Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun barrel bending

Shotgun barrel bending

I've got an old beat up Marlin bolt action 12 and it patterns about 10-12" low to the bead at hunting distances . I'm going to make up a simple jig to attemp to bend it to correct this . My question is where to apply the force. Should it be dead center of the supports ? Since it actually sits in a stock like a rifle should I attempt the bend correction further forward past were it sits in the wood ?
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Since it is in a stock is there any chance that the stock is putting pressure on the barrel causing at least part of the problem?
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

I've seen several trap barrels "corrected" in the fork of a tree and under a bench leg. Was done to change point of inmpact. The technique is not for the faint of heart.
    I have also used an adjustable reamer and "leaned" on it to ream the choke in a different direction. It also worked very well. Briley uses a similar technique to change impact on screw in chokes.

Quote Originally Posted by KMac View Post
    Since it is in a stock is there any chance that the stock is putting pressure on the barrel causing at least part of the problem?
    Not positive but I doubt any stock pressure would be causing it in that direction . This does give me an idea though I didn't think of before ,to place a shim at the end of the fore stock and tighten down the action screws

I sighted in my own single barrel shotgun by firing it, taking it apart and hitting it on a telephone pole, reassemble, and try again. it was so far off when i started it was useless. eventually I got it hitting right where I look. There is no noticeable finish damage or bends evident.

As nobade said, I've seen one Remington barrel adjusted on a wooden fence post. Just one good whack. And it worked. Don't think I would have the guts to try it. Maybe on this forum is a pic of a simple homemade jig a guy made. If you can use a straight edge and determine where the barrel is bent, put your pressure there. Use the search here.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Buddy
    Put a smaller dia bead on the muzzle and you'll bring the muzzle up when sighting. That'll make it 'shoot' higher.

If the bead is already quite small,
    You can bend the slender single bbl by removing the bbl'd action from the stock. Then placing the extreme muzzle and the breech end each on supports (wooden blocks)

At the center, push down and you'll see the bbl easily flex. You want to flex it far enough so the bbl takes a slight 'set' and stays in that position.

It won't take much to correct the pattern elevation different dispite what you are seeing (10/11").

It's a end and try type of operation. If there's a sturdy bench at the range, you can do it right there.

Quote Originally Posted by 2152hq View Post
    Put a smaller dia bead on the muzzle and you'll bring the muzzle up when sighting. That'll make it 'shoot' higher.

If the bead is already quite small,
    You can bend the slender single bbl by removing the bbl'd action from the stock. Then placing the extreme muzzle and the breech end each on supports (wooden blocks)

At the center, push down and you'll see the bbl easily flex. You want to flex it far enough so the bbl takes a slight 'set' and stays in that position.

It won't take much to correct the pattern elevation different dispite what you are seeing (10/11").

It's a end and try type of operation. If there's a sturdy bench at the range, you can do it right there.
    Actually this is the issue the original metal bead was removed and a big bright fiber optic bead was put on it . I want to keep the glow bead as my eyes are not so good these days so bending is gonna be the solution .

I'm a bit disappointed...when I started reading through this thread I thought I was going to get to impart some old time knowledge-- but Nobade let the cat out of the bag. Hitting the barrel on a telephone pole is an old gunsmith trick, been done that way for ages. An old pole that's a little soft is best. You have to look through the barrel to determine where the reflection of the light bends, and then strike it on the opposite side. It may take several attempts to get it right. I have done this on several barrels with success and no damage.

There are photos of old time gun factories, like Mauser, where a device that looks like a steering wheel is mounted horizontally on the top of a vertical pole, with a window or a light behind. The factory worker would stick the barrel between the spokes and could turn it this was or that while looking through the barrel at the light source and observing the reflection's line in the bore, then bend it against the wheel as needed.

DG

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I have a special tree outside my shop I have whacked many barrels on to straighten them.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    file the muzzle to direct the pattern, it does not take much.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cub45 View Post
    file the muzzle to direct the pattern, it does not take much.
    I have not heard that. I will have to give it a try sometime. I can see it working with a choke. Not sure about a cylinder bore or screwing chokes.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Take it out of the stock
    Whack the middle of the barrel on bag of shot. It will move the pattern. Continue as needed
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    Take it out of the stock
    Whack the middle of the barrel on bag of shot. It will move the pattern. Continue as needed
    Mike
    Bingo. This works with less chance of putting a noticeable mark on the barrel.

I had a Stevens Miserable loader pump .22 that I sighted in this way, since the sights on it were not adjustable.

Robert

Boolit Master

Sid Cross, an instructor at CST in the 70's, recommended hitting a tire on your vehicle to bend the barrel. Said it would not leave a mark and would be handy to the range where you tested impact.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Wow! Sid Cross--a name I haven't heard for many years. He was still there, Dean of Students or some such, when I went to CST in '81-82. The telephone pole method was taught by another instructor named Jay Everett, if I recall correctly.

Brownells sells a jig to bend the barrel to correct the point of impact. A gunsmith at Oak Tree Gun Club in LA. bent the barrel on my brand new BT99, so it shoots where I'm looking. You can't see the bend but it definitely changes the point of impact...

I built a barrel bending jig 40yr ago. It is powered by 1/2” ratchet. It is copied off one I saw in a catalog. I look through barrel at a mirror to see shadow to adjust stirrups to point of pressure. Barrels are different, some “bend” at once, others want to spring back. Only one shotgun was brought to me I couldn’t do anything with. A Brn A5 that had barrel run over with car. I never could bring myself to hit gun on post or pry it in fork of tree. It was an old gun smiths trick. A lot of gun smiths never got old. This was a result of gun owners shooting them from beating their gun against a post.

Thanks everyone . I don't think I have the fortitude to whack it into submission ! lol I think I'll take a more controlled method and set up a little jig it's winter I have plenty of time .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast