MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nikon “lifetime” scope warranty has fizzled

Banned

buddy and i were just wondering about nikons warantee. I guess im done with them because i sure dont need camera crap if one goes bad. It will be leupold and vortex for here on out.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Yep, they pretty much have written off all their hunting clientele.

Nikon will be gone in the future. sent in a couple back in few years, nothing wrong with them they said. Like Kodak, were good but market dried up. Can't stay in business just with binos. Nikon high end cameras you can't give away.
    Whatever!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Nikon will be gone in the future. sent in a couple back in few years, nothing wrong with them they said. Like Kodak, were good but market dried up. Can't stay in business just with binos. Nikon high end cameras you can't give away.
    ya it makes me wonder. Most people today dont even have a camera they use there cell phones and the market if flooded with good binoculars. I read the reason they did it was there buyers of binocs and cameras were mostly yuppies that are anti gun. Even camera land who sells all kinds of scopes and binocs along with cameras said that for years nikon would not let them sell both cameras and scopes. It was one or the other. My guess is the bean counters there are anti gun.

I guess I got left holding the bag on this one. I've got 5 of them mounted on various rifles. I thought they were a good scope, and haven't had a trouble with mine, but if I do I guess I'll be up a creek without a paddle. Like they say, "there oughta be a law", consumer protection of some sort. This "lifetime warranty" hype that so much stuff is sold with obviously means the company's lifetime and not ours.

DG

I have five of the 3.5x14 pro staff 5's, three of the Monarch 2.5x10's, the crossbow BDC scope, ATB 8x Bonuclars, a 3x9 pro staff still in the box, and a few others I dont remember. If they refund me I probably will buy a refurb 2.5x10 monarch with the proceeds. Ot only has a 90 day warranty so I will toss it if and when it fails. I did find NIB pro staff 7 2.5x10 for $174 but I would have to buy a 30mm DNZ mount to replace the current 1".
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 11-10-2020 at 12:39 PM.

Nikon emailed today and said they would refund my purchase and it would take 14 days before I would receive it. They never dis fims my receipt and said I would receive a check for $229.00. I'll have to call optics planet and see what I paid for it. If it was substantially more I'll ge the receipt emailed to me and I will foward it to Nikon. Call me stupid but I believe I will end up buying another Nikon with the proceeds. I found a 2.5x10 Pro staff 7 NIB for $174 and a refurbished 2.5x10 Monarch 3 for $223. If some other company made a 2.5x10 for what I am getting refunded I would jump on it. Every other manufacturer is about $500 on up.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Took the Buckmasters 4-12x40 off my .257 and installed a new Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 that I bought awhile back because the price was too good to pass up. And, turns out I like the Trophy better. The glass seems more clear and the DOA 600 reticle is easier on my eyes than the reticle with circles that the Buckmasters had. I have always had good success with the mid-priced Bushnell scopes like this one, so hopefully it will last a good while.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    But, your Leupold and Vortex warranties are only good as long as the company is around. Yeah, Leupold has been around a long time, but, Weaver had been around a long time too. And Vortex might go away or get bought out when the current leadership retires. Never know what the future will bring.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    But, your Leupold and Vortex warranties are only good as long as the company is around. Yeah, Leupold has been around a long time, but, Weaver had been around a long time too. And Vortex might go away or get bought out when the current leadership retires. Never know what the future will bring.
    I agree. I looked and a 2.5x10 vortex viper with regular crosshairs on line for $249 last night. I believe I will probably roll the dice and buy a refurbished 2.5x10 monarch bdc for $223 which is my favorite close range optic. The same company had NIB pro staff 7 2.5x10 30mm tube for $174. I am considering it as a second choice. It's nice that this one is brand new in the box but I'm guessing the monarch has better glass. The only issue is I will have to buy a 30mm dnz ring set up to replace my 1" DNZ which will cost more in the long run. So far the refurb monarch is in the lead for replacent. I still like my Nikon optics and imo they have clearer and brighter glass than most optics out there under a grand.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 11-11-2020 at 07:33 PM.

Boolit Master
    I've bought 2 refurbished Nikon digital SLR cameras and have had no problems at all. My theory is that a refurbished item is probably something that failed early on and once refurbished has had the bugs worked out of it. Perhaps such a scope will also work well. GF

I received my $229 refund check yesterday. I also sold a NIB 3-9 prostaff on eBay two days ago for $180.00. I bought the 3-9 prostaff from Dick’s on sale for $79 this past spring. I saw they were selling on eBay for $185 so I figured if I sold it for that kind of money I could upgrade to a $174.00 pro staff 7, 2.5-10 with a 30 mm tube and a front focus which I need for my eyes. I ordered a refurbished 2.5-10 Monarch 3 for $223 and the new prostaff 7 for an additional $27 out of pocket. The company I bought them from has a no hassle 15 day free return so I will inspect them when the scopes arrive. I figured. If the Monarch is scratched, dented, or has reign marks I will return it for another PS 7. I was told most the refurbished scopes look like brand new.

I had to roll the dice just because I love my Nikon scopes. Also it was the only one that failed me. I wrecked a few from loose scope rings in the past. If they fail the refurb I’ll just toss out and the PS 7 has a 7 year warranty for credit or refund.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 11-20-2020 at 05:35 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    To get your receipt, go to Optics Planet and login. At the bottom of the homepage is 'My Orders'. The record is right there.

Quote Originally Posted by crackers View Post
    To get your receipt, go to Optics Planet and login. At the bottom of the homepage is 'My Orders'. The record is right there.
    No records of it. I must have ordered it without an account set up. I ordered a couple of utradot matchdots from them and there is no record either.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 11-20-2020 at 09:34 PM.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Just sold my $130.00 Buckmasters II for $202.50, so alot of folks still really want them.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I've got 3-4 Nikon Buckmasters and Prostaff and really like them. I'm more disappointed that they've stopped selling them than I am about the warranty. If I can still find them for around $150.00 I'll buy them and hope my luck holds.

Banned
    Sad news. We have a bunch. Never had a fail. Lucky me bought them all at clearance or used prices. Thanks for theheads up though.

Boolit Master
    Is Burris still around, I like there items.

Only trouble I ever had with scopes was a gun falling. They will not cover a damaged tube, or sight adjustment that user damage and not the manufacturer.

I have bought a number of used scopes and there okay. Most of the scope ?? end up being the mount.

Boolit Master

I have an older Prostaff 4x12 that was on a .30-06 for years with no issues. I've bought probably another half dozen Nikon scopes that I have been really happy with.

Then last month, I took the old Nikon off the Ruger and mounted it on a Model 70 in .30-06 Ackley Improved. I went to sight it in and now the reticle is not responding to the adjustments. Tried the old trick of tapping on the turrets with a block of wood and they move, but still erratically.

Going to replace it with a Vortex.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Banned

Several years ago I bought a Savage Axis 30-06 combo at a LGS. The scope was an entry level Bushnell, it turned out to be a fixed power rimfire scope. I took my first shot and the crosshairs dropped to one side diagonally. I contacted Bushnell and they had me send it in. It was declared un-repairable, which I already figured. I received an email telling me and informing me I would receive a new scope in 7 - 10 days. It came in 5 days and I put it on my grandsons Crickett. In the mean time I had bought a new Bushnell 3-9X40 for my 30-06 and it's still on there after many many rounds shot.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast