Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Soule Sight opinions

Boolit Master

Soule Sight opinions

Getting ready for a major bank account hit. I have both a C. Sharps in .45-70 used and a Browning High Wall with a barrel replacement in .38-55. No sights yet on the Browning but the C. Sharps has their Vernier Tang Sight that has to soft a metal and the retaining spring has scraped enough that there is no notch in the sight to lock in place when in the up right position. What sight would work on the sharps to a 1000 yards? What sight would be best for the Browning to 600 yards? I might try the Browning to 1000 yards knowing that the .38-55 isn't a good 1000 yard round. Have been looking at MVA #103 Long Range Buffalo, Lee Shaver SUPER GRADE SOULE TYPE SIGHTS, Baldwin Long Range Sights, Pedersoli but don't know which as so many, Kelley Long Range Soule Sight, and Hoke Long Range. I like the MVA being made in the USA and warranty their products for life against manufacturing defects. If you use one of the Soule sights I list please tell me how you like it and what you don't like about it.

Prices are all in the same ball park, HIGH!
    Last edited by warren5421; 11-05-2020 at 05:03 PM.

The sights you listed are all great quality. I personally love MVA sights, and if your plan is to shoot 1,000 yds. I'd go for their Soule Long-Range sight. You'll want plenty of windage when shooting 1,000 yds., and occasionally you might still run out if the globe front sight isn't also windage adjustable also. Most the time a fixed globe will work fine with a Soule tang sight. But I have had days when I ran out of windage, and needed to crank some more in at the front sight, or hold over to left or right to get hits.
    Yes, they're all expensive, but you'll appreciate the quality when you need to repeat sight settings, and these high quality sights allow you too do it accurately. If you're not shooting matches you could get by with less, and still have fun. But great sights are a must to compete in matches.

Boolit Master
    I have used MVA, Shaver deluxe, and the Pedersoli ones. The MVA is by far the best in my opinion. That's all I use now, with the exception of one CSA 1885 that still has their sights on it. I can't say personally about the Baldwin sights, but have only heard good things. I have a Baldwin front sight and it's very well made.

Chris.

Boolit Master
    I had the Pedersoli long range sight (the one they make for their Sharps), first on a C. Sharps Hi-Wall and then on my Pedersoli Sharps 45/70. It did OK but would run out of windage adjustment on a windy day and also would reach 1000 yards with not a lot of elevation adjustment left and we occasionally shoot to 1200 yards. I replaced the Pedersoli with a Kelley (made here in Oregon). I'm happy with it and it would be hard to beat.

Boolit Master
    Baldwin or MVA would be my choice. I use a Baldwin on my Crossno Hepburn and use a Heilman for my C Sharps 1885. Not sure if Heilman still makes sights.

Best selection would also go to MVA as they make just about any combination one could want front and rear.

Boolit Master
    MVA front and Baldwin rear.

Yes, Ron Heilman still makes some of the finest sights around.

Boolit Master
    Glad to hear he's still making his sights. Mine is right at 17 years old and still works as well a new. The only time it has ever moved is when I have 80 grains of 1.5F and a 520 grain PP bullet in the C Sharps. Heck, I move when I shoot that load.

Vendor Sponsor

Baldwin is what I have narrowed down to. I have had most brands and MVA, Baldwin and Shaver are lifetime sights and backed up that way. The reason I settled on Baldwin is the engraved lines are much easier for my older eyes to read and count.
    You are smart for choosing a top quality sight over a second rate sight because they work flawlessly and will for years, and if ever there is a mishap, they will often repair for free. They are that committed to their customers.
    Chill Wills

Lee Shaver's Super grade are lifetime sights, but his Economy Soule sights are not. I had a staff come loose and fall off a Shaver Economy Soule, and he fixed it, but not for free. It cost $35 to silver solder it back on and he admitted they'd had trouble with earlier solder joints not being silver soldered, and failing.
    I had hoped he'd stand behind this, but not on the Economy Soule at least.

Is your Browning factory drilled & tapped?
    I have a Browning Soule sight I would sell.

Boolit Master
    I have a Lee Shaver's long range sight on my roller, room left at 1200 yds. great sight repeatable. when needed it tightened up, he charged for that.

Quote Originally Posted by mcooper357 View Post
    Soule has plenty of flexibility. Never loses hold
    Hope he's found a sight already, since this was two years ago!

Boolit Grand Master
    I had one of the early Shaver Soule sights, a conversion actually, made by cutting the stem off of a long range Italian sight and (soft?) soldering it to his Soule style spindle. It broke off in the first or second BPCS matching shot after installing it on my 45-70 (re-)barreled original high wall. He said he would repair it for me if I sent it back, but I never got around to it. Maybe soon, it’s only been 20 years or so.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    I had one of the early Shaver Soule sights, a conversion actually, made by cutting the stem off of a long range Italian sight and (soft?) soldering it to his Soule style spindle. It broke off in the first or second BPCS matching shot after installing it on my 45-70 (re-)barreled original high wall. He said he would repair it for me if I sent it back, but I never got around to it. Maybe soon, it’s only been 20 years or so.

Froggie
    I bought one of his older Soule sights from an ad on ASSRA. It too had the staff broken off where the solder joint was bad. I got it dirt cheap, and sent it to Lee Shaver to be fixed after calling him and he quoted me $35. Got it fixed quickly, and returned to me with a receipt for $50 cost billed to my credit card. Called them to discuss the extra charge, and was told they had a price increase. I told Lee's wife he quoted me the price, and that his word should be good. He got on the phone and agreed it was a mistake, but then asked if I wanted the difference back? Of course I wanted my money back. The whole experience kinda put me off Shaver sights, and I wont be buying any in the future.

Boolit Master
    I have 2 MVA rear peeps, and 3 front sights, quality all the way. I also have 2 Lee Shaver soule sights, long range, and I love them. I also have 3 of the Pedersolis, soule type, and no issues with them. My favorite is the lee Shavers, just my preference. They have more room to move, side to side and up and down. Never had a problem with them, and I shoot them weekly, same for the MVA. Hope this helps.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    Lee Shaver's Super grade are lifetime sights, but his Economy Soule sights are not. I had a staff come loose and fall off a Shaver Economy Soule, and he fixed it, but not for free. It cost $35 to silver solder it back on and he admitted they'd had trouble with earlier solder joints not being silver soldered, and failing.
    I had hoped he'd stand behind this, but not on the Economy Soule at least.
    I made mine (three rears plus a windage front sight) - and yeah that staff joint must be silver soldered or brazed - ordinary solder no way good enough Click image for larger version. 

Name:	soule sight.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	304437

Boolit Master
    I owned a nd shot a Shaver Soule for about fifteen years and I liked it but if you're going to spend the money, spend it well. I replaced the Shaver with an MVA and I wish I'd gone with MVA from Day One.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    I ended up with a MVA long range soule for the sharps and an exter mount for the High Wall. I did put the Browning sight on it for everyday use as it seens to be a good sight after use for almost 2 years. Works good with the .38-55 range.