Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sharping Stone for Axes

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    It has been a while since I sharpened an ax but that job was generally done with a file and seldom done in the field.

Lawnmower blades get clamped in a vise and sharpened with an angle grinder. There is no way I'm expending time to sharpen a lawnmower blade.

My grandfather had an assortment of axes and he taught me a lot about the use and care of those tools, most of which I forgot.

One of the most useful axes I've ever seen was a miner's ax. It was sort of an overgrown hatchet, or a short full size ax; not sure how I would classify it.
    Forestry ax.

Boolit Master
    over the years I've accumulated a few different things , diamond rods and steel rods and stones of different compositions shapes and sizes and when it comes right down to it I've had great success getting very sharp edge put on axe with cheap harbor freight 1" wide belt sander with an old worn out fine grit belt. much quicker and much sharper than what I could do with any of the stones I have tried.

Boolit Buddy
    While I generally use a mill file for touching up an axe, for knife blade maintenance I've found nothing better than the Spyderco Tri-Angle. It is without a doubt the best knife sharpener I've ever used. I do use a coarse stone to set the initial bevel, but the Spyderco rules after that.

I use one if these for splitting kindling. Much faster and easier then an ax or hatchet and you're not swinging a sharp blade.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...7343_200647343
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    I use one if these for splitting kindling. Much faster and easier then an ax or hatchet and you're not swinging a sharp blade.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...7343_200647343
    Looks kinda kool how long have you been using that
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

File for removing material. Arkansas stone in the past for touching up an edge. And then one day 4 years ago I watched this youtube vid of an Aussie useing small diamond laps to touch up his Machete in the bush. Small, light weight, removed material faster than stone, yet left a nice polished edge. He was nice enough to leave a link to them on amazon. I have yet to break/wear one out but I have 3 sets of them in the house.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...8CS5QYWO&psc=1

18$ at Amazon

Contains super fine, fine and medium grit diamond stones mounted on color coded plastic holders. Each sharpener is 5 7/8" overall with 2" x 3/4" sharpening surface. Packaged in handy storage pouch.
    From the Manufacturer

EZE-LAP Diamond Products has been the pioneer and originator of diamond sharpening tools, starting in the early seventies. Our patented bonding process and modern technology allows us to produce the finest quality sharpening products at an affordable price. This process has often been imitated but never duplicated. EZE-LAP's unique blend of industrial diamonds combined with our patented bonding process gives you the hardest, most durable, longest lasting surface available. Because of this you are able to easily sharpen carbide, tool steel, titanium, ceramics and most any super hard material including the newer materials being used by most knife manufacturers. EZE-LAP manufactures the widest variety of diamond sharpening tools available. This allows you to pick and choose the sharpener that will best serve your needs. No other manufacturer offers the choices we do. We have items for use in the kitchen, shop or field, servicing the outdoor, DIY, machine tool, wood working/wood carving, culinary/food service and other markets. All of our items are proudly Made in the USA.

I will say for most of my knife sharpening work its steel and Strop.

But if I need to remove material, change blade profile, smooth out a nick, I reach for these every time.
    Lightweight, durable. a drop or 2 of oil helps prevent gumming up or filling up the surface with removed material.
    They are easy to work with and with a little practice are awesome.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    One of my to do list things: Build a belt grinder for our farm shop.

I have no complaints with folks who do fine work sharpening things like axes, while my use of a bench grinder and a good file being careful not to over heat the edge probably gives those same folks heartburn with my methods.

We all have different purposes for our various tools and criteria for their use so it’s understandable that methods for their maintenance will vary.

Best regards

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    About 2 years now. I mounted it on a log and just sit on another.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    .... And was always told never to use a grinder to sharpen an axe.
    I'm 80 now. Many of the things I've learned in those years is that "common wisdom" is often wrong, or at least misleading.

Working on an ax with a common bench grinder isn't very good because it's hard to control working on an edge you can't see and it's quite easy to overheat a thin cutting edge (don't turn it blue). BUT, using a 4 1/2" handheld high speed grinder with sanding disks works great and that contact can be watched and controlled.

I learned that about 15 years ago and haven't used a stone or file on an ax since but, like everything else, there is a learning curve to do it right.

Harbor Freight Tools usually have cheep Chinese hand grinders on "sale" for $10-$12; they aren't powerful or high precision tools but we're talking about occasionally sharpening hardworking axes and they don't seem to care. ???

Or, you can use a large coarse/fine combo carborundum stone from your local hardware store (for about the same price as the grinder) and slowly rub it over that big chunk of steel for a very long time. You know, do it the "right" way!

Boolit Master

Been passing by this thread for a couple of days without reading, lot's of good thoughts here on the topic. But; every time I see the topic in my mind I see a picture of my grandmothers people (Black Feet) collecting obsidian or other natural materials and flaking an edge to make an Ax for wood or battle.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    I have a good many sharpening stones and hones, more than any sensible person needs so I have tried several on axes. I have too many axes and hatchets too. I keep a small axe in my chainsaw bucket with a leather cover over the bit, comes in handy when you pinch one. I touch it up with a scythe stone, one with a handle. It is easier to work the stone instead of the axe so a handle helps keep your fingers away from the edge. When you are in your shop with access to all your tools almost anything works.

Everyone figures out what works for them, neither right or wrong just different, a lot of good options here. I usually prefer the older style rocks but the diamond hones work well they are compact, light weight and durable. I keep a tiny one in my wallet and my travel kit.

Dave

I use my grinder, it puts an edge on it in seconds.
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Master
    I'm in the 4 1/2 inch, high speed angle grinder with different grit sanding disk and flap disk for final finishes. I refurbish and rehaft old axes, nothing beats an angle grinder for rehab, but a belt sander comes in first place for just sharpening.

Boolit Master
    I sharpen things for a living. For axes (hatchets, lawn mower blades, etc), I use a slow speed 1x42 belt sander. 60 grit is great but 40 or 80 will work also. Just keep the blade moving across the belt. If you feel warmth, a water bath or let it air cool. I have restored a lot of nicked up blades.

As for the blade ending up in the soil, the saying, “...let the chips fall where they lie...” is true. If you use an a e for splitting, there will be chips. Leave them on the ground to form a “cushion” between the axe bit and the ground. It helps prevent nicks in the edge.

Kevin
    Last edited by StrawHat; 12-15-2020 at 06:25 PM.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Bub
    I file mine down... old habit from archaeology school when I was sharpening my trowel.

Banned
    Lizzy Borden recommended this method:

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    I've had mine about four or five years.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Just a bit more information for this old thread. I recently started using my DMT diamond stones again for most of my sharpening events. The coarsest one is XXC, and it is maybe a shade finer than a cinder block! Works great for rapid removal of stock. (So far the largest version they make is 3x8”, adequate but I would prefer one like the rest of the series, 2 1/2 x 11”. ). It really restores a dull axe or mower blade.

Kevin

Boolit Master
    My Dad used to heat axes , picks and hoes and draw out the metal to a fine point or edge before giving them any filing.
    He said you remove too much steel with all that grinding.His father was foreman in coal mine and he sharpened the picks the miners used by drawing the pick to a point with heat.Sometimes he forge welded on a piece and drew that out using heat and a hammer on an anvil.
    I wish I had met my Grandpa.
    My Dad could speak Russian,Polish, Hungarian, Chech as well as Ukranian, German and he said his Dad knew all those and even Gaelic, Scots and French.After WW2 Dad could make himself understood in Farsi and some other Arab Dialects from North Africa and then Italian from being in Italy.
    He said he learned the eastern European at home from his Dad and Mom,but he took Latin , French and Greek in High School and the rest was easy as he travelled thru the War.
    My Dad took an insurance Debit selling life insurance after the war in the Packing House District of East St Louis. IL.
    He was one of the few who could talk to those people in their native languages and they loved him.
    Those people knew how to sharpen tools and how to use them.They were always splitting wood outside or sawing and hammering on wood or metal.
    I still can remember seeing people sitting out on the back or front stoop sharpening a knife or a hatchet or sickle on a stone.
    Seemed like everybody knew how back then.
    Last edited by Alferd Packer; 06-25-2021 at 10:10 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alferd Packer View Post
    …I still can remember seeing people sitting out on the back or front stoop sharpening a knife or a hatchet or sickle on a stone.
    Seemed like everybody knew how back then...
    A necessary housekeeping chore or skill. I was taught by my pop as were my two elder siblings. Very few of my peers were so instructed.

I make a very good living as a sharpener.

Kevin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast