MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersRepackbox
Lee Precision

Thread: Happy-thanks to everyone

Boolit Mold

Happy-thanks to everyone

I apologize to everyone for not contributing much lately to this forum. Hopefully this winter that will change and I will be posting more on my paper patching with 416 Taylor. Last spring tried 66 grs of 3031 under a 330 gr round nose cast .410 of wheel weights -dropped into ice water, wrapped with 2 layers tracing paper dipped in water with a little Weldbond white glue added. CCI 250 mag primer. Necked down .458 wm brass, then fire formed with regular jacketed load, then left un-sized for reloading. Placed over powder wad of circular disc cut out of writing tablet paper -- diameter of inside of brass below neck. Then placing small tuft of cloths dryer lint over to protect base of seated bullet, and slightly compress powder. Not sure if I needed the small disc of paper to help keep powder/gases from base of projectile, will try some further loads without. It is a pain trying to not badly wrinkle or damage the disc of paper through the neck of the brass while seating over powder. At a full 100 yards my first 2 shots were 1 1/2 inches apart -- the third shot opened up-- third round was seated a little deeper. Should also point out my 416 Taylor has a muzzle brake. My guess rounds as being approx. 2500 to 2600 fps. --from 27 in bbl. before brake. Hopefully someone familiar with this round will add their best guess to fps. All comments welcome. Also add I use the traditional beeswax-vaseline lube on pp.

Will try to get some more testing done shortly. ps --Mr moderator if you could please add 416 Taylor to my title as appears I cannot edit title myself -- thx Bob.

Again everyone thanks for their tips/experiences shared over the years.
    Last edited by semiretired2; 11-28-2020 at 04:01 AM. Reason: tried to add info to title

Boolit Master
    Is your boolit a plain base design? I don’t have a .416; as the .375 H & H seems to handle things here in n.e. Texas, but filling the case to the base of the boolit with a slow burning powder and not being concerned with case filler or over powder wads is one of the advantages of paper patching in that cartridge. I use WC 860 and can’t reach over about 2300 FPS with the 335 grain Lyman plain base, but it sure is cheap shooting compared to a large dose of 3031. Keep us posted on your shooting and good luck!
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Mold
    Both test boolits are plain base, the one on the left -- the shorter base one, was the one that showed promise. hope to get to the range for more testing. try to post my pic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WPM$OF42.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	274464

Will post pic of wrapped boolits also.
    Last edited by semiretired2; 01-02-2021 at 01:59 AM. Reason: added info

Boolit Mold
    I should point out I use the same size/height of paper patch for both boolits, so it obviously covers some of the long ogive on the left projectile.

Happy new year everyone!

Looking forward to the photos of the patched boolits when you can get to it.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    It would seem that the unsupported nose would give you an accuracy problem on the boolit with the short bearing surface. Am I understanding correctly that the diameter of the bearing surface at the base of the boolit is .410” ? If the groove diameter of your rifle is .416” and the land diameter is .410”; shouldn’t the nose portion of the boolit be at least .410” to allow the nose to be supported by the lands? I realize your land diameter is most likely less than .410”, but just for discussion, assumed it to be .410”. I ran into the unsupported nose problem on my .375 H&H. The Lyman mould has the nose or ogive smaller in diameter than the .366” land diameter of my barrel, which resulted in an unsupported condition. Now, the Lyman design shoots fairly well paperpatched, but I am trying to lap the nose larger in hopes of improving accuracy.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Mold
    I run my paper patch up onto the start of the nose section about a 1/16 in. to help support/keep bullet centered.
    Sorry it took me some time to respond but now looks like I'm fully retired, and should be a lot more active with target shooting, experimenting and some good hunting. - and moved from BC to Alberta this spring! Cheers everyone!!