will always hear the prayer " of a broken heart and contrive spirit" and reward that prayer with eternal life. Our eternal home will be heaven given we live by faith.
    The Bible says "the feverent prayer of a righteous man availeth much" It Does NOT say avileth all and everything.
    I like your post, I think Pauls "thorn in his flesh" were people around him.

How many people do we have in our lives that are a "thorn in his flesh" to us and the only solution is to pray for them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Amen!

And again and again in my life I would ask for what I wanted, and get what I needed. Which were often vastly different things.
    Ask for what you need, .....
    Exactly. THAT'S the core of "ask and you will receive".

You needed transportation and you got it. A lot of boys got what they wanted and some got maimed or killed because of it, many others maimed or killed innocents simply because they got what they wanted.

I once worked with a good ol' "name it and claim it" Christian man with a family of four kids. Understandably, he rightly wanted - needed - a house for them. He found one really nice house that he wanted but it was out of his price and social range. He had his family join him in circling that house once a day for weeks, laying hands on it and praying for it until they "prayed through" and got it. He was happy ... but, by gaining more house than he needed he also got a mortgage bigger than he could afford and in a neighborhood with more temptations than his wife and kids could rightly handle. In less than three years his wife was an alcoholic and two of his kids were in trouble with the law; the marriage came apart. And he lost the house. But, he got the exact house he wanted even tho it really wasn't what he needed.

God knows what we need as well as what we want. We don't live in a vacuum, everything we do has ripple effects far down the road and we can't see that very well. Thus, getting what we need is much more important than getting what we want and God knows best how our deepest desires and prayers should be answered; yes/no/later. Then I trust Him for His wisdom.

I know I can't out-smart God. So, I choose to pray for exactly what I want but in closing I've learned to add, "Nevertheless, not my will but thine be done." (Mark 44:36, Luke 22:42)

"I've learned to add, "Nevertheless, not my will but thine be done."

Exactly!

Lord I may screw up and ask for the wrong thing, if I do please correct me and give me what I need not what I asked for.

NOT my will but THINE be done oh Lord.

Also it helps to be humble. It helps to be prepared. God can best help those who help themselves.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Mold
    My mother always said that the Lord works in mysterious ways. Meaning you may very well get what you need; not necessarily what you want. With that in mind, I realized the best thing I can ever ask The Lord for myself was wisdom. With wisdom, everything else will follow.
    Someone else, whom I don't recall, once said pray on your knees. Then get up. Most of us think that the request simply ends at the end of the prayer, not realizing that the prayer is merely the beginning. Get up and go get it, and you'll find out whether that's the right thing for you or not.

I have also realized that regrets are a bad thing. Every stupid, boneheaded thing you did in your life led you to where you are today, and today is where you are the wisest you've ever been your whole life, and that's a good thing. All the blessings you have flowed out of the little things that resulted in your today. If you're reading this, I assume you're also above ground, and every day above ground is a good day.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlMc View Post
    ... every day above ground is a good day.
    Only those who have not actually stood on the imminent edge of eternity with the ground crumbling at our feet can fully understand the value of each day with our families. I open my prayer time each night thanking God for granting me another good day with those I love second only to God himself!

Boolit Mold
    I want to give a testimony to what i saw with my own eyes. 2 years ago my very close friend and i were at the local gym alone at that time of day. We were talking about prayer between sets of working out. We are both old men. He is in his 60/s and i am in my very late 70/s. I believe in praying about everything. He never prayed but is a believer. He likes to show god he is tough and never asks for help. I said to him, what is you greatest need. He said money as we are very short of it and it is very hard to make it from day to with it. I said ken, why dont you when you get home goe in your closet and pray in Jesus name for god the father to help you out with lack of enough money to make it from day to day. He said to my surprise. I will try that and he did just that. Fast forward to 3 days later and we were at the gym again alone. My cell phone has a incoming call. It was his wife. He doesn’t have a cell phone. She was crying and said i need to speak to ken. I said ok and handed the phone to him. He took the phone listened and started to cry. He then handed the phone back to me. I though I had better get ready for bad news as someone was just killed that is close to them. So i said ken what happened? He said through tears, its not bad its good. I said what happened. He said a lawyer just called my wife and said we just inherited 750 thousand dollars or maybe more from a distant relative. I was stunned. 3 day and god provided him a answer to a need. Ken has lost money helping out others, this time it came back to him in a wheelbarrow. Ken has no problem now and then praying for needs. He is a lot closer to god and his son now. Remodeled his old farm house. Still drives the old dodge truck. Doesn’t worry about money anymore. Try prayer it works. I could tell here many times god answered prayer for me but I’m not writing a book. Maybe i should.

Boolit Master
    LoveND, that's a fabulous story. It was a "YES" and "NOW" answer to your friends request. It's interesting that God not only filled the need but already had the solution in motion before the request was made! I love it. But, let none of us think your friend's prayer request put God under obligation and therefore we can all "get rich" the same way; that would be a wrong reaction to your story.

Many false preachers teach that people who need money can get it by sending "seed" money to his "struggling ministry", after which God is expected to laddle wealth on the praying poor soul. That's a deceptive lie which has impoverished a lot of desperately needy people and hell should have a specially hot corner for such preachers to spend eternity. The likes of Benny Hind and Creflo Dollar immediately come to mind.

A current couple dozen other high visibility rich "preachers" are also very successful at that kind of con work. But note that Billy Graham never had private jets or a huge staff and he made his own living from his own books, not begging for more money!

Pray for what we need and trust God to know what that is.

Boolit Master
    I looked at the verses a little differently, I guess. I have questions regarding the meaning of verses in John’s gospel which I prayed and asked to be shown the meaning of what our Lord had said. I have been shown the meaning of some things that had me baffled for years.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitty View Post
    I looked at the verses a little differently, I guess. I have questions regarding the meaning of verses in John’s gospel which I prayed and asked to be shown the meaning of what our Lord had said. I have been shown the meaning of some things that had me baffled for years.
    I am baffled by some of the verses as well.
    Care to share one or two examples of the verses you wrote about, and the meaning that you were "shown"?
    Also, how were you shown?
    Did you reread a verse and then had a full understanding of the meaning after you "asked"?
    1A - 2A = -1A

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    ...And again and again in my life I would ask for what I wanted, and get what I needed. Which were often vastly different things.
    So, you really did not receive what you asked for.

The assumption here is that God heard your prayer (ask) and said "Nah,...what you really need is "this".

God may give us what we "need" but it is not really the same thing as what the Bible verses say.
    "Ask and you will receive".
    Not ask and you will receive....what I believe you need.

Why say such a thing (Jesus stated that) if one can test that statement, only to find that it is not true.
    1A - 2A = -1A

Boolit Master
    Rizzo,
    I’d been taught all my life that anyone could come to Christ and receive forgiveness when that person believed that Jesus Christ is Son of the Living God. When I read John 6:44 I was baffled at Jesus’ teaching. I was shown that men do not make the decision to come to Christ unless they are born of the Spirit of God. It is Jesus, the Son of Man, who has been given authority to judge men and who gives spiritual life to whom He is pleased to give it. Only a man born of God’s Spirit is capable of coming to Christ. A man can be physically alive and spiritually dead .... in fact most men fall into this category. As for how I was shown, it came with a great deal of studying and prayer.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitty View Post
    Rizzo,
    I’d been taught all my life that anyone could come to Christ and receive forgiveness when that person believed that Jesus Christ is Son of the Living God. When I read John 6:44 I was baffled at Jesus’ teaching. I was shown that men do not make the decision to come to Christ unless they are born of the Spirit of God. It is Jesus, the Son of Man, who has been given authority to judge men and who gives spiritual life to whom He is pleased to give it. Only a man born of God’s Spirit is capable of coming to Christ. A man can be physically alive and spiritually dead .... in fact most men fall into this category. As for how I was shown, it came with a great deal of studying and prayer.
    Thank you for elaborating on what you previously posted.
    1A - 2A = -1A

Rizzo I look at it as a father and son type thing.

You would not give your son something that would end up hurting him.
    IE you would not always give what is asked for, wanted. But you would look the situation over and give him what he needs.

He still gave. Gave better than I deserved. Again and Again.

Ask and it will be given stands IMO. But be wise enough to ask for what you can handle. For what you need, not what you want.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.

praise glorious!

"Ask and you will receive", you never know when. Sometimes you don't ask but look back on a situation and marvel at how stuff turned out. I am color blind. Disqualifier for Gov. driver's lic and Navy missile school but still got in. Took E5 FT exam (mostly trig), never had trig. Passed. C HS student and got accepted to university. Division Officer asked if I was extending and I said going to school (that I hadn't thought about). Did ask for a strong Christian wife - 52 years and she only hit me once.
    Don't think the Holy Spirit is at work? Think again!
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    "Ask and you will receive", you never know when.
    That may be,...for some.
    When asking (prayer), I think it is reasonable to expect an answer in a reasonable time.
    If you ask God to "save" someone and ten years later it finally happens,...was that God's answer?
    When it takes that long I doubt it.
    Not all prayers are answered, unfortunately. Even though the Bible says "ask and you will receive".

Going back to my nephew story about the baby, it was several months of hard congregational prayer.
    Did he or the congregation "receive" what they asked for?.....no.
    One could say that God said NO!, but nobody got that answer from God , other that they did not get what they asked for.

Is that partly how it works? We ask and do not receive so we say, "Oh, God said no."
    Prayer is a one way conversation.
    Have you a "heard" Yes, or No from Him?
    If you get what you "ask" for then one could say that the answer was Yes! But if you did not get what you asked for you are left hanging without an answer and wait and wait and wait until you may finally conclude that the answer must have been No!

Why pray at all when God knows what is best for us.
    Do we think we can change His mind about stuff we ask for?
    "Your will Lord, not mine" is fine with me.

You can test the Bible verse yourself, I have and others have and it was not true.

Don't think the Holy Spirit is at work? Think again!
    I did not read anywhere here that stated that.
    Apparently, that's a rhetorical question.

God works in mysterious ways for sure,...without our asking involved.
    1A - 2A = -1A

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12