MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winchester 452AA powder

452aa

Steve here... Here is a pic of my two 452AA cans. Both 3/4's full. The big one is a 10 pounder and the little one is 1lb. Like others have said I use it in my shotguns, 38 super 9mm 45acp.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_9544.jpg  

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I have also had great results using 452AA in the .455 MkII and .44-40 Winchester:

Attachment 281096Attachment 281095

The .455 load shown is perfectly fine in the Colt New Service and S&W Hand Ejectors, but is a bit "warm" for use in the top-break Webleys! I would cut 1/2 grain for those.

In the .44-40 the 6.5 grain charge listed shown with my 1905 Colt matches the velocity of pre-WW2 balloon-head factory loads with Sharpshooter powder and shoots to its fixed sights.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Mold
    which powder bushing should be used with 7 1/8 shot

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by rebs View Post
    which powder bushing should be used with 7 1/8 shot
    That would all depend on which make of shotshell press you have.
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

I’ve got 4 lbs in a 5 lb can. Works great for mid-power loads in a 45 Colt with a 0.82 cc Lee disk for 6.95 grains (average for 10 charges), with a Lee 255 RNFP. Right on the money with what Outpost75 said about 7 grains
    Last edited by Castaway; 02-18-2022 at 07:29 PM.

Boolit Master
    Shot up a lot of it in 12 gauge and 45 ACP. The old handouts from Winchester had data for 38 SPCL and 45 ACP and IIRC the SPEER #11 had some also.

452 AA works well with cast bullet loads in the 45 ACP, 38 Spl, and 9x19mm. It does not take a lot of powder per cartridge case to get good results, with consistency.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by jdoma120 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. All info is helpful. its just to much powder not do do something with it. While its old, its not as old as me and I'm holding up pretty well!
    That powder is not that old, I shot surplus WWII powder Saturday in a rifle match. Worked just fine. The 57 primers are semi-obsolete, just gave a buddy 300 of them a couple of weeks ago. He's got a small barrel full of the old Remington hulls that take them, he also has a couple of bricks of the 57's he's working through. He uses them on practice skeet.

Find a dedicated Lyman shotgun manual. It will go through all the basics. You may have wanted to grab your buddies hulls. Wad types are hull specific. The hulls you have may not take the wads you received.

Lyman #2 is the one I think you are looking for. I believe that is the edition that has the data you are looking for. I'd check mine but it is on loan to a buddy who needed it for Alcan data.

FleeceBay has one, but it's $94, If I had known they were that pricey I'd made the buddy give me a security deposit

Bushing # used is dependent on the load you are trying to assemble. 3/4 oz. for light recoiling skeet loads or 1-1/2 oz. for busting geese is, A:different sized bushing to drop more or less powder, and B:may very well be a completely different powder.

Boomer shotgun loads are just like boomer rifle loads, different amounts of powder AND different powder. And wads. And hulls.

I started loading 12 gauge shotgun shells in 1975 with a Lee Whack-A-Mole. Owned and used 30+ different loading presses over the years. Garage sale/Craigslist finds that I cleaned up, reconditioned and pedaled to other shotgunners.

Down to 5 MEC press in 12, 16, 20, 28 and .410.

Only loaded about 200 boxes of shells so far this year. Just waiting on better weather to shoot them.
    Last edited by 15meter; 03-14-2022 at 06:30 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    With the supply shortages we are experiencing I got out my 452AA and am loading some 44-40 ammo. Having an issue with position sensitivity. I'm testing with different primers. So far the WLP is the winner. But Es and Sd aren't up to par. I may have to lower my standards.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by nitro-express View Post
    With the supply shortages we are experiencing I got out my 452AA and am loading some 44-40 ammo. Having an issue with position sensitivity. I'm testing with different primers. So far the WLP is the winner. But Es and Sd aren't up to par. I may have to lower my standards.
    I am loading 6.6 grains of 452AA in the .44-40 with the Accurate 43-206H bullet cast 1 to 30 tin-lead, sized .430in Starline brass with WLP primer. In my 1925 Colt New Service with 5-1/2" barrel and 0.008" cylinder gap velocity is 916 fps with Sd 16 fps and ES 39 fps.

In my 1905 Colt SA 5-1/2" with 0.010" cylinder gap the same load gives 887 fps with Sd 28 fps and ES 64 fps.

In 1919 Winchester '92 carbine 1079 fps, Sd 12 and ES 37

You don't say which gun you are shooting, but some of the modern Colt clones which have lightened action to ease cocking effort and lighten trigger pull do not have adequate hammer throw to produce uniform velocities with modern primers. My pre-WW2 Colts all have a minimum of 0.032" driven protrusion with hammer down and produce 0.016-0.018" indent on copper following the government test procedure, compared to the 0.012" copper indent spec for the M9 pistol.

Tweaked Cowboy competition guns I have checked frequently fail to produce 0.010" copper indent, and without knowing your gun this is a common cause of the problem you described.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 03-20-2022 at 04:35 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Still have bout 5 pounds of it for my 45's and 38's.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12