MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sharping Stone for Axes

Boolit Master

Sharping Stone for Axes

Hello all I'm looking for a good Sharping stone for my Axes and one for my Knifes
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

I'd give this a read before choosing: https://axethis.com/best-axe-sharpening-stones/
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

Thanks went with the SHARP PEBBLE

Boolit Master
    Little late, and I will qualify this with " I have a 2 sided puck that I use some', but a single cut bastard file is what is what I usually use on axes and machetes.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

I just use a bastard file too and cross file parallel with the edge. It going to get stuck in the ground anyway so why try to keep it polished with a stone.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    I've used a file to do the initial profiling of the cutting edge and one of the dual grit rectangular sharpening stones that uses oil. And was always told never to use a grinder to sharpen an axe. May be old fashioned that way as I've been using files and stones on axes for many years. Frank

I file mine but keep a stone with me for when I just wanna sit and relax.
    NRA Benefactor

I file mine but I use a DMT coarse stone on it to sweeten it up. I sharpen my hatchet down to a fine DMT stone, or a soft Arkansas stone when I want it sharp.

Banned

Sharping Stone for Axes

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    I just use a bastard file too and cross file parallel with the edge. It going to get stuck in the ground anyway so why try to keep it polished with a stone.
    I do this as well, and man does it save a lot of time. There is some skill involved with it, primarily in how to hold the ax steady while filing. I usually sit cross-legged on the ground with the handle wedged under one leg and the ax head supported on top of one boot so I can use both hands on either end of the file. If there is an easier way to do this in the field, please let me know, as I ain’t getting any younger and the last time I sharpened an ax it wasn’t as easy as I remembered.
    I used the same technique on lawnmower blades but gave that up.

Banned

What is this axe thing? Some new brand of chain saw?? I might swing a spliting maul if the log splitter dies or i just need a bit of kindling but i hope to never use an axe to cut a tree down in the remaining years im on earth.

Boolit Master
    For work tools I use sickle stones. Little rough for knife but I use them if needed. Other stones are in the house.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    What is this axe thing? Some new brand of chain saw?? I might swing a spliting maul if the log splitter dies or i just need a bit of kindling but i hope to never use an axe to cut a tree down in the remaining years im on earth.
    I picked up a nice Axe to keep by my fireplace and want to use it just for making Kindling and just want to put a good edge on it maybe it will turn into a heirloom one day

Boolit Master
    I use a file, too. It's faster and easier than a stone.

Quote Originally Posted by dangitgriff View Post
    I do this as well, and man does it save a lot of time. There is some skill involved with it, primarily in how to hold the ax steady while filing. I usually sit cross-legged on the ground with the handle wedged under one leg and the ax head supported on top of one boot so I can use both hands on either end of the file. If there is an easier way to do this in the field, please let me know, as I ain’t getting any younger and the last time I sharpened an ax it wasn’t as easy as I remembered.
    I used the same technique on lawnmower blades but gave that up.
    Well I drive the ax into a log and file one side and the remove it and do the other. Oh wait that's for the double bit. For a single I just wait till I get back to the shop. But I have a chain saw for cutting and use the ax for limming and brush clearing around the tree base. I agree field sharpening is just a pain in the tush.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    Mine were only used for cutting roots on stumps when digging them out with my tractor so totally worked in the ground and sharpened with an angle grinder. A rough life for a poor ax.

Boolit Master
    I got one of these Grizzly 10" Wet Grinders on sale. It has an ax holder but I don't have an ax again yet. Does a good job on knives and planer blades with continuous cooling while grinding. 110 RPM, I bought the Swedish angle gauge and a few of their tools.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10inchwet.jpg  
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    I picked up a nice Axe to keep by my fireplace and want to use it just for making Kindling and just want to put a good edge on it maybe it will turn into a heirloom one day
    yup thats about the only use id have for one.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    I got one of these Grizzly 10" Wet Grinders on sale. It has an ax holder but I don't have an ax again yet. Does a good job on knives and planer blades with continuous cooling while grinding. 110 RPM, I bought the Swedish angle gauge and a few of their tools.
    I bet it makes quick work of sharpening lawnmower blades.

Banned
    It has been a while since I sharpened an ax but that job was generally done with a file and seldom done in the field.

Lawnmower blades get clamped in a vise and sharpened with an angle grinder. There is no way I'm expending time to sharpen a lawnmower blade.

My grandfather had an assortment of axes and he taught me a lot about the use and care of those tools, most of which I forgot.

One of the most useful axes I've ever seen was a miner's ax. It was sort of an overgrown hatchet, or a short full size ax; not sure how I would classify it.

Definitely a 12" crosscut file to hog off chips and reshape then a 600 DMT followed by an Arkansas stone with water instead of oil. Same for the mower blades (9 in total), it is really fast when using a good, clean, new(er) file and you dont get any heat on the edge. Less than 20 strokes on each edge, typically.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast