RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: take down power of 38spl 125gr penta points

Boolit Master

take down power of 38spl 125gr penta points

something was going on last night, it was snowing and quiet, but the dog was going crazy. grabbed my little 38spl S&W and took a look around but didn't see anything going on. got me thinking about just how effective those 38 spl loads would be. the bullets are clww cast in old group buy mp mold 357-125
    rnfp. these were cast with penta point. and loaded over 5.4 grains be86, about 1000fps out of 4" barrel.

Boolit Grand Master

That load should be adequate for any "critters" you may have to deal with. I do believe strongly that accuracy is king well placed shots in the vitals are effective misses and shots outside arnt, even with lesser calibers.

Banned
    I wouldn't want to be hit by it, then again I have developed a strong aversion to being shot.

Boolit Master

I also use 125 gr cast RN in my old .38 spl. Fire one into a 4x4 and you will see how effective they are!
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    My first target holder consisted of several 2x4s constructed to be large enough to hold a paper target. Those .38 specials were going right through, so I doubled them up, and some of the shots were still going through.

Boolit Master
    I'D want a heavier bullet, but as has been said, I wouldn't want to be in the way of your handload, either.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Grand Master
    Back in 1994, a robbery suspect in south Central LA took one 38 Spl. 125 grain +P in his left thigh, staggered three steps and dropped. He'd have likely bleed to death if an off-duty fireman hadn't provided prompt first aid. So I think your 125 HP would do all right. Certainly most 4 legged trash raiders would be fair game, and most two-legged varmints wouldn't enjoy the experience either.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Its fine for critters and other unarmored varmints at conversational ranges.
    I look at it as sort being on the top end of .38s and in the lower range of a light weight .357 made for that purpose.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

The only question I have about is for the 2 legged varmints. My question is the obesity pandemic that has been going on for the last 20yrs. I realize most of the 2 legged vermin don't fall into this category but it is still something that I question

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboredad View Post
    The only question I have about is for the 2 legged varmints. My question is the obesity pandemic that has been going on for the last 20yrs. I realize most of the 2 legged vermin don't fall into this category but it is still something that I question

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk
    I'd be more concerned with drunks, dusters and methaleptics. I've known two people shot with .38 lrn. One had his femur cleanly cut at about 20 feet and the other fella was a tow truck driver that took 5 to the chest at PB, he then drove to the hospital just clinging to life.

I try to keep our defensive .38s in the 950-1050 fps range with 158gr cast or sjhp's but placement is everything.
    Last edited by Cargo; 12-04-2020 at 12:29 AM.
    Cargo

Boolit Master
    and the other fella was a tow truck driver that took 5 to the chest at PB, he then drove to the hospital just clinging to life.
    but placement is everything
    Okay, SOMEthing's not together...
    I don't think it's possible to launch a 125 gr. or 160 gr. bullet TOO fast for defensive purposes. I'D want 1300 f/s minimum for the 125s and 1100 f/s for 160s. Unless perhaps loaded up to the ragged edge of SAAMI specs & fired from a 6" barrel, I'm not confident that this can be obtained with "regular" .38 Special loads.
    Failing that, one is constrained to "overload" some of their .38 Special rounds if they own a .38 Special, or load their revolver with .357 Mag rounds if they own a .357. Loading a .357 with overloaded .38s makes SOME sense in terms of better controllabilty and more positive ejection should a reload be needed. But I think I would be inclined to load a .357 revolver with full-house .357 Mag loads, and practice assiuously on hitting as well with it as the overloaded .38s
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Grand Master
    I wouldn't stand in front of your load, but if it were me, I'd want a heavier load with a solid bullet. Good meplat pushed as fast as you are accurate with. Now that winter is coming, the two legged vermin tend to add clothing, and some of that is tough enough to affect your lighter HP bullets. Accuracy & penetration. There is a reason the 158 gr. semi-wadcutter dominated police revolvers for so long. I know they work.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboredad View Post
    The only question I have about is for the 2 legged varmints.
    Reminds me of a buddy. He came to visit one time and carried in a pistol griped 12 ga. Mossberg pump.
    I asked him about it since before he'd always had a double stack 9mm within arms reach.

He told me, "As I've gotten older, I don't see as well as I used to".
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

unforgiven
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Master
    Whatever you shoot that pistol at, you better take note of your backstop.

I should re-test a be-86 load.

I cast a 110gr "indoor" swc bullet #33 cramer that is actually a rn bullet with the rn set in so that the shoulder of the bullet cuts clean holes in paper. Cramer lists this bullet as 115gr but my mold (2-cavity) drops a 110gr bullet using range scrap and pc. Basically it's a gallery/parlor bullet that does extremely well doing what it's supposed to do, namely for lite indoor loads. I decided to see hat they could do if I heated them up a bit and loaded up some 38spl 's and 9mm's using that bullet.

A 3.2" bbl'd 9mm got 1300fps+ with that cramer #33 bullet.
    A 2" bbl'd 38spl snubnosed revolver got just under 1000fps using be-86 & 1100fps+ using unique.

In other tests using the same snubnosed revolver unique & be-86 were always within 40fps of each other when testing 150gr to 170gr bullets. Odd that power pistol & be-86 doesn't like lite bullets in the 38spl cases with 18,000psi+. But that 9mm load was 35,000psi+/- using power pistol.

I don't know if be-86 doesn't like lite bullets in the 38spl's. Power pistol doesn't and be-86 is supposed to be the flash suppressant version of the same powder.

"Unless perhaps loaded up to the ragged edge of SAAMI specs & fired from a 6" barrel,"

Boolit Bub
    I shoot a Hunter's Specialty 125 penta over 4.7gr universal. It penetrated 8 water jugs, bouncing off the 9th. No expansion, but plenty of penetration!

Boolit Master
    Once there was a 200 grain load called police load in .38 special.
    Reportedly a fleeing perpetrator was shot in the back pocket area and the pelvis would break bringing down the man.
    Also in the 40's and 50's they wore their pants higher.
    The hip hop crowd of the times.
    I loaded some and shot them.
    Low velocity, with more recoil but not bad in.38 special.
    Lot more recoil if 357.

At low velocity it depends on the bullet weight to make the shot work.
    Once referred to as "E.St.Louis Police Load."
    They were all excellent shots when I was a kid.
    You never ran from the Policeman when he said HALT!
    People who tried, only tried once.
    Those 200 grainers drop like a lead balloon.Only for close range and you need a lot of practice to really be effective . IMHO.

With the lighter bullets you get more blast and muzzle flash at night.
    Maybe more encounters after dark.
    Last edited by Alferd Packer; 03-13-2021 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alferd Packer View Post
    Once there was a 200 grain load called police load in .38 special.
    Reportedly a fleeing perpetrator was shot in the back pocket area and the pelvis would break bringing down the man.
    Also in the 40's and 50's they wore their pants higher.
    The hip hop crowd of the times.
    I loaded some and shot them.
    Low velocity, with more recoil but not bad in.38 special.
    Lot more recoil if 357.

zAt low velocity it depends on the bullet weight to make the shot work.
    That load combination was reported to tumble on impact because it was bordering on unstable at 38 Special velocities. I don't know if the tumble effect could be made consistent or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast