MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Lyman Molds - Don't be afraid.

Here are four new Lymans Santa brought yesterday. The 358311 is 2017 production, while 358429 is 2019, and 313249 and 457125 are 2020 production. Can't comment on the boolit size they are going to drop just yet. All molds seem to be in alignment and three of them passed my initial inspection when it comes to cavity smoothness. However, the one I had been waiting for the most, the 358429, has one cavity machined roughly. It's probably serviceable but not a pretty sight in any case. I've been thinking whether I should send it back but I don't see the two cavity version listed in Lyman's website. Hopefully it's still in production.

What a h... so it is true that Lyman has dived down at quality also. If You got those from Finland send it back. I would. It looks terrible. I have about 10 Lyman molds. Those are bought at least 4-5 years back and cast well, looks good and drops right diameter. I hope You get that sorted out. Yks saatanan työmaa nykyään ��

Boolit Master
    If Lyman went out of business I would not miss them.

20 something years ago I sent a lyman accu-scale (spelling) back for warranty. Talked to them on the phone and they said it had been received and would take a few weeks. A few weeks later I called back and the said they never recieved it. My reloading table lacks any Orange today!

You should email them and asked if they ever received it?

It's been 20 years. I'm sure the pony express got thier by now

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    you only need to shoot yourself in the foot once.The scare lasts forever.
    That's the truth right there !

Of the last five molds from them , one was usable and the other four made Lee look good . That concept of "quality" I can do without .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Quote Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
    What a h... so it is true that Lyman has dived down at quality also. If You got those from Finland send it back. I would. It looks terrible. I have about 10 Lyman molds. Those are bought at least 4-5 years back and cast well, looks good and drops right diameter. I hope You get that sorted out. Yks saatanan työmaa nykyään ��
    Yes, I got these via Asetarvike.com in Finland. I submitted my complaint immediately. They said that Lyman has promised to send me a new one but so far nothing has happened. For fun, I've been following availability of this mold on Midwayusa and it still is out of stock!

I think I'll buy a vintage 358429 mold from Ebay if I come across a decent one with international shipping.

Boolit Master
    I see good and bad comments about Lee, Lyman, but I haven't seen any comments about RCBS, but most mold makers seem to be out of stock. I just got a beautiful mold from MP at a reasonable price, and got on a waiting list for another. I think I'll stick with MP. Good shooting to all.
    Bob
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

just got a 358429 square lube grove from ebay and works real well after cleaning and heating on hot plate drop about .358 size to .357/.358 171 gr.

Quote Originally Posted by CeeHoo View Post
    Yes, I got these via Asetarvike.com in Finland. I submitted my complaint immediately..
    Well maybe on next Christmas you get new ones...

Boolit Grand Master
    “Back in the day” I sought out and bought early Ideal moulds for my Schuetzen rifles… with perfect satisfaction. I seldom if ever bought new moulds from Lyman… just didn’t see the need. Now my taste in handgun bullets has become so esoteric, I just can’t find Lyman bullets that fill my needs. I bought Lyman DC moulds for 313445 and 313492 most recently, and even though I’ve had them for several years now, I had to get them used as those designs were discontinued back then. I also have the fairly current 454242 mould which is pretty much standard for my 45 Colt but I really don’t remember buying it.

I would probably buy new Lyman bullet moulds today, but their prices approach those of the custom makers and their selection of designs doesn’t satisfy my needs. I don’t know whether it’s Lyman or me, but I just can’t get what I “need” from them.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard II View Post
    I see good and bad comments about Lee, Lyman, but I haven't seen any comments about RCBS, but most mold makers seem to be out of stock. I just got a beautiful mold from MP at a reasonable price, and got on a waiting list for another. I think I'll stick with MP. Good shooting to all.
    Bob
    RCBS are surprisingly good molds. I would certainly own more if they weren't maxed out at 2 cavities. The 38-150-SWC gets quite a bit of use.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Master
    maybe just maybe Lyman is trying to turn things around. a look through their web site they have made quite a few changes to the lineup of stuff they offer, a lot of the stuff looks like it might just be real good quality, hopefully for the better. ive got a few old ideal and Lyman molds that are great. but seems Lyman went through a rough patch and many many molds they were making were dropping way undersized boolits. ive also got quite a few old Lyman die sets that just can't be beat with the m die included in the box. ive never gotten an RCBS mold that was less than perfect. maybe ive just been lucky.

Well maybe on next Christmas you get new ones...
    Well, it sure didn't make it on last Christmas and not this one either! Two years plus and counting. Not sure if Lyman has even made another production run after that as it seems that at least on MidwayUSA the status is constantly "out of stock, no backorder".

Maybe I'll just use the better cavity or hope some nice person will part his Ideal or early Lyman 358429. Haven't seen one on Ebay either even though, I suppose, it shouldn't be that rare mold.

Boolit Master
    People have been complaining about Lyman molds casting small for 20-years now.

I've got quite a few of them. Some new, some old, and I've been happy with all of them.

My advice with "Customer service" drones is to just send stuff back with a short letter explaining the problem. That often gets it solved. Calling them often gets you nowhere. It's like the medical universe.. Call the doctor and they say everything is just fine, come visit in two months. Show up and they send you to the hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by CeeHoo View Post
    Well, it sure didn't make it on last Christmas and not this one either! Two years plus and counting. Not sure if Lyman has even made another production run after that as it seems that at least on MidwayUSA the status is constantly "out of stock, no backorder".

Maybe I'll just use the better cavity or hope some nice person will part his Ideal or early Lyman 358429. Haven't seen one on Ebay either even though, I suppose, it shouldn't be that rare mold.
    I guess it's best to forget about the possibility of getting a new mold through the Asetarvike. Have you looked at the MP-molds page, is there something similar? The other, of course, is Accuratemolds, but then it goes to pay customs and taxes. It might still be worth trying from within the EU. In Italy, France and Germany, there are a few quite large companies that may have molds from Lyman and other commercial manufacturers on the shelf. I myself found the RCBS .22-55-SP in a small company in France, which I had been looking for for a very long time.

There is one possibility to get it
    http://johannsen-shop.de/LYMAN-.38-3...kokille/218976
    Last edited by Teemu; 01-03-2023 at 04:37 AM.

Boolit Master
    With Accurate and NOE making great molds I would not waste time with Lyman or Lee molds. The Lyman molds I have cast under size or blocks don't line up.

Boolit Master
    I had one Lyman mold, a two cavity cast iron 30 cal rifle mold. The mold halves were not lined up properly so the boolits had a noticeable seam on them. I sent it back to Midway for a refund. They shot o.k. after sizing though and now I wish I had kept it because it did drop boolits nicely. My favorite molds are cast iron ones, I spray them down with Birchwood Casey Sheath after using them and spray them off with Gunscrubber before I use them again. I have molds from Lee, RCBS, Accurate, Arsenal, MP and Noe. Brass, Cast Iron and Aluminum. I have enough now that I should make a list so I can remember what I have exactly.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

The only thing I buy Lyman is the reloading books, and M-die.

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master
    I’d rather see what color comes from a $100 bill sitting over a Bic lighter than buy another new Lyman mold.

I guess it's best to forget about the possibility of getting a new mold through the Asetarvike. Have you looked at the MP-molds page, is there something similar? The other, of course, is Accuratemolds, but then it goes to pay customs and taxes. It might still be worth trying from within the EU. In Italy, France and Germany, there are a few quite large companies that may have molds from Lyman and other commercial manufacturers on the shelf. I myself found the RCBS .22-55-SP in a small company in France, which I had been looking for for a very long time.

There is one possibility to get it
    http://johannsen-shop.de/LYMAN-.38-3...kokille/218976
    Thanks for the link. Well, so it happened that a replacement mold arrived directly from Lyman on late April. I don't know how it managed to pass customs but it did. It didn't say anything about that on the label. So far, I've just eyeballed the mold and this one appears to be machined nicely.

Before that I managed to order a six cavity brass mold 360-429 (among many others...) from Mihec so now the Keith situation appears to be fixed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast