Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for you Ar15 shooters- changing it to a 9mm ?

Question for you Ar15 shooters- changing it to a 9mm ?

What is needed to change an AR15 to a 9mm? Barrel, blowback type bolt, Magazine well adapter and? Can
    the same upper be used or is there a special upper needed?

Boolit Grand Master

Upper can be reused. Flash hider has a bigger hole and buffer is heavier/longer. Gas system is removed when the barrel is swapped out.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

So I pretty well have it figured out other than forgetting about a heavier buffer system? What is the best way to go on the Mag well adapter?
    Last edited by brstevns; 12-02-2020 at 01:35 PM.

Boolit Master

sylvan arms glock adapter would be my choice.

the upper receiver is the least costly part of the 'build'.
    i'd rather get another receiver to put together a 9mm upper rather than tear down an existing.

unless of course the existing is surplus to your needs.
    then by all means re purpose.

good luck!
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Grand Master

I bought a dedicated Colt style lower.

These are interesting.
    https://cmmginc.com/9-arc/

Don’t forget the flash hider. Reuse the .22 hider and you have a bomb.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I bought a dedicated Colt style lower.

These are interesting.
    https://cmmginc.com/9-arc/

Don’t forget the flash hider. Reuse the .22 hider and you have a bomb.
    you can't as the most of the 9mm barrels are 1/2x36 thread and the 5.56 is 1/2x28

https://www.masdefense.com/product-p/gcb100.htm is the way to go if your gonna keep your existing lower.

then you need a 9mm bolt that is setup for GLOCK. Glock bolts are machined to clear the glock mags. A standard colt style 9mm bolt will not work with glock mags. Ask me how I know.
    And lastly a 9mm barrel with flashhider.
    You can swap all of the barrel parts from the 5.56 setup (barrel nut,delta ring,handguard retainer,FSB/GB)
    You are still looking at a $400 deal when your all finished.

this -> https://www.gunbroker.com/item/885995167
    and
    this -> https://www.gunbroker.com/item/885644987
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

I have tired

The new fangeld magazine adapter and found it to be horrible.

I have the uzi pistiol magwell block and have issues with the last bullet not feeding correctly.

If I was to redo it I'd buy a dedicated glock lower

My 2 cents

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by flyingmonkey35 View Post
    If I was to redo it I'd buy a dedicated glock lower
    that is exactly what I did. I purchased the lower assembly that I linked above. It was cheaper when I bought it then now.
    I picked up a 16 inch complete upper with bolt carrier for $325 shipped.
    So I have around $620 in a (9mm Complete AR)
    Midway still has the glock factory 33 rd 9mm mags for $40 each limit 3. They went up $5 from when I bought mine just a few weeks ago.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Master
    I found myself in a position of having just a lower assy,, and decided to build a 9mm upper & all. I went with the Midway offering of the AR Stoner set-up. I bought the AR Stoner 9mm magwell adapter, as well as their mags. (They Stoner doesn't use the Glock mags.) I had to swap out the buffer,, and all went quite well. My Stoner upper was on sale for $300, and the magwell adapter was about $100 if I recall. Mags were comparable to Glocks & all.

First two 9mm uppers I made were DI and used Sten mags and a magwell adaptor. Then made a few blowbacks using sten mags and a similar magwell adaptor to the DI version with an added ejector. Then bought a magwell adaptor to use the ar/uzi mags. None of these would run flawless through a 300-500rnd shooting session. There was a sale on Spikes tactical dedicated 9mm lowers for $130 a while back so I got two. They work so well the other magwell adaptors haven't been used since.

The uppers are the same, you can use the standard port door or get one of the 9mm half doors and deflectors. Best to use a ramped bolt so you can use a standard hammer and get a heavy buffer.

Boolit Grand Master
    I bought my upper from Model 1 sales. Put it on my lower and used a YHM(VHM?) magwell adapter for Uzi mags. Last shot does not hold the bolt open, but I have not had any problems with it. Oh yeah, like Moleman, I ramped the bolt to use a standard hammer.

Boolit Master

I have a Stern Defense mag well adapter and complete upper. It holds the bolt open after the last round. I use Beretta magazines (the company also makes an adapter for Glock mags). I use only Beretta factory magazines, 16 and 30 rounders. I have never had a malfunction in the couple thousand rounds I've fired (95% cast). I installed a 9mm buffer. I forget who made it.

Late to the thread, but Palmetto arms makes pretty good 9mm stuff.
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/pa-9-pcc.html
    Upper and lower about $750 which is cheap right now (10" barrel)
    Using glock mags

I was going to but only got a new colt bolt and bolt carrier and never got the rest.

Boolit Master
    I have assembled two for myself and two more for buds and they have been flawless with Stern Defense parts for the Glock mag. Living in Anderson houses with zero mods required to any parts, two pins and remove a spacer and one Allen screw mag unit out and drop a 556 on top and go. The mag release is a little different but easy to access ergonomically, a little off instinct but not bad. H3 buffer, standard carbine spring and a spacer I made from Delrin for rear of extension behind spring. Hold in bolt catch with left thumb and bump bolt between that and rear of extension with charging handle, you want to duplicate that distance of standard AR. If no spacer is used Bolt assembly gets a good run on and will beat up the bolt stop and lower in short order. About .700" ball park for spacer to make up for flat face fixed bolt that does not rotate and retract into a BCG when going into battery. All my reading and what we have is blow back mass ending up 18-21 ounces, this has proven 100% with ours with lighter end cheap fodder through the cans. Have not tried 147's and may require mass increase weight to calm down, but the cheap fodder was too much fun and now it is all stupid expensive, if you can find it.
    Last edited by Gtek; 12-09-2020 at 06:17 PM.

Boolit Master
    A guy at work got a compleat upper from bear creek and a meen arms mag conversion.you take the mag apart and replace the internals. He really likes his upper works on his palmetto lower. I like the look better because you are using the standard 5.56 mag not the skinny 9mm mag with a mag well converter. It just looks better to me.

Boolit Master
    I traded into an Olympic Arms 9mm top half and several Sten mags, with mag well adapter. Oly Arms has folded up, but these can still be found. Sten mags are the suck to load, but the original WWII 'spoon-style' mag loaders work pretty well if you can find one. Mine ran like a sewing machine except for one mag that caused it to choke. I never got around to troubleshooting that mag to see if I could repair it, then lost interest in the thing and sold it before I came overseas. Probably should have kept it.

The weak link in the Oly Arms conversion, other than the Sten mags, is the ejector. It's a mousetrap spring affair, and they are known to break. Now that Oly Arms is gone, I am unaware of a source for replacements.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Finally purchased a 9mm barrel (16 inches) AR-Stoner but he was not sure of thread size for the flash hider. Hate to purchase the wrong thread size, does anyone know what it takes?

Boolit Grand Master

According to Midway, 1/2-36 same as stated by Hatch above.

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    According to Midway, 1/2-36 same as stated by Hatch above.
    They also list the 1/2 28 for it as well?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast