Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Priming compound

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post

Nail polish is Paint.
    https://www.compoundchem.com/2017/04...n%20the%20nail.

Conventional nail polish consists of a polymer, most commonly nitrocellulose, dissolved in a solvent, usually ethyl acetate or butyl acetate. When it is applied the solvent evaporates, leaving the polymer to form a film on the nail.
    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    In all reality, the 22 Reloader Prime All kit works pretty good. I have the individual chemicals, but they are harder to come by. A good binder is shellac or Arabic Gum. The Prime All kit has it all in it. I have a Tap o cap, but I see the 22 reloader guys are selling a cap maker, as well.

There is a thread on here for reloading 22 LR that has lots of priming info in it. Personally I use the H48 and it works great and the caps are pretty hot. I'm with ya in that I have maybe 1K of commercial caps, but they are as rare as a hares tooth around my neck of the woods.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I've played with potassium chlorate in the past. It can be VERY unstable. If you use it, mix in very small amounts. A little pile the size of a match head on an anvil, and struck with a hammer, will likely launch the hammer out of your hand.
    While one needs to deal with potassium chlorate with much respect, I've hit 100's of piles that size and the hammer never launched from my hand.

By the way, I'll never be mistaken for Tor. Or Tarzan for that matter.

Banned

Boolit Master

my google foo must be crap, just what is glass powder. I can find reference to silica but nothing turns up at the fireworks sites.

never mind, traffers link just answered the question, its literally ground up glass
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

FWIW. Instead of powdered glass I use the finest sized sand that I find locally at a DIY store. It was labeled as being for sand blasting and came from a mine at Menominee WI. Using it the primers fired 100% of the time. As the bag was 50 lbs, it worked and having no other use for it I've never bought a different brand, etc to test. Less labor than powdering glass. The shelf life of the primers might not be as long, but I never did a comparative test against powdered glass vs. sand.

Boolit Master

glass ranks about 5 Mohs hardness where sand, silica, quartz is much harder at 7 Mohs. The tiny amount in a primer probably is no big deal but sandblasting the nipple and barrel probably isn't a good idea.

Boolit Master
    Next time I mix up some more H48 compound , I think I will try using some of my Glass Bead blasting media instead of ground glass powder.
    In a way it is glass from what I have heard.
    But I know that silica will work too.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idz View Post
    glass ranks about 5 Mohs hardness where sand, silica, quartz is much harder at 7 Mohs. The tiny amount in a primer probably is no big deal but sandblasting the nipple and barrel probably isn't a good idea.
    That hardness is most likely at room temperature. At the time the "flame" of the primer mix, it is in a molten or semi-molten state and therefore much softer than it is at room temperature.

The normal example that is used that it causes no barrel wear is the .22 rimfire. But I've never seen a real test done that shows it is or isn't a problem.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    Next time I mix up some more H48 compound , I think I will try using some of my Glass Bead blasting media instead of ground glass powder.
    In a way it is glass from what I have heard.
    But I know that silica will work too.
    Please let us know how it goes. Part of what makes a for a good frictionizer is how sharp the edges are. I have tested other sands of the same size grade that didn't work at all, as in getting zero % of the compound test to fire.

Boolit Bub
    I bought a case of strike anywhere Diamond Matches at my local Ace hardware store. (They had a few boxes on the shelf so they ordered the amount I wanted. BTW ~ Small town)

Boolit Grand Master

When I was a kid we found out if we put the strike anywhere matches down the barrel of a BB gun and fired them at a reasonably hard object, they would make a neat popping sound.
    Aim small, miss small!

..i was the person on the high road who used duco cement. I did a write up on how to make the caps using roll caps. They are still available if you know where to look. The prime all kit is ok but too expensive for what you get. The stibnite. The antimony trisulfide is what i had an issie with, it has to be a certain percentage of mesh sizes. Also ground glass isn't a necessity..the antimony trisulfide does the job just fine. I mix the 3 main ingredients (potassium chlorate, sulfur, and antimony trisulfide) without anything to use a frictioner and i get 100% reliable ignition. I did buy need to buy different sizes of antimony though. I had used the "chinese needle" 200 mesh size size and it didnt work. Tried the 325 mesh size and that didnt work. I got some from the company "united nuclear" and it didnt work either. So i read up more and it turns out you need a specific combination of mesh sizes for this ingredient to work. I combined the chinese needle 200 mesh size with the united nuclear mesh size in a 1:1 ratio, then mixed my primer mix ingredients along with a little baking soda to give it better shelf life...this gave me 100% ignition. I use highly diluted Duco cement glue...i dilute with acetone...maybe about 8:1 acetone to duco and i put one drop of it over my priming powder, then place a rice paper disk over it to help seal it and protect it. Works very well.

Blasted hellish frozen northern wastelands, AKA Minnesota
    A couple of observations from someone who has mixed up several types of things that go "bang", even got a license to manufacture.

Your ingredients quality is very important. If you can access it, get Potassium chlorate sold to MATCH MAKING COMPANIES. This product will be very good, pure chlorate as matches need to be storage stable for years, even decades. The best stuff used to be made in Spain, look very carefully at the spec sheets for any Chinese chlorate and just don't trust home made electrolytic chlorate for any storage life unless you know enough chemistry to do your own purification and TESTING after.

Similarly, "Sulfur" covers a wide range of commercial products. If you can find "rubber makers Sulfur" which is a grade extracted from sour crude oil during refining, this is very pure and suitable. It will not hurt to wash even this variety in several changes of warm water anyhow, in case any oxidation has occurred in storage and started to produce sulfurous acids- Chlorate and ANY acidity are a bad mix, resulting in either slow deactivation of the mixture or a fire.

If you are damping a mixture with water, use only DISTILLED WATER. Well water is a bad choice for chemistry and a particularly bad for explosives chemistry. Example: Some while back, GOEX had a problem with their factory water supply and fell back on using untreated well water from a well on the plant property for damping powder while milling until things got fixed. Shortly after, the US military noticed a number of problems with weapons systems using black powder for igniters, bursters and so on becoming erratic or failing to work at all- Which was traced back to the hard well water used in those lots of powder. Primers are WAY more sensitive to contamination problems of this type than black powder...

If you use nitrocellulose lacquer for binding/waterproofing, be aware that it comes in a wide variety of nitration %, degree and type of storage stabilization and viscosity per weight of solvent used. For commercial nitrocellulose lacquers, hydrolyzed "microcrystaline cellulose" may be used for the nitration which comes in a number of different lengths of cellulose molecule, chosen for the desired viscosity of the lacquer being produced. Dissolving single based powder by first soaking them in ethanol & then adding acetone works... But don't expect different source materials to behave the same, you will have to start over experimenting if you change ingredient sources.

Similarly, cheap solvents from the hardware or paint store are not very pure- Take the time to find more expensive but purer reagent grade solvents and/or consumption grade 180 proof ethanol, you're not using very much.

About sensitizing with grit: As someone above noted, fine "soda glass" powder melts at the temperature of a primer flame. Quartz sand DOES NOT. Asside from sand possibly causing barrel abrasion, MOLTEN DROPLETS OF GLASS STICK TO POWDER GRANULES AND TRANSFER HEAT THIS WAY, CAUSING DURABLE HOT SPOTS. It's not just included for the sensitizing to friction & shock. I make a high temperature prime for pyrotechnics which includes DIATOMACEOUS EARTH for this reason, the microscopic skeletons of diatoms melt in the flame and stick to what I'm trying to light, even though it is moving through the air at high speeds. You might try a bit of this, it's dirt cheap.

Keep quantities small and keep your fingers where they belong.
    Last edited by Bert2368; 12-07-2020 at 01:09 PM.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bert2368 View Post
    A couple of observations from someone who has mixed up several types of things that go "bang", even got a license to manufacture.

Your ingredients quality is very important. If you can access it, get Potassium chlorate sold to MATCH MAKING COMPANIES. This product will be very good, pure chlorate as matches need to be storage stable for years, even decades. The best stuff used to be made in Spain, look very carefully at the spec sheets for any Chinese chlorate and just don't trust home made electrolytic chlorate for any storage life unless you know enough chemistry to do your own purification and TESTING after.

Similarly, "Sulfur" covers a wide range of commercial products. If you can find "rubber makers Sulfur" which is a grade extracted from sour crude oil during refining, this is very pure and suitable. It will not hurt to wash even this variety in several changes of warm water anyhow, in case any oxidation has occurred in storage and started to produce sulfurous acids- Chlorate and ANY acidity are a bad mix, resulting in either slow deactivation of the mixture or a fire.

If you are damping a mixture with water, use only DISTILLED WATER. Well water is a bad choice for chemistry and a particularly bad for explosives chemistry. Example: Some while back, GOEX had a problem with their factory water supply and fell back on using untreated well water from a well on the plant property for damping powder while milling until things got fixed. Shortly after, the US military noticed a number of problems with weapons systems using black powder for igniters, bursters and so on becoming erratic or failing to work at all- Which was traced back to the hard well water used in those lots of powder. Primers are WAY more sensitive to contamination problems of this type than black powder...

If you use nitrocellulose lacquer for binding/waterproofing, be aware that it comes in a wide variety of nitration %, degree and type of storage stabilization and viscosity per weight of solvent used. For commercial nitrocellulose lacquers, hydrolyzed "microcrystaline cellulose" may be used for the nitration which comes in a number of different lengths of cellulose molecule, chosen for the desired viscosity of the lacquer being produced. Dissolving single based powder by first soaking them in ethanol & then adding acetone works... But don't expect different source materials to behave the same, you will have to start over experimenting if you change ingredient sources.

Similarly, cheap solvents from the hardware or paint store are not very pure- Take the time to find more expensive but purer reagent grade solvents and/or consumption grade 180 proof ethanol, you're not using very much.

About sensitizing with grit: As someone above noted, fine "soda glass" powder melts at the temperature of a primer flame. Quartz sand DOES NOT. Asside from sand possibly causing barrel abrasion, MOLTEN DROPLETS OF GLASS STICK TO POWDER GRANULES AND TRANSFER HEAT THIS WAY, CAUSING DURABLE HOT SPOTS. It's not just included for the sensitizing to friction & shock. I make a high temperature prime for pyrotechnics which includes DIATOMACEOUS EARTH for this reason, the microscopic skeletons of diatoms melt in the flame and stick to what I'm trying to light, even though it is moving through the air at high speeds. You might try a bit of this, it's dirt cheap.

Keep quantities small and keep your fingers where they belong.
    Personally I assume that the chemicals will not be the purest grade, but are for short term storage only. Also, some types of glasses greatly decreases the length of time a compound will be good. But personally I haven't come up with a reason stockpile several years of DIY primer compound or primers.

I have to disagree with you a bit about the use of sand. Quartz melts at 3000 degrees at std pressure. Without looking at my notes, I can only think of 1 compound that doesn't exceed that temperature. But the burn temp of BP or smokeless would be lower and cool the particles. FWIW. The compounds I like the best all have aluminium in them so the temperature are more in the 4000 degrees plus range.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12