Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: creating RCBS wrinkle paint

Boolit Master

creating RCBS wrinkle paint

posted on this section because i think that it belongs here. this is what i came up with so far. using the back of a old aluminum road sign. sand, clean, prime. used krylon gloss emerald green. rusteoleum john deer green is about the same. neither quite matches, but, close (they are a little darker). some sites sau to spray with a clear laquer afterwards, but, that didn't work. here's what did work (mostly) . first i used a pump sprayer filled with lacquer thinner 10 minuets or so after the color coat; nothing but some fisheyes. waited 18 hrs. and i got wrinkles. a larger pattern than i wanted, but it was wrinkled. i don't think that the process adhears to the aluminum very well. i can scrape some off with my fingernail the next day; but maybe it needs more time. and, the porosity of the rcbs cassting should help a lot. i think that there is room for improvment; so, those of you that like to "tinker" see what you can do. after proof reading the above directions; what i meant by saying i waited 18 hrs. and got wrinkles,was that after 18 hrs. i sprayed with lacquer thinner again and wrinkles appeared.

If you could find some actual Wrinkle Paint in a color you'd like it would work. Another way is to spray over wrinkle paint with fine coats of your color. In any event Wrinkle paints generally require curing under a Heat Lamp to make them wrinkle.

I did an RCBS Press for my Son, and left the Wrinkle Paint in tact and sprayed over it with thin coats of Rustoleum Emerald Green Hammer Tone and cooked it under a Heat Lamp. It came out nice and has texture that looks kind of like full on wrinkle finish. And in the sunlight it shines like a Diamond in a Goat's A.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I spoke with RCBS about the color and they suggested getting "antique green" for a close match.
    I think I see a rip in the social fabric, Brother can you spare some ammo?
    Corb Lund