WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Load Data

Thread: Remington Model 8, 32 Remington Caliber

Boolit Bub

Remington Model 8, 32 Remington Caliber

I have an opportunity to buy a Remington Model 8, in caliber .32 Remington.
    Cool old gun but I know very little about it.
    If anyone has info they could pass along it would be appreciated.
    Thanks

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_8
    is a good starting point. The references at the end of the page will take you on a time travel trip.

Boolit Master

Cool old rifles-but scoring brass isn’t easy even in good times which these are not.

Very cool rifles...one of the most unique actions out there for a semi-auto, and one of the first at that. Brass is readily available, although you can expect to pay about a buck a piece new. I have one in 30Rem and absolutely love it. It's smooth, feeds well, trigger is surprisingly not bad, and it's reasonably accurate. For the right price....I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another one!

http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/

Good website here..... LOTS of information on one really cool John Browning design!!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Bub
    Thanks a lot guy for the help.
    What would be a reasonable price for this rifle? It appears to be in pretty good condition, has 90% bluing, no rust, bore is bright and good rifling, no cracks in the stock although could use a refinish.
    The seller is asking $480 for it. Good price or not?

As described I would consider that a very fair price. YMMV.... I'm a big fan of the 8/81, others not so much, so I'm sure opinions on price will vary. FWIW -- I paid a bit more for mine in 30Rem a few years back, in seemingly similar condition, and have no regrets!

If it has the tang sight, then jump on it!!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Bub
    Thanks much guys for the advise. I think I'm going to buy it from the older gentleman that has it.
    I'll post a picture of it when I get it.

Boolit Bub
    Graf's was the only source of new brass i could find several years ago when my wife inherited a 32rem. Think RCBS had new dies, and load data for 30-30 or 32win works.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Great guns, And a good caliber, Great woods rifle. I love them

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by bpimwheel View Post
    Thanks
    While I can't speak for the .32, I do have a pair of 81's I inherited from my granddaddy. A 30 and a 35. The .30 has never been shot and is still in the original box. The .35 has killed more deer than most of us has ever seen I imagine.

The story behind the .30 was my granddaddy ordered a .35. When it arrived at the feed store, who was the dealer around there back then, it was a .30 Remington. Wrong caliber. Nobody caught it until he got it home and tried to load .35 Remington rounds in it. He ended up going back and reordering a .35. The .30 wound up in the closet with a quilt wrapped around it where it was forgotten.

I recently had the 35 worked over. Reblued. New springs. Stock refinished. It had been used hard over the decades. I still hunt it. Took 6 deer with it this season.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by bpimwheel View Post
    Thanks
    Imho, perhaps the best resource is the book entitled, "The Great Remington 8: And Model 81 Autoloading Rifles ". Amazon has both new and used copies available -- https://www.amazon.com/Great-Remingt.../dp/0889352917 .
    Not an "el cheapo" volume -- but I find it. indeed, the answer to most all questions. My passions/inquiries started with a 7,000 serial number Model 8 -- made in 1907 -- I had acquired. I will pass on that they are great firearms, and a "hoot" to shoot. The Model 8, 14, 81, 181, et cetera -- have a chug-a-(spring movement/sound)-bang-recoil unlike any other action I've fired. If you have the free-funds to execute purchase -- they're not making 'em any more .
    geo

Boolit Master

Nothing wrong with a .32 Remington. Trail4U is correct, Graf and Sons usually has it in stock, 1.00 a piece. Finding dies can be a challenge but certainly doable. Me, I'd grab it.

Attachment 296434
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    Always wanted one, preferably a model 8 but wouldn't turn my nose to an 81! One of the police/prison guard guns with the big detachable box mag would be a super neat piece to have! Quite a rare gun in the mix of an already scarce gun. Only one I have ever seen looked like bubba tried to put about 3 different scope mounts on it. Holes drilled all over the poor rifle and way, way too much money for such a damaged gun.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed