RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winchester 452AA powder

Boolit Mold

Question Winchester 452AA powder

I recently bought some shotgun reloading equipment from an estate and ended up with over 7lbs of Winchester 452AA powder that is most likely from the early 80's. 2 of the cans looked to be still originally sealed so it should be fresh. My question is what can I do with it? I am newer to reloading and only have current manuals and see no mention of this powder. I read on various posts that I can also use it for loading 45 acp, which I have. I am also interested in loading it for 45 Colt if possible/safe and maybe 30 caliber rifle loads(30 carbine, 30-06, 308) if applicable . Does anyone have load data to offer? I am not fully set up for shotgun reloading yet as I am still acquiring the necessary tools, so I was not planning on using it for shot shells at this time. Oh yeah, I also got a couple hundred remington 57 star primers that look like 209 primers but just a bit smaller. Are they an outdated size that are no longer used? They look very similar to the remington 97 star primers I also got, but those boxes said "209 size" in parenthesis.

Boolit Master
    My recollection is that there is pistol load data for 452AA in Speer #11, but I can’t find my electronic copy at the moment.

Moderator Emeritus
    Do a search here and several threads come up. This one has a lot of load date: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/arch...p/t-14108.html

Banned
    It's a great 45 auto powder. Until it left the market it was a favorite for bullseye shooting

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I am still using 452AA powder and like it very much. It is similar to, but not identical to the current WST which replaced it.

If loading .38 Special or .45 ACP wadcutter in a Star or similar machine, if the powder slide is set to meter a safe charge with Bullseye, you can simply refill the powder hopper with 452AA and keep loading and you will have a safe target load although the powder charge weight will be a bit lighter and will produce a bit lower velocity. It isn't necessary to increase the powder charge as long as the pistol cycles.

A powder slide setting which meters 3 grains of Bullseye will throw 2.8 grains of 452AA.
    A setting for 3.5 grains of Bullseye meters 3.2 grains of 452AA.
    A setting for 5 grains of Bullseye meters 4.6 of 452AA and will cycle an M1A1 Thompson with #452374.

In the .44-40 Winchester 6.5 grains of 452AA with a 208-grain soft lead bullet is a safe and accurate load for the 1873 Winchester and Gen1 Colt SAs.

7 grains of 452AA with a 255-grain lead conical similar to #454190 is a very close approximation of factory loads in the .45 Colt.

In the .30-'06 8.5 grains of 452AA is an accurate gallery and small game load with 160-grain plainbased cast bullets.

Attachment 271211
    Last edited by Outpost75; 11-11-2020 at 12:38 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

About your primers, yes, I think they're obsolete.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the replies. All info is helpful. its just to much powder not do do something with it. While its old, its not as old as me and I'm holding up pretty well!

Boolit Master
    It's a great 12 gauge shotgun powder too.I just finished loading the last pound I had left from many years ago. Good find.
    The primers are pretty much useless unless you can find someone with a stash of the old Remington hulls made for them.
    Last edited by LynC2; 11-11-2020 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Primer question
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Boolit Master
    If you bought shotgun loading stuff, we assume you will be loading for shotgun so use the stuff.

Check what the machine drops for weight of shot and powder as it may be all set for use.

You didn't state what machine you bought but MEC bars are marked for shot weight and bushing s are numbered. The remaining question is set for which shell.

With those answers we have load data for you. Great for pistol too, l would love to have such a find! Good luck

jdoma120-- I don't know how I missed it, but welcome to the Forum. Lots of nice folks here with good information. Welcome aboard!

Boolit Master
    i use it for 12 ga 20 ga and 45acp work up loads almost gone 80s production stopped about 1990

gotta buy some of dat new fangled powder sooon ??? its not $8 per pound now?

Boolit Mold
    Thanks, been checking out the site for the past few months and am learning how much I don't know.

Boolit Mold
    Its a MEC 600 jr with 3 bars and 6 bushings. I have not gone through the manual or cleaned it up yet, but it came to me loaded up with powder and #71/2 shot, 60 lbs more of the same shot and a bunch of 209 or 209 style primers, 1 bag of wads(something else to learn about), plus the powder that started this conversation. I was offered several thousand 12 gauge hulls of which I took a few hundred since I have a nice supply of once fired matching high brass hulls.(anybody in S. Texas need 12 gauge hulls?). This will be my first go at reloading shot shells and I need to figure all the stuff I need to do it right.

Boolit Master
    was a very popular powder for 12 ga loads in 70s 80s

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlezx View Post
    was a very popular powder for 12 ga loads in 70s 80s
    This.
    I used a lot of 452AA in 12 ga. target loads. Clean burning, uniform metering without bridging in the drop tube, it was my favorite trap powder.

I never tried it in metallic cartridges so I can't speak to that use.

Uncle R.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    jdoma120, first of all , welcome to the best forum on the internet!!!!!! As for Winchester 452AA, go to Amazon, or ask our fine moderators and members here, ( someone probably has an electronic copy here they can send you) And buy yourself a copy of the Speer #11 reloading manual, it has a ton of loads in a lot of calibers for this fine powder! Good luck. These fine gentlemen here will help you for sure.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master

Also look for the Winchester tenth edition of their reloading components catalog 1985 time frame. It has of course the shotgun info but some on 38 spl and 45 acp

Gmsharps

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jdoma120 View Post
    Its a MEC 600 jr with 3 bars and 6 bushings. I have not gone through the manual or cleaned it up yet, but it came to me loaded up with powder and #71/2 shot, 60 lbs more of the same shot and a bunch of 209 or 209 style primers, 1 bag of wads(something else to learn about), plus the powder that started this conversation. I was offered several thousand 12 gauge hulls of which I took a few hundred since I have a nice supply of once fired matching high brass hulls.(anybody in S. Texas need 12 gauge hulls?). This will be my first go at reloading shot shells and I need to figure all the stuff I need to do it right.
    Be sure to follow the loading data exactly for shotguns especially, as the barrels are thin and there isn't much leeway compared to a normal metallic cartridge. Not that one shouldn't do that for all reloads unless one is certain changing it is acceptable and safe.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Boolit Bub
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050862.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	153.5 KB 
ID:	275075
    Several years ago I was given a full 6lb. can of 452AA by a buddy who was qetting out of shotshell reloading.
    On-line checking showed it to be very close, if not the equivalent, to Hogdon Trap 100, so using data for that powder I used it in 9mm. 125gr. and .45ACP 230gr. loads until I sold those guns.
    I still use it in 38 Special and 357 Magnum loads, both with 158gr. bullets with the data for Trap 100 and it gives good results.
    As it's a very economical to load powder (3.5gr. in 38 Spl. and 5.5gr. in 357 Mag.), I figure I still have a couple of years worth of it left in that can.

I loved 452AA in 45 acp and 9mm
    Avatar - 2006, my oldest son (6'2"), trying to lift the 95lb Cobia he caught at Cape Hatteras, NC from the beach.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast