RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
Repackbox

Thread: Conical Point Swage Nosie Die for Herters .452 die set

Boolit Master

Conical Point Swage Nosie Die for Herters .452 die set

A friend of mine (Bruce Frechette) and a fellow caster here on the forum recently finished a small project I had asked him to do a few months back on his lathe. He made me a Conical Point Swage Nose-forming die for my .452" Herters (copy of CH4D's Whackomatic Swager) Swaging die set. I've wanted to replicate the classic bullet design that CH4D once offered and that Dean Grennell championed in 45 ACP for many years.

I got the nose die this evening and promptly went off to swage a few. He's got the nose profile down perfectly. . But first off, excellent packaging! Bruce vacuumed wrapped the nose piece so it could have sat on a shelf for a year or more I would not have had to worry about its condition upon opening the package.
    The first test bullets were made from Herters .325 170gr spire points. The bases didn't expand fully because they had gaschecks already seated but I was more focused on the nose profile and front driving band on this first squeeze anyways. I'll cast some .40 and 45 caliber pistol bullets in other profiles to reswage into Conical Points this weekend.

Bruce has agreed to make me a .308 CP and a .357 CP nose die for my other Herters/CH4D Swager sets. I can't wait to see the next two nose dies from him.

Bruce D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails swage die 5.jpg   swage die 4.jpg   swage die 3.jpg   swage die 2.jpg   swage die 1.jpg  

swage 6 (2).jpg   CH4d Swage die sets.jpg  
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master

Now you went and gave me another project to do!
    Nice work!

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	conical point 308 and 357.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	278847
    the 308 and 357 conical point nose punches came in yesterday and Bruce did as great work with these two as he did with the first.

Vendor Sponsor
    Thanks for the plug Mr Drake. It has been a fun project, and it id great to see the results. I use the vacuum seal bags so that the die doesn't rattle around in the package and bust out.

Super Moderator

..............I believe my hero, Ole Deano Grennell called that design, "The High Velo Pen" for High Velocity Penetrating (bullet). He was, without a doubt my mostest best enjoyed gunscribe, bar none. I could relate as he did a lot of stuff that was 'Just for fun' so far as reloading went and he wasn't all enthused about himself, or what he'd accomplished. I enjoyed his stories of shooting with his buddies when he lived in Wisconsin, with the "Branden Dump Shooters Assoc". I got a little taste of that when I went deer hunting up in Salina, UT with a guy who owned some property up there. They still had a town dump, and we got to go "Dump Shooting" rats in the early evening.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ..............I believe my hero, Ole Deano Grennell called that design, "The High Velo Pen" for High Velocity Penetrating (bullet). He was, without a doubt my mostest best enjoyed gunscribe, bar none. I could relate as he did a lot of stuff that was 'Just for fun' so far as reloading went and he wasn't all enthused about himself, or what he'd accomplished. I enjoyed his stories of shooting with his buddies when he lived in Wisconsin, with the "Branden Dump Shooters Assoc". I got a little taste of that when I went deer hunting up in Salina, UT with a guy who owned some property up there. They still had a town dump, and we got to go "Dump Shooting" rats in the early evening.

..............Buckshot
    I also really appreciate Dean Grennell's writing style and article topics when I can find his work on-line or in print somewhere.