RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 36 of 40 FirstFirst ... 262728293031323334353637383940 LastLast

Thread: New to using a 'PEEP & GLOBE' at 50 yards...

Your test two target shows improvement. Just how much is up for grabs.
    Some other things to try........
    1-Put a pressure point of some sort between the end of the stock and the barrel. Might even try moving it around to see if that matters.
    2-Find some fairly thin strips of lead and wrap the barrel in various spots to see if that works better than mercury.
    3-Find a rubber vibration damper and try that in various positions on the barrel.

uscra112...said - "...It only correlated to how many things you try." ... I agree 100%

thanks tazman... I want to further investigate this 'hairballed scheme' by making a clamp-on mount that will give me about 1/2" of adjustment sorta like a tuner adds to the barrel length.
    I have the parts, the clamps but I can't weld aluminum with my Miller...going to have to outsource that part. Hope to have something working soon.

I know this looks 'kinda funky' but that tuner doesn't look much better...kinda like we want our rifles to resemble an Abrams Tank muzzle!

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

What is the diameter of the barrel?
    Maybe a set of cheap scope rings could be made to work.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    What is the diameter of the barrel?
    Maybe a set of cheap scope rings could be made to work.

That's a good idea taz...
    I want to say it's .890" but that may be the CZ, it's been a while since I measured it, don't remember. I do have a good selection of scope rings.

My thought was to shim the rings with something so they fit the barrel tightly. Then you could epoxy your CO2 tube to a cheap aluminum scope rail or bases and clamp it to the rings using the mounting setup already on the rings. No welding required.
    That way you could adjust it all over the place.

My thought was to shim the rings with something so they fit the barrel tightly. Then you could epoxy your CO2 tube to a cheap aluminum scope rail or bases and clamp it to the rings using the mounting setup already on the rings. No welding required.
    That way you could adjust it all over the place.
    "WOW!"... What a great idea! I just love the collaboration in this thread! ...thank you tazman!

"One man can come up with some good ideas on his own...but....when a community puts their heads together, it goes over the top!"

I can either shim one of of these weaver style 1" rings or just order some 7/8" weaver style and shim them...prolly stick with the 1" I have and look for something hard and thicker than the shim stock I have for shimming the barrel fit.

This is pretty much what you had in mind tazman?

On second thought, I can grind a weaver taper on each side of some 1/4" flat stock & just MIG the bar stock to the Co2 cartridge?
    hmmmm.....got my brain in gear again but I ain't doing anything today...it's the 4'th and a holiday from the shop!

That was the design right there.
    You could also use some thick rubber from an old inner tube shim the rings to the barrel if you like. Might add a little extra vibration dampening to the system as well as keep it from marring the barrel.
    If you can grind a groove or beveled edge into some flat stock, as you suggested, that would work as well. That would make a connection that didn't ruin anything that is usable for something else.
    I don't know what you have on hand or your skills other than your shooting. I was trying for a simple to make design. If you are like me, you have old rings and maybe some bases around from old setups.

My father ran an auto salvage for years while I was growing up. Lots of times, we had to make do with what we had on hand.
    We once designed and built a swiveling boom and winch setup to lift engine blocks into the back of a pickup truck using only parts from cars except for the winch. We used the hand winch from an old wrecker for that.
    A cutting torch and a stick welder did the job. Took us about 15 minutes of thought with paper&pencil to design and about two or three hours to build. Worked like a champ.
    Before that, I had to load the engine blocks into the truck bed by myself. Necessity being the mother of invention and all.
    We did stuff like that all the time.
    Last edited by tazman; 07-04-2021 at 03:10 PM.

That was the design right there.
    You could also use some thick rubber from an old inner tube shim the rings to the barrel if you like. Might add a little extra vibration dampening to the system as well as keep it from marring the barrel.
    If you can grind a groove or beveled edge into some flat stock, as you suggested, that would work as well. That would make a connection that didn't ruin anything that is usable for something else.
    I don't know what you have on hand or your skills other than your shooting. I was trying for a simple to make design. If you are like me, you have old rings and maybe some bases around from old setups.

My father ran an auto salvage for years while I was growing up. Lots of times, we had to make do with what we had on hand.
    We once designed and built a swiveling boom and winch setup to lift engine blocks into the back of a pickup truck using only parts from cars except for the winch. We used the hand winch from an old wrecker for that.
    A cutting torch and a stick welder did the job. Took us about 15 minutes of thought with paper&pencil to design and about two or three hours to build. Worked like a champ.
    Before that, I had to load the engine blocks into the truck bed by myself. Necessity being the mother of invention and all.
    We did stuff like that all the time.
    I know! Wasn't that a wonderful generation to grow up with...our 'Greatest Generation', boy...if you needed something there was always stuff laying around to build it from & if you didn't have it you knew that one of your friends did. I miss those days taz!
    In my neighborhood we were the mini bike and go kart builders..well...along with underground & tree forts in the woods & we had the best BB gun wars on the planet!

Remind me......what is this CO2 cartridge doing?
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    OS put some mercury in it as a shock absorber. Kind of a home made barrel stabilizer/harmonic dampener type thing.

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    I filled it 1/2 full with mercury, threaded the opening with a 10x32thd screw (so I can adjust the quantity if necessary) and the mercury weighs 5.2 ounces.
    I figure that the 'heavy liquid metal' will act as a 'dump...an absorber' of a majority of the shock waves that comes down the barrel and bounces back and forth between the receiver and muzzle before the projectile exits. An 'harmonics tamer' if you will. If in fact it does that, then much less energy will be available to cause the barrel to go through it's gyrations, reducing the amplitude of that reaction of the barrel...me thinks?

What tazman and I have been discussing is a way to mount the cartridge under the muzzle so I can also move it forward of the muzzle by 1/2". That is the amount of adjustment that is in the Harrel tuner on the CZ452. This way it is able to fool the barrel into reacting to the harmonics as if the barrel were longer, changing where the barrel's null point is and moving that null toward the muzzle.

Like I said when I first mentioned this...'I'm just spitwadding here, I'm no engineer but I have a very basic understanding of physics.'

Boolit Grand Master
    OS OK and Taz,

You guys are genie-*****. Love out of the box thinking!!

Damn....site would not let me use that butt word....you must only be geniuses...lol
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    OS OK and Taz,

Damn....site would not let me use that butt word....you must only be geniuses...lol

Now my head is swelling. Gonna have to get a bigger hat.
    No problem though. The wife will cut me down to size pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    OS OK and Taz,

heheee....so far we ain't doing nuttin but 'spitballing' but the heck of it is...it just might work?

Just make sure none leaks out at the range. Or the EPA will declare your bench a Superfund Site.
    Cognitive Dissident

Just one point to consider. It may be nothing but that CO2 bottle is off center of the bore-line by quite some. That in itself could set up undesirable barrel harmonics. Or maybe not. Just a thought.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    Todays ammunition isn't on par with the old ezexs or even the old greasy experts. I had a 40x, with a 20x, that was a one hole rifle at 100 yards, on a windless day. Never found a satisfactory brand after the old Winchesters dried up. Due to damage to my right eye, I shot DCM matches with an off set sight arrangement, to use my left eye. I used the amber disk in the front, with a thin post bent down to the bottom of the apperature hole to eliminate canting, and an iris disk in the rear to clear the picture up.

uscra112... That's funny and not funny at the same time. If they ever find out that we used to use mercury in household thermometers and then realize that prolly 80% of the homes in America have suffered a broken thermometer...OMG...the DemTards will have all the reason they need to finally shut the US down for good!

303Guy...
    Where the heck have you been? I was starting to think you got bored with all our shenanigans and left us here in all our confusion?

I noticed that when I put the rifle away that morning, I didn't figure that tape was a good way to attach it...for an instant, when I saw this, I thought that it was from the barrel torquing sideways in addition to up & down...

but then I realized that this happened from the way I carry the rifle to the line...that muzzle nested on a small sand bag.
    That's the CZ there but the same gear goes out with the MKII also...

Today I will try to fabricate a good way to attach that 'Barrel Tamer'...with a little luck I'll be back in business at the 50 yd. line soon.

Got out to the shop early... with the 'Barrel Tamer' on my mind, pretty much knew where I was going except for the fact that I ended up using a scope ring designed for the 11mm small rail. I had a piece of bar stock that was meant to be used...well, after some shaping on the grinder.

Next thing was to get some sample spots with various settings...

It definitely changed the POI on the warmer spot...so I adjusted the scope on the second warmer spot and started right in on spots 1 ~ 10. I thought I had set the tube flush with the front of the muzzle but you can see it's a little back of the muzzle in the top picture. (got in too much of a hurry) I wanted to start off even with the muzzle to use that as a base line...here's the results.

Next was to move it 1/2" in front of the muzzle. (the Harrol tuner on the CZ452 advances that far, figured that'd be the extreme setting?)

From there I moved it back 1" behind the muzzle. I can't say why other than I just wanted to see what I would see?

After noticing I had screwed up in the first test and got it a little behind the muzzle, I carefully aligned it flush with the muzzle and had another go at this setting...here I shoot the final 5 spots and then go up to the warmer/sighter spot on the right...outlined in green, made a little scope correction and tried a 5 shot group to complete the testing for today.

I know this is no way to tune, I just wanted to see what it would do from one extreme setting to another. I know from testing with the CZ452 that there are probably 2 dozen nodes from it's extreme short position to it's longest position of .500".
    I need to make a scale on the top of the bar I welded to the Co2 bottle so I can move it in very small increments and then do a proper 2-shot series of a preliminary node search...find the settings that looked promising and follow up with 5-shot proof groups.

I think I see promise in this 'spitball project'...thanks tazman for steering me straight.
    Now I have quite a bit of work to do to really determine if this 'Barrel Tamer' is really that & whether or not it stays on the MKII.

Page 36 of 40 FirstFirst ... 262728293031323334353637383940 LastLast