Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hunting with Single Shoot

Boolit Buddy
    Why charge $$ for hunting hogs? Because they can.
    The market is set by those who will pay. When folks stop paying, the price falls.
    I know of a day hunt operation that charges $150. They relocate hogs for killing. Two hunters have died there in recent years exiting blinds. Poor blind design or poor gun handling? The $$ now will have to be used for the landowners defense. (TbG may have heard of the operation)
    Having folks on my property is nothing but work for me. Why shouldn't I get paid?
    Neighboring ranch leases to out of state deer hunters. Nothing but work. He needs the $$.
    I'll take the hogs over leasing the property, liability insurance, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Papalote View Post
    The market is set by those who will pay. When folks stop paying, the price falls.
    I know of a day hunt operation that charges $150. They relocate hogs for killing. Two hunters have died there in recent years exiting blinds. Poor blind design or poor gun handling? The $$ now will have to be used for the landowners defense. (TbG may have heard of the operation)
    Having folks on my property is nothing but work for me. Why shouldn't I get paid?
    Neighboring ranch leases to out of state deer hunters. Nothing but work. He needs the $$.
    Im with ya on that. Im in some of the highest price deer lease ground in the country, its real money but not worth the hassle for 1 second.

I'm A Honcho!
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    What welfare do farmers get? Subsidies for flood, drought, to help them recoup their expenditure losses? Do you need to look up welfare in the dictionary? Comparing farmers to antifa supporters is the dumbest thing I’ve read on this thread. If landowners find people willing to pay big money to hunt pigs on their land, so what? There is good advice given above on finding places to hunt them for cheap or free. You have to have fresh water and a constant food source for hogs to stay around enough to offer hunts. We run traps and shoot them on sight. We may kill 20 in a month and zero in 8 months. We definitely don’t want hogs so we don’t even use deer feeders here. States that don’t have them should count their blessings- for now- because they are headed your way.
    Some of the neighboring farms near my families farm live off those subsidies. When I ride by the fields sometimes it seems like they aren’t even trying to make a good crop. My uncle calls it subsidy or insurance farming.

Our 1000 plus acres is leased for hunting. 800 to a hunt club that keeps the numbers down pretty good. They feed deer in troughs to keep the pigs out and hunt them year round day and night.

Not sure what the dues are but I like the relationship we have.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Boolit Grand Master

Work? Liability insurance?

How much work is it to answer the door and either allow or deny someone access? We are not talking about hunting leases. We are talking about land owners allowing access to hunt.

If you guys need liability insurance down there, you need a change in law. I've never heard such nonsense. I'm not aware of any state in the midwest that puts fault on a landowner. As for relocating hogs, if you were caught in MN relocating any animal, you would be in deep trouble. It's a $1000 fine if caught with an invasive plant here. If caught transporting an invasive animal, I'm sure you would be looking at jail time.

Boolit Buddy
    And if caught trespassing in Florida while armed is a 3rd degree felony..........huntin' or otherwise. Law and custom vary, state to state, what works for you in Minn. will not in Florida......Personally, even tho I have no great deal of land, I don't want to be bothered by strangers that desire access, I suspect quite a few folks feel the same.

And yeah, liability would attach to such permission!

As to landlord liability, I think most states have laws that landlords are responsible to do their best to keep safe conditions on their land, even to trespassers. I know I'm insured for that. Same as keeping his livestock on his property on not out on the roads. Or keeping a safe dog.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Buddy
    Work?? Gates left open, livestock scattered, improperly crossing fences.
    Insurance?? One doesn't need insurance until you need insurance. I have a rider on mine.
    If I don't allow it, I have nothing to worry about. It's amazing how many requests a landowners gets from folks wanting to hunt but seldom get an offer from anyone to cut cedar or build fence. Won't allow either, just protecting what I've worked for. I'll work it or hire a reputable individual.
    Hunting in Texas has become a business. I am not in the hunting business, grazing livestock only.
    There may be landowners who may allow access but I haven't heard of any since the 60s.

Boolit Grand Master

Hunting in Texas has become a business. I am not in the hunting business, grazing livestock only.
    There may be landowners who may allow access but I haven't heard of any since the 60s.
    That is the saddest thing I have heard all day. You have to pay for something you are born to do. No, I don't expect anything from another person, but to flat out admit Texas has turned into a hunting business.

I'll only leave with this. When you landowners leave this earth, consider donating your land to the state, and have it turned into public access land. It is absolutely critical to the future, every bodies future. Expecting people to hunt on their own 5 acres forever, well, that's no future. I'm sorry there are so many dingus's out there who can't figure out how to operate a gate. Most of us are not that way.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dogrunner View Post
    Personally, even tho I have no great deal of land, I don't want to be bothered by strangers that desire access, I suspect quite a few folks feel the same.

And yeah, liability would attach to such permission!
    I don't know what Florida has, but most states I've been to have different ways of dealing with this. Some have programs where you can have a section of land designated for public hunting use. South Dakota seems to have it best with their CREP program, which pays landowners in return for having their land managed for wildlife, and open to public hunting. I'm guessing not a lot of states want to go the North Dakota or Maine route, which both are "assumed permission". Unless you have your land posted no hunting, anyone is free to access your land without bothering you. Minnesota has a walk in access program that pays land owners to simply allow access to land for public hunting. For the most part these WIA lands seem to be mostly grazing lands, and the owners rotate their use. You are only allowed access to WIA land if you pay for the stamp. Wisconsin has something similar, but I think they are more focused on wildlife management. MN's WIA, I don't think you have to do anything.

You might look into it. If your state has a similar program, you can get paid to allow access for hunters, and you won't have to give permission to every person. There is very likely a waiver so that you are not liable for hunters either.

When you landowners leave this earth, consider donating your land to the state
    Gov. can change anytime. Forces in play to eliminate Fed land hunting.
    edit: https://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/v...ca625c0258d99#!
    public hunting areas in Tx. Avg 100 acres for how many hunters?
    Last edited by popper; 12-23-2020 at 06:29 PM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    There are about 1million acres of public hunting land in Texas. They don't need mine. But allow me to flip the coin and suggest you leave your home to the state for another family to inhabit?

It took me 20 yrs to buy my place. Modest home, used cars, no cable/sattelite TV and lots of overtime. I'll leave it to my daughter and grandkids so they can enjoy it.
    I didn't invent the current hunting situation. It is what it is.

Boolit Grand Master

There are about 1million acres of public hunting land in Texas. They don't need mine. But allow me to flip the coin and suggest you leave your home to the state for another family to inhabit?

It took me 20 yrs to buy my place. Modest home, used cars, no cable/sattelite TV and lots of overtime. I'll leave it to my daughter and grandkids so they can enjoy it.
    I didn't invent the current hunting situation. It is what it is.
    Only 1.92% of Texas is considered public land. I don't know how much is open to hunting, but I think it likely less than 1% of Texas is open to hunting. 1 millon acres is not much at all, especially when you consider the huge population of Texas. Other than some super urban east coast states, Texas is in one of the worst positions in the nation for hunters. Leaving your land to your family is always the best way to go. Not everyone has anyone to pass on to. Every little bit helps, it is desperately needed, and appreciated by all hunters.

States can more easily change and sell lands than federal, but it is still quite the process. There are programs like reverse home loans that do as you state 1Papalote. I believe they are becoming more popular, especially to those who don't want to go to assisted living. I've known a few people who donated their land to the state with the stipulation it be used for wildlife. One is currently a beautiful waterfowl production area.

It does matter, it is needed, and it is appreciated. While I'd love to do more for every land owner that has been so gracious to allow me to hunt their land, it is not feasible to do a full day of work for every single one.

Boolit Buddy
    The govt has taken land from my family on numerous occasions. Lake Livingston captured the ranches of my uncle and grandfather. Lake Somerville absconded land from my maternal grandfather's ranch. The ill-fated (thankfully) transTexas corridor was slated to run thru my Hill country ranch. These properties are only ours for a time. A road project, urban development, and general progress will eventually lead to development.
    The state does as you described lease land for public hunting. Lake and natural areas offer annual opportunities for deer hogs and small game. Opportunities abound but planning is a must.

My place is very small by Texas standards but affords us a getaway and maybe a half dozen deer each fall. Hunting is Texas is a $1.6B annual boon while supplying some 17000 jobs in rural areas. Add fuel, corn, food, and other periferi/paraphernalia and you can see why it is important to our economy.

Yes there are those who spoil invitations for others. I wish I had 10000 acres, I would happily share with others.

BTW, the hogs are edible but not excellent table fare. In 19 years of ownership. I've taken only 1, the only time I've seen live hogs on the place. They have to work for a living and are generally void of fat unlike their domestic cousins. AND covered in fleas, lice and other parasitic critters.

Boolit Grand Master

To be honest, I'm not a big pork eater. Even bacon, I can take it or leave it. I would gladly shoot them, and eat them though, but there would be no way I would pay to do it. As far as I'm concerned, the shooting pigs is the favor to a land owner. Apparently not though. If the southern states want to manage feral pigs as a game animal, that's up to them, but nobody wants them up north. Many farmers up here want you to hunt their land for coyote. It's all about deer and walleye here. I'm not much of a varmint hunter, but it can be a good time. A true win-win situation. If we are lucky, maybe our wolves will like pork.

I'm A Honcho!
    MSM,

I don’t eat wild pork or much pork myself. So I don’t kill them. I catch heat from both sides. My dad made me eat a bag of songbirds once and my son will say they have lives they live. So I won’t kill something I won’t eat. I get harrassed by my uncle for not shooting more. There’s a bottom on the property that I’m scared to go into after I found a deer carcass wallowed on and eaten completely except for the largest bones...by pigs.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.

I'm A Honcho!
    Duplicate

Boolit Master
    Here in Illinois it's against the law to shoot hogs, mountain loins, oil people, judges, and lawyers.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Hogtamer;5048156]I can't tell you how much that comment pisses me off. Or anybody else that owns land in these parts. You are welcome to buy an out of state license, lease all the land your pocketbook can afford at $10 acre and hunt hogs all year long. On second though, anybody thinks someone deserves to have "their land ripped apart" can kiss both sides of my old wrinkled ****. You sound just like the Antifa creeps.[/QUOT

I don't think farmers or ranchers should have thier property torn up, but having said that, I think $2000 or more is highway robbery for any amount of pigs killed if they are a problem. And they are a problem.
    Last edited by 45-70 Chevroner; 12-25-2020 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    When you landowners leave this earth, consider donating your land to the state, and have it turned into public access land. It is absolutely critical to the future, every bodies future.
    That's a nice sentiment, and I'd like to agree, but do you really trust your government to hold property in the interest of hunters? Are you unaware of what the new "progressive" regime has planned for lawful gun owners if they take office in the next few weeks? First give them your rights, then your property too? What do you intend to hunt with if everything's been outlawed and confiscated?

I don't think that makes any sense at all. You might re-consider your priorities. 2¢

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by McFred View Post
    That's a nice sentiment, and I'd like to agree, but do you really trust your government to hold property in the interest of hunters? Are you unaware of what the new "progressive" regime has planned for lawful gun owners if they take office in the next few weeks? First give them your rights, then your property too? What do you intend to hunt with if everything's been outlawed and confiscated?

I don't think that makes any sense at all. You might re-consider your priorities. 2¢
    From what I've seen, government is the best holder of land. I should have mentioned, to make sure that it be used for hunting or fishing or whatever you like, you have to work with a group willing to do the work. N***, and Ducks Unlimited the the big ones for hunting that I know of.

Why on earth is the National Wild Turkey Federation considered a swear word?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast