RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Broken sprue handle

Boolit Mold

Broken sprue handle

I have been casting for about a year now with some good results but ran into a problem the other night.

I have a Lee 6 cavity mold that I have been using. I had been casting for about an hour and had to melt more lead so I set the mold aside. When the lead was ready, I pre-heated the mold (I thought) and started pouring. Well, the mold must not have been hot enought because when I tried to cut the sprues, I could not open the handle. In the past, the first few pours was hard to open the sprue plate until everything got up to temp, then everything went well. This time I could not cut the sprues!

Well to make a long story short, I broke the sprue handle where it bolts up to the sprue plate. Since this is my only 6 cavity mold I do not have a extra handle.

I looked on line for replacement parts but could only find the sprue plate with no handle. Can you just buy a handle or do I have to trash this mold and buy a new complete mold?

Thanks

Here is a very recent thread on the subject of sprue plates breaking. Keep an eye on it, maybe someone will come up with suggestions.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=41206

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Wiking. I guess I should have done a search before posting. I will give Lee a call.

You're quite welcome

You'll come to realize that no matter what problem you have, someone on this forum has the answer.

I think the key is to get the mold HOT! Since I've started really heating my molds up on a hotplate, the sprue has been very easy to cut on the first pour.

Error on the side of too hot. You can always wait while the sprue turns from liquid to solid. If it takes a long time for the sprue to solidify, you might want to wait a bit more to open up the mold. The boolits might still be in liquid form

Cloudpeak

Boolit Master
    I had the same thing happen to me when I first started using a Lee six cavity. I felt if I put more perssure on the handle it would break so I put the mold in a vise and set a brass bar on the side of the plate and hammered until it cut through the sprues. I learned from this experience and became very cautious about cutting the sprues as soon as possible. I saved the plate but would not think it would hold up well to this treatment over time
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Boolit Mold
    Thanks to all. I called Lee and they are sending a replacement. Will be back in business next week.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    I've had it happen. Now I just dunk the end of the mold in the molten lead and walk away and do something else for about 3 or 4 minutes. Then start casting as normal.

Boolit Bub
    I also broke my new Lee 6 cav. sprue handle. Found out later that the sprue handle was not completly closed. Looked at the destructions (after breakage) and now know the screwdrivwer trick

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    This is the second thread this week on this subject.

I'd think that Lee would consider the cost of all the replacement parts and change their process for the manufacture of this part. A stamped steel part would hold up a lot better than the MIM part they're now using.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Glad to hear that Lee took care of it for you. They do occassionally break off. I had one break and went to pick up a new lever at the Lee supplier here. No problem.

Hardest part was getting the broken piece out of the wood handle, since the supplier didn't have any handles in stock. Got a spare on order just in case for next time.
    Springfield Armory - "Loaded" 1911SS, XD45TAC & XD9TAC
    Ruger Mark III
    AR15 - Armalite .223, Rock River Arms 9mm
    S&W 686 (early '80s model)
    Taurus Tracker 455 - .45ACP wheel gun... WAY KEWL!!!

Banned
    Someone with a machine shop needs to make some of the levers in steel instead of the pot metal that lee makes them out of.....they break way too easy

Boolit Bub
    I"m thinking the cast sprue cam may be engineered to BE the weak link. hope you ordered two, so you won"t break another. The double order usually insures no more breakage.LOL

I had one break on my 6 cavity Lee as well. Called lee and they said no problem to replace, just send in broken one. I asked if they could just send out the new part so I didn't have to go through the expense of shipping the broken part back. They said no problem. Also asked for a couple of extra spring washers. Had the replacement part about a week or so later including the extra spring washers.

Great service from Lee.

Cheers,
    Richard
    Kimbers you show to your friends. Glocks you show to your enemies.