Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Load Data

Thread: Lawrence-Keith type holster

Lawrence-Keith type holster

I wanted to make one of these for my blackhawk. Found out that that my fat blackhawk and thick leather were WAY too small to stretch around that cylinder. So I cut down the piece of leather to fit a M19, and I am happy with the result even though it was a total hackjob.

As far as this kind of holster goes I don't know what the fuss was about. I don't care for the strap though it works well enough. The holster is a fairly quick draw. I am not a fan of open triggers, but it wouldn't be that style with a closed one.

I can say that this design is very economical with the use of leather, which is probably why the Lawrence company liked it. It also needs a welt. In this case a double welt was used and necessary. I dislike welts because they are much more difficult to sew and prepare and take more time to burnish. They are the only way to get the straight side though and not make the holster any larger than it needs to be. I've noticed that many purveyors of such holsters these days forgo the welt (because it is a pain) but they make the holster larger to compensate, a cheap trick IMO.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	myM19l-type.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	271605

Name:	myM19l-type2.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	271606

Anybody interested in a modified design of the Lawrence holster? I was going to experiment here. This one may need a new home.

Boolit Master
    I like it and have a 4" 66 that it would travel well with. PM me with your thoughts. GF

Boolit Grand Master
    The Lawrence holster came about as a field version of the Threepersons holster, supposedly as recommended by Elmer Keith. He allegedly added the strap to help keep holster and gun together on the back of an obstreperous horse. However, S,D, Myers had been making them like that for years. The original was made for Thomas Threepersons, a gun-fighting lawman of the very early 20th century. It had no safety strap, and rode high on the belt so that it was covered by the coat tails of the suit coats commonly worn in those days.

I usually make my Threepersons holsters so that the trigger guard is covered. I always put a welt in the main seam, so that the final result is a trimmer holster and the gun is retained by the snug fit.

Name:	IMG_3754.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	291246 This is the same basic holster, but with an open toe, concealment design and no strap

Name:	IMG_3801 I frame.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	291247 This is another example of a similar holster, but modified due to the skinny barrel not stabilizing the revolver in the holster.

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	291248 for field carry, I much prefer a thumb break strap to a conventional, over-the-hammer, version.

Name:	IMG_3735.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	291249 Here is the traditional version for a 7 1/2 inch Super Black Hawk
    Last edited by rintinglen; 11-04-2021 at 01:53 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.