Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox

Thread: Interchangeable Noses, Adjustable Lengths

Interchangeable Noses, Adjustable Lengths

Interchangeable noses. Adjustable lengths.

Why not have pistol / revolver molds with a gas check base and a bore rider ogive bored cylindrically through the bottom of the blocks for interchangeable nose plugs (one handle with a set screw for adjustable length).

That way you could have SWC's, round noses, wadcutters, cup points...
    Or even a hollow based wadcutter if so desired.
    All adjustable for length.

That's exactly what I'd like for .411, .431 and .454.

USMC 77, USRA 79

actually, there is a 410 mould kinda like that.. interchangeable pins and such to change profile...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Grand Master

There used to be rifle moulds available that way and I think Red River Rick makes adjustable length PP moulds for BP rifles but I can't say that I have heard of them for handgun moulds. Should be quite doable though.

My push out moulds (like the old Ideal Cylindrical Molds) are made that way but they are not split so make smooth boolits that I usually knurl but depending on diameter they can be paper patched as well. I have several of these I've made for my .303's and my .44 Marlin. They are simple and work well. A split mould with adjustable length nose is a bit harder to make but not a lot. Mihec style Cramer version with nose form or even Lee style HP/HB pin would work... if made to screw up or down.

I suppose even the old style Lyman HP mould style with nose diameter pin and different positions and shapes would work. That would probably be the easiest and cheapest way to do it for split mould. Accurate could make the mould but you'd have to get someone else to make the nose forms.

Yes, I often wonder why these things are not readily available. One argument might be that it is difficult to maintain accuracy with a separate nose form due to tolerances and clearances, For absolute best accuracy I'd agree but for most shooting I sure haven't noticed any difference from my moulds in my guns. In fact one my .303's really like a 215 gr. boolit from one of my push out moulds and they shoot that more accurately than boolits from commercial split moulds.

Longbow

This is an example of interchangeable plugs supplied by Erik at hollowpointmold.com.

A Lyman #410610 modified to use adjustable and interchangeable nose plugs would be great for the .41 mag.

With there being no real interest in this mold concept I'd been checking auctions for quite a long while hoping to find a #410610 single cavity mold at a reasonable price, to have it altered to an adjustable length GCHPWC... Alas, the prices on auctions went from astronomical into outer goofiness.
    Do the neurological impacts of COVID also affect bidding?

I may as well go down a different path. Altering a #41027 hollow base wadcutter mold is certainly tempting but it seems a bit like drilling a string hole in an archaeological artifact to hang it around someone's neck; sacrilege !

Found my own solution to what was wanted.

Ordered an Accurate #41-210KG
    https://accuratemolds.com/bullet_det...ullet=41-210KG

to be altered to use this already in hand .395 diameter adjustable length interchangeable tip plug.