RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Nikon “lifetime” scope warranty has fizzled

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Those VX-3i's are sweet scopes, I have a 1-5x20 on one of my .30-30's.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

You got a great deal there.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Those VX-3i's are sweet scopes, I have a 1-5x20 on one of my .30-30's.

I didn’t realize they made the vx-3i in a 1-5x. I picked up a 1.75-6X vx 3i just before they discontinued it. It’s a perfect light scope in Talley mounts for my Montana .308

I like the low end for lever guns too. I have 1-4X Leipolds on my .30-30 and my .35 Remington.
    Like others here Ali have a couple Leupold 2-7s, most notably on my savage 99 featherweight.

Attachment 273789
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Update....I got word back from NIKON on my pro-staff. Beyond repair and was issued a voucher code for their website. Amount was what I originally paid, so I am only out shipping costs and a functional scope I guess. Downside is I need or want nothing Nikon is currently hocking on their site. Oh well.....

Define “Lifetime” who’s lifetime ? The companies ?, Yours ? Lifetime of the scope ? Who decides what a “Lifetime” is ? Given what the legal system has done to definitions is it worth defining ?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by godzilla View Post
    Update....I got word back from NIKON on my pro-staff. Beyond repair and was issued a voucher code for their website. Amount was what I originally paid, so I am only out shipping costs and a functional scope I guess. Downside is I need or want nothing Nikon is currently hocking on their site. Oh well.....
    If you call them back and ask for a cash refund they will send you a check like they did me. I was told it was a pretty common practice.

My 2.5-8 vx3i showed yesterday. Pretty excited to get an upgrade with plain old standard adjustment turrets and plain old cross hairs. I am out of town so I won't get a chance to see it for a few days. The neighbor grabbed it so porch pirates wouldn't end up with it. I'll have to toss my see through mounts and find a DNZ mount for my 7600 now to mount it up. Leupold said the 2.5-8 was alot brighter than the 3.5-10 model so that's all it took to say yes.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 12-23-2020 at 08:30 AM.

Thanks for the heads up I will give them a ring.

I finally had a chance to Mount the replacement refurbished Nikon Monarch 2.5-10 from Natchez shooters supply and the warranty exchanged leupold 2.5-8 vx111i on both Remington 7600’s today. The leupold 2.5-8 went on the 7600 35 whelen carbine that I had the Nikon Prostaff 5 issues with. I can tell you it was not the scopes fault. I found the barrel loose! The gun was sent to Remington for feeding issues and I had just gotten it back and mounted the Pro staff 5 at the time. The Magazine tube was all scratched up when I bought it so I asked them to replace it while it was there as well. They never did replace it but they sent along a replacement tube. I did try to take it apart before I sent it in and the magazine tube was rock solid…. I could not spin it loose. I did tell Remington it wouldn’t brake loose before I sent it in. Well, when I went to put the scope on today the magazine tube backed out a good 2 full rotations and the barrel was moving back and forth. I noticed the pump flexing and moving so much it was touching the barrel when I placed the gun flat on the table. I can believe I never caught it before I ladder tested it. I also can’t believe it still put three all in exact same hole at 100 yards even with a loose barrel! I would assume they can never tested the scope when they got it back either or they would’ve told me there was nothing wrong with it. I think they just assumed that they couldn’t fix the scope if something was wrong with it so they offered me a coupon to use on their current inventory.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-01-2021 at 10:15 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    buy a good scope from the git go and you only cry once
    I have fallen for the medium range optics myself in buying Burris rifle scopes
    however all my serious hunting rigs get Leupold or Ziess glass
    one time in my life though I want to go all out and buy a Nightforce or Swarovski rifle scope
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

I have way to many rifles to be able to buy that kinda glass for every one. I’d have more money invested in glass than what my house and hunting property is worth combined by the time I got them all scoped. I can tell you the Monarch is hands down brighter and crisper glass than the vx111i. I can also see better with it at dusk.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-03-2021 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Spelling

Boolit Mold
    Hello. I'm new here. While I was looking for a greeting thread, I found this thread and I immediately had a question - Why is everyone praising Nikon optics so much? I understand that they make good professional cameras and it is logical that they understand in lenses and their scopes will be of excellent quality. But I still do not understand this praising. After all, there are many other companies that make scopes and focus solely on them. And it seems to me that such companies have even higher quality than Nikon. Or I'm wrong?
    Last edited by whyserious; 06-26-2022 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Spelling

Boolit Master

Probably due to the fact that they were decent optics for the price point, I have several and they are pretty good quality and came with a lifetime warranty........Which is probably moot since the scope division went toes up a year or so ago. Quite possibly why there hasn't been any comments for a year. Welcome to the forum.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Buddy
    Nikon scopes were priced decently, but the couple I tried weren't anything to write home about. The optics were OK, but the tracking and adjustment quality were sub-par and one of them wouldn't hold zero on a 30-06. They're in my junk box as I type this, having been replaced with mid-range Vortex optics which are significantly superior in every aspect and also have a lifetime warranty. Seriously, though, I'd rather have an excellent optic with a lackluster warranty than a lackluster optic with a lifetime warranty...Nikon was definitely in that latter category IMO.

But it's all a moot point anyway...Nikon stopped making scopes a couple years back.
    Last edited by kerplode; 06-27-2022 at 04:03 PM.

Any scope can fail. I've had four of my so called premium rifle scopes fail over the last four or five years. This is exactly why most of my rifles carry quick release scope rings & open sights. This set up has saved a hunt for me in the past.

Boolit Buddy
    Totally true.

I also set up any "serious use" rifle with QD rings and irons if at all possible. Insurance, two is one, belt and suspenders, and all that...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234