MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 480 Super Blackhawk

480 Super Blackhawk

I will say at first blush it is racing up the chart for hunting. I have only fired 25 rounds through it today from Longshot to max H110 topped with a Lee 400 grain boolit. I will say the recoil was pleasant compared to 454 Casull even at the top end. It also seems to be hunting accurate with any load I used today without any real effort. The grips on it are much thinner than on my flattop 44 special and are much ch more comfortable. Will still replace them sometime.

I have the 480 Super Redhawk and love it. Like taking it to the indoor range and watching people jump when I touch it off in my lane.

I have the same gun with a 6 1/2” barrel. I haven’t found a load it doesn’t like, but my two favorites are a mp 477-640 lg hp at 386 grains over 14.0 grains of hs-6, and the same bullet over 18.0 grains of A 2400.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Mine is the same model and I wanted the mp mold too but alas they are out of them. I like the Lee 400 and will see what Tom at Accurate molds has that looks interesting.

I just sold one on here a few days ago. Somehow I ended up with two. Either way, they seem to shoot everything good.

Banner Sponsor

I have the 6 1/2" Bisley and really like it.
    I found a nice pair of Houge fancy walnut grips for mine.
    Both of Lee's bullets, the 325, and 400, are very good options.

Vendor Sponsor

If a deer is standing behind a tree neither one got a chance, that'll go right thru both of them!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    I own 3 different 480's myself. That caliber,, in a Ruger seems to have hit a homerun for being an accurate gun/caliber combo out of the box.
    Accurate,, and actually fun to shoot.
    I own a couple of molds,, and load a 400 grn boolit,, PCed, and I have shot cat litter jugs & milk jugs, full of water, in a row to test penetration. My first attempt,, I had 12 jugs set up. Complete penetration & the bullet kept going. I then put 16 up, and I recovered my slug in jug #14. That was from 25 yds, and my load wasn't a "max" load.
    At 100 yds,, the 8" steel plates ring with consistent noise when I do my part.

I was able to shoot a little bit more today at 25 and 50 yards. The 12 grains of Longshot and the Lee 400 grainier made for a pleasant and accurate load. With my eyes and open sights I was grouping at 3” at 50. I believe with a little work and maybe a Burris ff3 it will be my new hunting rig.

It would make an excellent hunting rig. I have mine setup for hunting. It wears a weigand heavy duty rail and a 30 mm ultradot.

I had thought of that route as well as I really like an Ultradot but they don’t make the mount you have anymore. I am unsure if the other no drill would fit or hold up. When I read that it wouldn’t fit a 45 colt I figured the barrel diameter was too large
    Really like the setup you have and want to get that mold when they are back in stock.
    Nice group looks like you are dialed in quite nicely.
    Last edited by Iwsbull; 11-14-2020 at 07:53 PM.

I also like the ultradot best for hunting. The advantages of the tube type red dot was very apparent yesterday while deer hunting. I had my 41 magnum with a vortex venom with me. There was a little rain, and it kept getting on the tv type red dot. I had to keep wiping it dry. Also, I think it faster to pick up the dot with the tube type. As for rails, I know a guy with the other weigand rail on a 4 5/8” 480. The kind that wraps around the erh. He says it is holding up fine. I have one on a 45 colt blackhawk, and it has held up well with ruger only loads. While my mount is heavy duty, it may be overkill on the 480, however it is probably very much needed for the 454 casull.

That might be the route I go then, as I prefer the tube. I was concerned that it might not fit the barrel profile.

Boolit Master

I have a 6.5 Bisley SBH. When it first arrived timing was a bit off and pulling the hammer was a bit like kicking over my old Harley. I sent it back for repair and requested a taller front sight. I was very happy with the fit of the action upon return sure nuff was wearing a taller front sight too. 400 Lee and 19 gr AA9 works well in my gun.

Boolit Grand Master

We put a Microdot on our BFR 475 LNB and it was a good choice for us. Fast on target and all the accuracy we need out to our "river bottom" ranges.
    We shoot the same 400 grain Lee chugging along at 1100 fps..
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Ordered the Weigand no drill today that braces on the erh. I figure I can mount either a reflex sight or tube on it. Now I have to ask what holsters fit with that type mount.

There are many options when it comes to holsters. I prefer the bandoleer style chest holsters for hunting. There is a maker that advertises on ebay named skyball mountain holsters. I bought a bandoleer style for a scoped 7 1/2” blackhawk. It is a nylon holster, and it was all of $45.00. My 7 1/2” 45 colt with an ultradot fits it, as does my 480 sbh with ultradot. My 6” gp100 with ultradot also fits, as does my mark IV with ultradot. I really like this holster. I am not climbing mountains with this. I am just going in and out of the woods, east coast whitetail style.

There is also the simply rugged chesty puller system. I have one of these that is custom made for my 5 1/2” blackhawks with vortex venoms on top. These are more expensive, and to me, not as comfortable. They do work great, and can be used strong side or crossdraw also. All told, not a bad system, some people love them.

The nicest system that I have seen, are the wyoming combo from Von Ringler. A google search will take you to his website. These are very expensive, and I haven’t pulled the trigger on one of these yet. I was originally going to get one for the 480, but once I found out that it would fit in my cheap one, I just don’t really need it.

There are a number of different options. You just need to decide what works for you, and how much you want to spend. Funny, I tried to buy another holster from skyball on ebay, and it looks to me that they are no longer in business.

Boolit Master
    I too have some large caliber handguns with optics & red dots. Love them. As for how to carry them,, I always remember what Skeeter Skelton once said; "Next to my Doctor,, my holster maker is the most important person I know."
    Well, with that,, many of us who prefer to use quality equipment, for serious use,, have found a holster maker, bar none,, that was given the nickname of "Doc" in reference to his quality, that we feel Skeeter would approve of.
    Mike, "Doc" Barranti makes the most comfortable, easy to use, best holsters I've seen. And I'm a hard sell. But once I tried on his NW Hunter rig that was owned by my friend, & fellow member here, "sixshot" I knew I had found one of the best. I now own several of Doc's rigs & shucks. PROUDLY!!!!

He made a NW rig,,, that can carry more than one model of my SA handguns,, that are scoped with tubes of scopes. His work isn't cheap,, but if I'm willing to spend a lot on a handgun hunting rig,, and the money to travel & hunt, I want something that measures up to the job.
    I also own a nice rig from Rob at Simply Rugged. Darn good,, and he has a quicker turnaround time than Doc. But for the best,, Check out Barranti Leather.

Boolit Master

I bought a Diamond D chest holster for my Bisley .480. I purchased mine directly from the maker in Wasilla Alaska but I see Bass Pro also handles them mohttps://www.basspro.com/shop/en/diamond-d-leather-guides-choice-leather-chest-holster?affcode_c=&gclid=ce6d43059b371e4c4bbd1cb75 2a0d601&gclsrc=3p.ds&msclkid=ce6d43059b371e4c4bbd1 cb752a0d601w.

Thank y’all I’ll look at the suggestions you gave on the holsters. Now if MP molds will do another 477-640 run I will be all set, til I think of something else.