Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: 250/3000 ai

250/3000 ai

Just bought a bench gun in my favourite calibre for a real steel. Remington 700 action, Leupold 2-12x VX6HD, complete with RCBS press and Redding dies.

Fancy stock inlays to a laminated stock

Recent experience with a 303/25 proved a 100gn RCBS powder coated boolit can be driven to 2848fps with no leading. I'm hoping this rifle can do the same or butter with cast boolits!

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Buddy
    wow, that things shweet.

Boolit Master
    What a beautiful stock and gorgeous rifle overall. My 250/3000 (not AI) absolutely loves cast 87 gr boolits from an old Lyman Loverin style mold and 103's from an old custom Saeco mold. My rifle is a T/C Encore.

Old post I know BUT… inquiring minds wanna know - How did the 250-3000 AI do with cast?
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul

I assembled 40 rounds with a RCBS 100gn GC and powder coated. I chronographed these at 2,680fps average. I had some feedback from a shooter hunting wild hogs with his 303/25 and the same 100gn cast boolits were very effective on game.

Accuracy at 100yds was 1 1/2" for 5 shots and regularly rang a 6" steel gong at 200yds (9/10 hits) and I called the pulled shot.

Overall, they won't replace the gilt accuracy obtained with jacketed boolits but they do provide a cheap and affective alternative for general practice.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    I got that mold and am hoping for some “good vibrations” from it!

My 25 line up starts with .25-20 Win (not holding my breath on that combo) and also includes .25 Rem, 25-35 Win, 250-3000 Savage, .257 Roberts, .25-06 Remington (perhaps) and the rocket ..... the .257 STW (not on a bet, LOL)

You could say I like the Quarter bores!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Thank you for the report!

1 1/2” accuracy at that velocity seems very reasonable to me for a cast boolit. I’ve had very good results with a hollow pointed 257464 (89gr) and Unique in an old Savage 99 with the 1:14 twist. I don’t have the RCBS 25-100 mould but I do have an NOE 260-105 which is kinda similar. Sadly, the 1:14 twist in the 99 just doesn’t allow for much accuracy with longer boolits.

I was considering the idea of building a bolt rifle in 250-3000 AI and using a 1:10 twist in the hopes of stabilizing the longer boolit/bullets. How was the accuracy with jacketed bullets?
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul

Very nice ! When I can find suitable and affordable Marlin 336 in 35 Remington I am going to rebarrel to 250ai. Already have the finished McGowen barrel, dies, brass, etc.