Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: PP load for 45-100

Boolit Man

PP load for 45-100

For those that are shooting this round, how many grains are you dropping into the case, with my 45-70 I'm dropping 80 gr of 2f in it, could easily do that with the 100 and just use a wad to fill the space but curious what the ones that do shoot 100 are dropping. I'm using a 500gr ppb.
    Chris W.

Boolit Bub

PP load for 45-100

Quote Originally Posted by mongo40 View Post
    For those that are shooting this round, how many grains are you dropping into the case, with my 45-70 I'm dropping 80 gr of 2f in it, could easily do that with the 100 and just use a wad to fill the space but curious what the ones that do shoot 100 are dropping. I'm using a 500gr ppb.
    Chris W.
    Mongo, I shoot a 45-100 and I can not imagine shooting a 45-110 with a finer granulation than Fg.
    I shoot 86 grains of Fg OE and a 515 grain PP bullet with a MV of 1300 fps.

Keep on hav'n fun!
    MikeT

Boolit Man
    MikeT whys is that? I'm shoot 80gr of 2f OE in 45-70 now, 2F OE and swiss is all I have. Since your only putting 86gr in are you shooting PP or Grease? Thanks

Chris W.

Banned
    put 7 grains of shot gun powder in the bottom of your case before you put your black powder in bottom of the case and of course use a drop tube for the black powder. no wipeing between rounds. accuracy will be good and again no wiping between rounds. have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by chemoman View Post
    put 7 grains of shot gun powder in the bottom of your case before you put your black powder in bottom
    ohhhh boy here we go..........

Banned
    so what is the ohhhhhh boy about. its not a springfield 45/70. its been done with great results for many many years. comment with out stats, cast inuendoes and sit back. ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh boy.

OK, Here is my thought about your reply.
    When you say 7 gr of shotgun powder this leaves the door wide open. It could be anything from Herco to 700X or 800X. 7 grains of some of that powder is a load for a .45 colt or the .44 mag using lighter bullets than one might use in the .45-70. This combined with a heavy bullet plus the weight of black could be a disaster for some rifles chambered in the .45-70 caliber.
    I have heard the comment twice " I have done it for years" in person and seen rifles fragment twice during a match in person when we talked loads loads before a match.
    Yes duplex loads have been used for a long time but using a fast burning powder like shot gun powder at a 10% load for a .45-70 like you posted is not a good thing for someone starting down this road. 7 grains is a 10% load or more for a .45-70.
    Last edited by Lead pot; 11-11-2020 at 12:54 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    DITTO to everything Lead Pot said. The fact you got away with something for years only means the fine cracks haven't opened up yet. The willingness of people to turn black powder firearms into pipe bombs has always and continues to amaze me.

Dave

Boolit Master
    My .45-100 shoots pretty good with 102gr of FFFg and the BACO 538gr PP boolit. I am waiting on a Kalynuik and spring, either order is okay...

Rich

Darn! I went and got some popcorn, came back and sat down, but I must have missed the fireworks!

It's really, really hard to blow up a BPCR using straight black powder, you pretty much have to obstruct the bore. It's easier and so much quicker to get there with duplex or better yet straight smokeless! I've read about many guys and gals that have blown their rifles to pieces and seen the pictures. I thank God I've never seen it in person!

Carry on!
    Jim Kluskens
    aka Distant Thunder

Black powder paper patching is a journey, enjoy the ride!

I’ve often wondered why people interpret “Black Powder Only” as to mean put some fast burning powder in the bottom of your case and have it. I read “Black Powder Only” as to mean just that . I have not heard about a Shiloh giving it up with duplex loads but boy howdy the Pedersoli’s come apart on more than one occasion . The better built guns will handle it longer but how long ? I like my guns “Black Powder Only” means just that.one or the other not both will be consistent over the long haul and not blow your gun up. There are smokeless rifles and there are B/P rifles oblige there intent and all is good.

Having worked on both Shiloh and foreign made BPC rifles I can tell you that there is a world of difference in the steel used to them. One machines like butter with a hot knife the other is made to last for the long haul. I shouldn't have to tell you which is which!

I've had my first Shiloh for 30 years and it's still going strong and better than ever.

The foreign made rifles may look similar from a ways away, but I know what goes into a Shiloh and they are worth every dollar.

My apologies to any owners of foreign made rifles who may be offended by the above, but it's the truth as I have seen it with my own eyes. You are entitled to your opinion too.
    Jim Kluskens
    aka Distant Thunder

Boolit Master
    that is Springtime, 60+ degrees, so I can go shoot outdoors.

My "peashooter" Shiloh came last week; a Montana Rough Rider in 30-40 Krag. 26" standard weight barrel, and Shotgun Buttplate.
    Time to make some 308284 and get to loading.

Idaho,

That would be something interesting to see shoot. I hope you'll post a range report soon?
    Jim Kluskens
    aka Distant Thunder

I have seen the aftermath of one Shiloh that let loose.
    This rifle belonged to a guy that thought bullseye powder because it's a black color that it was it OK to use and filled up the case with it. The action held but the barrel split open.

Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    I have seen the aftermath of one Shiloh that let loose.
    This rifle belonged to a guy that thought bullseye powder because it's a black color that it was black powder and filled up the case with it. The action held but the barrel split open.
    UNBELEVIABLE
    You just can't fix STUPID
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
    --Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtball View Post
    UNBELEVIABLE
    You just can't fix STUPID
    Maybe almost??

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown