Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Die recommendation for K31? Redding or Hornady?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    Anything but Hornady!
    This has been my experience as well and have pretty much quit buying their reloading equipment. I won’t get into the specifics as I’ve done here several times but suffice to say, customer service told me I used my equipment too much and I had too many parts breakages and returns of defective pieces by a CS rep. I was done after that.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    I use Lee dies for all of my Swiss.
    No problems at all.
    Only have one Swiss and using Lee dies too. So far so good.

Boolit Mold
    I'm bringing this thread back from the dead with a related question.

First off, I'm getting back into reloading after a decade hiatus. I know the basics but maybe not some of the finer points.

Here is the problem/question: When FL resizing fired 7.5x55, the brass is growing substantially. Not when its fired, but when it is sized. If it goes in the die around 2.175 it comes out around 2.184. I have not loaded for 7.5 since 2003 or so but I don't recall having to trim it every time I loaded it, and I don't imagine the brass is going to last very long at this rate. I am wondering if this could be the fault of the dies (Lee, 20yrs old), and if I should try a different set? Or have I done something wrong?

More info: I followed Pierre's (Swiss Rifles) instructions to the T. I cleaned out the die. I am lubing with Hornady spray, but also tried RCBS sticky stuff with the same result. The cases are recently fired, have been loaded multiple times, and are from two lots: "FNM" and some .284 Win. Both behave the same. Rockchucker press.

I'm thinking about trying the K-31 specific dies from Hornady.

Thoughts?

Boolit Buddy
    i bought a K31 about 13 years ago now and also bought the lee die set. the lee die set would not make ammunition i could chamber, i got mad after several trys and sold the set. i ordered the redding dies and have never looked back, what a joy to use the right tool, these are first class dies and i would buy them again any time. you will not be sorry if you purchase a set from redding !!

Boolit Buddy
    I've recently started shooting my K31 again. Reason being I can't get Boxer LR primers but I had laid in 10K of the PMC LR Berdan by Tula ; years back when they were commonly available . I used to shoot GP11 and jacketed handloads but I'm now shooting cast boolits , several types. I bought a set of Redding dies back then (2003)? I can't speak as to other types of brass , but Swiss military stuff sizes and handle through the Redding dies easily. Keep in mind I anneal and trim as necessary . Just buy Reddings and be done.

Banned
    Take a look at RCBS dies. Mine make great ammo, are a better design than Hornady or Lee and "way more better" for your pocket book.

That said if I were loading for match accuracy and regular competition shooting I would go for the Redding's.

And most importantly as Gartenmeister says, read everything Pierre has written about reloading for the K-31.

Boolit Master

To Gartenmeister, rifle brass typically is not much longer after firing the first time, it is a lot longer after sizing. I have not noticed a lot of lengthening after firing the second time, then sizing, but I am using GP11 brass and CH dies. I am not trimming until the third firing.

Trimming brass is the biggest time consumer in reloading for me, and my hands have a lot of arthritis, so I went and got a Giraud trimmer.

Boolit Master
    I no longer own a K-31 but shot the two I had a good bit. The chambers in the K-31 are a bit larger at the shoulder than the older rifles. The brass is still made to fit the older rifles. After the brass is fired in a K-31 the Lee dies size the cases the original size to fit the older chambers. After brass stretches to fit the chamber it has to go somewhere when sized back. Measure the shoulder in a fired case and compare it to a sized one.
    Look at a unfired GP11 if you have one.

I had both Lee and Redfield, the Redfield dies were cut for the K-31 chambers and made sizing much easier with less problems. Can't say if that is your only problem but that is my experience with the K-31. The Redding dies are expensive but worked very well. I can't comment on the Hornady dies but any K-31 specific dies should help.

Dave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12