WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heavy flannel shirts.

Boolit Master

I have some C.E. Schmidt from TSC that are wearing well. Very heavy though, almost too much for Virginia winters. Another I wear the most is a quilted wool shirt from Northwest Territory. I've had it so long I can't remember where I bought it.

I got some Duluth long tails this past weekend during their 30% off sale using an early Christmas gift card. They are nice weight, and shrank nicely after one wash to fit well (I'm in between Large and Medium, so a lot of clothes I buy Large and purposefully shrink them to "dial them in").

Bulldogger

Boolit Master
    I am lucky - wool does not bother me a'tall. Sometimes it do get cold in the Ozarks, and for that I wear an L.L. Bean wool Maine Guide Shirt, with a duofold (cotton on the inside and wool outside) long handled undershirt under it (L.L. Bean calls it the River Drivers Shirt). I just don't think cotton was meant for warmth. And I am out in the edge of pure dee cotton country - the Arkansas Delta.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Grand Master

Wool Jackets or shirts always meant Johnson Woolen but you are going to pay for them now. Not cheap but I still have my grandfathers jacket and doubt I'll wear it out. I don't wear many long sleeved shirts of any type so LLBean or something like that works for me. Used to wear Duofold underwear but now generally wear the synthetic stuff unless it's really cold then merino wool. Merino wool socks, too. Swear by them.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a bunch of the wool army shirts years ago in my size for $2.50 each. still fit and most still like new.
    Barry

Boolit Master

Try here:"Super Casuals" Don't know how the prices compare to Dungarees, but you can't wait to pull the trigger. Sometimes they list something that they only have one of a size.
    https://tinyurl.com/y4gwh982

Duluth Trading is OK but I always wait for a decent sale. Recently I bought 4 long sleeve sport shirts marked down from $50+ to $16 ea. I'm already well supplied with Duluth flannel shirts. Don't need heavy wool shirts in Tennessee, at least I don't. If it gets too cold, I stay home. One more advantage of retirement.
    John
    W.TN

Moderator Emeritus

Carhart henly 3 button cotton tees are something I really like. Just warm enough without being overly so. Pocket, no collar and they look nice.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    Try here:"Super Casuals" Don't know how the prices compare to Dungarees, but you can't wait to pull the trigger. Sometimes they list something that they only have one of a size.
    https://tinyurl.com/y4gwh982

Duluth Trading is OK but I always wait for a decent sale. Recently I bought 4 long sleeve sport shirts marked down from $50+ to $16 ea. I'm already well supplied with Duluth flannel shirts. Don't need heavy wool shirts in Tennessee, at least I don't. If it gets too cold, I stay home. One more advantage of retirement.
    Unless the government has moved Tennessee further South, y'all are on the same latitude as I am in North Arkansas. There are times when it seems as one feller said "Only thing between the Arkansas Ozarks and the Canadian Arctic is three strands of frozen bobwire".
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master

ALLAMERICAN CLOTHING has 'em (USA made) occasionally but the large sizes sell out fast at around $60 a piece. They last a long time but seems I need larger ones lately....

Well I found some shirts to suit me. I helped clean out a hoarders house. And there was 2 flannel shirts. Lincoln Outfitters. From rural king. The 3xl fits me great. And it’s heavier flannel than anything I’ve ever had. Very warm, very good quality and not very expensive when new. So by Gods blessing k have found a suitable shirt.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 11-28-2022 at 12:26 PM.

Boolit Master
    Back in the day, before synthetic fleece, cotton chamois(sp?) Used to be the step above flannel
    I loved the things, and had several of them, but they aren't as easy to find anymore. They are a tight weave, and do a decent job of shedding wind, but still lets your sweat evaporate up to a fair temperature.
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Boolit Master

I followed the Legendary Whitetail link right into a Black Friday sale yesterday.
    Yes, I have some goodies coming. I'll soon know if I like their flannels and their chamois. Only one I was interested in came in XL long.
    I have problems with the sleeves are almost always way too short.

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    Since Carhartt went "woke", they lost my business.

I get stuff from Berne now. Their stuff is American made, where a lot of Carhartt is made in Mexico, Vietnam Nam, etc.
    The enemy of good is better.

Boolit Master

I dumped Carhartt for the same reason. "Go woke; Go broke"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Yes sir I am hogtamer, I'm 6'5" and 360 lbs.

I checked out the filson Alaskan guide shirt. Website I seen says imported but doesn't say where. Canada? China?

Thanks for the replies.
    Filsons are good, look at Eddie Bower, I like their shirts, LLBean has some good stuff also.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Best flannel ive bought are Johnson Wool Shirts. You will pay for them but i doubt you will ever wear them out. Wool breathes the hot, stays warm when wet and pulls in the suns heat in the dead of winter. If you want cotton then the LLBean flannel and chamois are pretty darn good
    Wool is great, If you are not allerget to wool. Eddie Bower and LLBean chamois are great they come in EX long.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    Unless the government has moved Tennessee further South, y'all are on the same latitude as I am in North Arkansas. There are times when it seems as one feller said "Only thing between the Arkansas Ozarks and the Canadian Arctic is three strands of frozen bobwire".
    I live just a little bit south of Duluth Minnesota, we haven't had a winter here in a very long time. 20 degs here now with 6/8 inches of new snow with temps going down a little.

I don’t know where rural king stands but Their shirts fit.

JC Penney's has a long & tall department that's worth checking on for deals.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by edler7 View Post
    Since Carhartt went "woke", they lost my business.

I get stuff from Berne now. Their stuff is American made, where a lot of Carhartt is made in Mexico, Vietnam Nam, etc.
    Same for me. I try not to support any "woke" business. That being said I am purchased a new 2023 Chevy Silverado with the baby diesel. I don't have any other options for what I am looking for.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Baileys logging supply for USA made hickory stripe & flannel shirts..
    Heavy duty ******* jeans too..
    Made heavy duty for doing work thats actually work.

I guess it wont let me use the other name for a mule,, but thats the makers name !! LOL..
    Last edited by yovinny; 11-30-2022 at 08:50 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast