RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for you Ar15 shooters- changing it to a 9mm ?

Quote Originally Posted by WebMonkey View Post
    sylvan arms glock adapter would be my choice.

the upper receiver is the least costly part of the 'build'.
    i'd rather get another receiver to put together a 9mm upper rather than tear down an existing.

unless of course the existing is surplus to your needs.
    then by all means re purpose.

good luck!

What brand of the magazine seems to be working for you and what rd capacity?

C-Products 32rnd mags. The converted UZI mags seem to fit sloppy.

Boolit Grand Master

Metalform 32s for fun and I have a couple 20s in case I want to sit at the bench.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

So really any of the Glock magazines?

will the 10 rd ones work? or will they be too short?
    Last edited by brstevns; 12-27-2020 at 05:11 PM.

dumb question I know but do the 10rd magazines work?

Boolit Grand Master

Aren’t the 10 round Glock magazines the same physical size as the standard magazines?
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

That is what I am trying to find out? Would get a couple for a 9mm build if they work?

Boolit Buddy
    You can get 10rd Glock mags that are physically the same size as both Glock 17 & Glock 19 magazines.

Boolit Mold
    I bought an Anderson AM15 lower and the Sylvan 9mm adapter. The upper is FM so it has to be an adapter that works with Glock mags. The adapter will not fit into the magwell at all. Not even close. It's like they are not compatible. There is a protrusion on the rear left hand side of the adapter that keeps it from going in the magwell. Has anyone heard of this problem? Is there a specific adapter I should use?

ste_lam, Is it getting hung up on the magwell lock? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ-QSutw3o4

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by flyingmonkey35 View Post
    I have tired

The new fangeld magazine adapter and found it to be horrible.

I have the uzi pistiol magwell block and have issues with the last bullet not feeding correctly.

If I was to redo it I'd buy a dedicated glock lower

My 2 cents

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    have to agree. My first attempt was using a mag adapter. Never did get that gun to run a 100 percent. Now my cmmg complete gun runs like a swiss watch. My psa 9mm lower 4.5 in gun took a bit of fiddling with buffers and springs but now runs like a top. For those doing 9mms i got some good advice from a company that specializes in them. Use a 308 carbine spring and a 5.5 ounce buffer. That cures most of the tuning necessary. I think the main reason the mag adapters arent the way to go is they give a longer jump from the mag to the throat. I say throat because most 9mm ars have no feed ramp. My cmmg does and i put a drop in feed ramp in my psa and it was the part that really made that rifle. Before that it was high capacity glock branded mags or nothing. Now it will run a 100 percent with about any mag or any bullet design. I just wish i would have waited for the newest gen of psa 9mm uppers and lowers that give last round bolt hold open.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    have to agree. My first attempt was using a mag adapter. Never did get that gun to run a 100 percent. Now my cmmg complete gun runs like a swiss watch. My psa 9mm lower 4.5 in gun took a bit of fiddling with buffers and springs but now runs like a top. For those doing 9mms i got some good advice from a company that specializes in them. Use a 308 carbine spring and a 5.5 ounce buffer. That cures most of the tuning necessary. I think the main reason the mag adapters arent the way to go is they give a longer jump from the mag to the throat. I say throat because most 9mm ars have no feed ramp. My cmmg does and i put a drop in feed ramp in my psa and it was the part that really made that rifle. Before that it was high capacity glock branded mags or nothing. Now it will run a 100 percent with about any mag or any bullet design. I just wish i would have waited for the newest gen of psa 9mm uppers and lowers that give last round bolt hold open.
    Where did you get a drop in feed ramp?

Boolit Master

Odin werks makes a 9mm barrel with 1/2-28 threads. I did it this way with a PSA glock lower and a odin buffer and bolt. Works great. Only drawback is the PSA glock mags lowers are not setup for LRBHO.

Boolit Master
    Went to the range today, fifty through 10" pistol and fifty through 16" rifle configuration. Swapping single (Stern) bolt and mag adapter and can between them, flawless. Only five rounds plunked in mags at a time of short and long, fine tuning optics, wiping new bores and being ammo stingy. And boy howdy do them barrels get fouled up quick, the 10 has 200 down the pipe and the 16 was new. I am thinking I need to introduce them to Mr. JB.

Still need one more part (charging handle) then I can complete my build. Hope I have as good luck as you did.
    Now just must wait to get the virus shot and the range to open.

Boolit Master

You could also run EngoMags in a standard lower, with the bolt and barrel of your choice in an existing upper. The dedicated uppers aren't anything special other than a smaller ejection port. I have a couple different Glock lowers as well as a couple EndoMags, and I'm not sure which I prefer as both seem to work flawlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeeMan View Post
    You could also run EngoMags in a standard lower, with the bolt and barrel of your choice in an existing upper. The dedicated uppers aren't anything special other than a smaller ejection port. I have a couple different Glock lowers as well as a couple EndoMags, and I'm not sure which I prefer as both seem to work flawlessly.
    Might be the way I go.

Boolit Master

They really work well and save the cost of a dedicated lower or adapter and additional magazines. If you already run something (or multiple things) in Glock or Colt mags, it may be worth the investment, but this allows you to just have a dedicated upper and use your existing lowers with no additional changes.

I have 3 of them and as long as you follow the instructions to break them in, which basically amounts to shaving the ejector down to fit inside the bolt carrier, you'll love em.

Boolit Buddy
    Just puzzled why would you be changing your AR15 to a 9mm, maybe I am just reading the whole post wrong.
    I do enjoy shooting my AR15
    The Soldier that Volunteers, fighting for his Country and his rights,
    makes the most reliable Soldier on Earth.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast