Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Any Star "mechanics" here?

Any Star "mechanics" here?

I just received my third Star Sizer. It's hardly used and it's the newest I've ever had so my "problem" may be more of a break in issue than attention needed.

My two other sizer handles move up and down rather freely, this new one despite cleaning it up and liberally oiling it the handle takes a lot more to activate than the other two. I could leave it as is being left handed I can see my right arm at some point resembling a fiddler crab (see pic) eventually. Is this normal and it just needs break in or might it be something else?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fiddlercrabfieldguide_thumb-01.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	270803
    Regards,

Gary

Oil every moving point, including the pivot points and the actuator rod that moves back and forth at the top of the machine. They even provided an oil hole there, but I've gotten some that were completely dry, as in never having been oiled at all. It makes a world of difference.

Some also work smoother when warmed up.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    activate? Are you talking about the pressure it takes to open the lube valve?

I'm right handed and the way furnaces are set up my left hand does all the heavy mold lifting.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

I don't use bullet lube so I set the punch down far enough to not hit the pump plunger. The oil hole and the rest of the machine were desert dry, and even after sizing a hundred bullets it's REALLY stiff. Also there's zero lateral play in the "crank shaft" My two others have enough play I can slip a feeler gauge in between the crank shaft and the housing it passes through. As a matter of fact, any sizer not in use I have to tie the handle in the up position to keep them from wiggling down.
    Last edited by gnappi; 11-06-2020 at 12:27 AM.
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Master

Give some imperial sizing wax a try on the bearing points.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    I think you've found the source of your trouble. I'd remove the nut holding the handle on and see if removes your tension issue. You might have some galling going on from non-lubrication. All those levers are pinned and staked/riveted in place so they don't come apart easily.

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    I think you've found the source of your trouble. I'd remove the nut holding the handle on and see if removes your tension issue. You might have some galling going on from non-lubrication. All those levers are pinned and staked/riveted in place so they don't come apart easily.
    Yeah, I removed the nut and saw that the whole thing is pinned and it had no effect on the tight fit.

What I may do is thin out either some valve lapping compound or diamond polishing paste and lubricating it with that. I've used both to fit pistol slides and it works well. I'd just have to flush it out well when I see improvement.
    Regards,

Gary

It's remarkable what a few dabs of valve lapping compound in a solution will do to "break in" an issue like this. While it's nothing like my ancient other two it's easier by a LOT to handle.
    Regards,

Gary