Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Rockwell drill press, 1974 series 15-017 for $80.00

Delete please

Ggg.................
    Last edited by Just Duke; 06-23-2017 at 01:16 AM. Reason: PICS ADDED

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

Duke, Tap Holder? Or do you mean a "Tapping Head". Unless that drill press has a reversing switch, you'll need a tapping head. Most of the small drill presses are belt driven and that'll limit you to being able to tap mainly the smaller sizes. Gear head drill presses are better, but you won't get one for $80, I doubt.

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Red River Rick View Post
    Duke, Tap Holder? Or do you mean a "Tapping Head". Unless that drill press has a reversing switch, you'll need a tapping head. Most of the small drill presses are belt driven and that'll limit you to being able to tap mainly the smaller sizes. Gear head drill presses are better, but you won't get one for $80, I doubt.

RRR
    This is the tool I was refering to Rick.
    B-Square Tap Wrench

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...ru%20tapper&s=

I have that tool. I just never got around to using it. I have been meaning to now for quite some time to drill and tap my Remingtion 1100 receivers for rear ghost ring sights.

With the Remington receiver being so thin, I figure that tool would help me tap it straight .

I think at one point I had the same old drill press too.

Mine didn't come with a rack and pinion table height adjuster.

Jeez, did that suck trying to get the table back up.

Same price too... 80 bucks.

I'll be tapping some holes by hand later today.

What fun!

3/8 X 16. Looks like I drill the hole with a 5/16" first. Then I can chuck my tap into my cordless drill?

Boolit Grand Master

Noot if you want to keep your tap in good condition. A tapping head had a tension setting and turns at about 28 rpm or so. You don't tap unnder power in either a lather or a drill press with just a plain tap. The idea of the Brownells toool is just to keep things straight and personally i prefer to use a tapping guide block.

Moderator Emeritus
    Duke,

A lot of tap handles have a small center drill spot in their center. All you need is a staignt shank with a tapered end that fits in the drill chuck. It will center the tap the same way that the tool you show has. You then turn the tap handle by hand while putting a small amount of vertical pressure on the tap via the drill press handle. I can make and send you one...

John

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DUKE NUKEM View Post
    This is the tool I was refering to Rick.
    B-Square Tap Wrench

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...ru%20tapper&s=
    ...........It's a good tool and handy. Drill your hole, remove the bit and install the tool and your tap is right there centered on the hole.

"3/8 X 16. Looks like I drill the hole with a 5/16" first. Then I can chuck my tap into my cordless drill?"

.............Only if the item to be tapped is less then the tap OD, and isn't hardened. A 5/16" bit will give an ideal thread fit of 77%, likely 72%. A letter 'O' 73% likely 68%. and a letter 'P' is 64%, likely 59%. Depends on how the hole is drilled, how you're taping it, the taps H limit, and the material. Desireablity of thread fit depends on what you're going to do with it.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Thanks all the drill press is rewired and fully restored. Quill was tightened also.
    I'm installing Marbles sights next week on all my leverguns. VISION RESTORED! WAA HOO!!! Well sorta.
    Last edited by Just Duke; 12-28-2008 at 05:02 PM.

I'm going to pick up the matching jointer and industrial router tommorow. Plus mortise and tenon jig

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Now Duke, I thought a engineer would use a solder splice and not butt connectors or twist locks Ha!! Ha!! Great Buy on the drill press. What speeds does she have?
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Rockwell equipment of that vintage is good solid American made stuff that will last and last. You got one heck of a deal on a very good drill press.

BTW.. I have been using that B-Square gizmo since1968 and would not be without it.

Recently escaped from The People's Republik of Illinois, ...Now living in the Free State of Missouri
    Yep! .....You got a great deal there!!!

KLC

“.....Nuttier than a squirrel turd.” - An assertion by a fellow forum member

Boolit Grand Master

Duke, that press may have been sold with a clockwise only motor. My Dad (and now me) had one exactly like it. I replaced the wiring and motor with a reversing one. I also added a third pulley on a jack shaft to reduce the speed to a crawl .
    Dad's was bought new about 1958. It still does it's thing on demand.

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    Duke, that press may have been sold with a clockwise only motor. My Dad (and now me) had one exactly like it. I replaced the wiring and motor with a reversing one. I also added a third pulley on a jack shaft to reduce the speed to a crawl .
    Dad's was bought new about 1958. It still does it's thing on demand.
    Yea it does have three pulleys. Jon K told me to just chuck up the tap and rotate the chuck by hand to start it straight.
    Serial number data base says it's a 1974 when I called Delta.

Quote Originally Posted by Chargar View Post
    Rockwell equipment of that vintage is good solid American made stuff that will last and last. You got one heck of a deal on a very good drill press.

BTW.. I have been using that B-Square gizmo since1968 and would not be without it.

Charger where did your avi go? I can make you one if needed and within the said scope of the forum regs too sir. No problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Russel Nash View Post
    I have that tool. I just never got around to using it. I have been meaning to now for quite some time to drill and tap my Remingtion 1100 receivers for rear ghost ring sights.

With the Remington receiver being so thin, I figure that tool would help me tap it straight .

I think at one point I had the same old drill press too.

Mine didn't come with a rack and pinion table height adjuster.

Jeez, did that suck trying to get the table back up.

Same price too... 80 bucks.

I'll be tapping some holes by hand later today.

What fun!

3/8 X 16. Looks like I drill the hole with a 5/16" first. Then I can chuck my tap into my cordless drill?

Thanks for your reply Russell. You might appreciate this too, I will also be using the drill press to drill and tap several 1911 frames for scopes. Possibly Micro H-1 on three or four. I know scopes on a 1911. But I'm now on the verge of being legally blind so scopes would help.