WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SIZING THE 9MM lUGER CASE

Boolit Master

SIZING THE 9MM lUGER CASE

I have a beautiful set of loading dies from Redding. The sizing die has a carbide insert. Since the 9mm case is not straight but tapered. I have never reloaded the 9MM before so I never dealt with the question. There must be many on this site who reload this round. What die do you use to resize the case?
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

I use the RCBS carbide size die with the carbide insert. I know a purest wants to keep the small taper of the 9X19 case but all my 9 reloads are more accurate than the man shooting them even if they are straight walled so I don't worry about it. They feed fine in four different nines that I shoot. Gp

Boolit Master
    I have used the Dillon and Lee steel and the RCBS and Lee carbide. All of them have done a great job. Aside: I do spray the brass I'm gonna size in the carbide ones, just to ease the effort. A little tumble in a damp towel takes the One Shot right off. Just loaded 1250 125s and 400 158 subsonics, in a very old RCBS carbide, with One Shot. The sizer was the least of my problems.

Boolit Master
    The reason I posted the question was what I read in the Sierra loading manual. I stated that a carbide die should not be used. While I have been reloading for a very long time, I never load for the 9mm. The same problem applies to the 45 Colt since it too is a tapered case. Thanks guys for your response. I will use the Redding dies. The only problem I have with the Redding is opening the the case. I have to use a screw driver. Thanks again
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Grand Master

A set of steel CH4D dies ... I bought them back in the early 70's ... I didn't have a 9mm then but my Dad had a Walther P-38 , and a set of Lee carbide dies I bought for my son ... but he wasn't interested in reloading so I kept them .
    I use the steel CH4D sizer die because the Lee carbide sizes them down too much for my likes .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

The carbide ring does make a slightly tapered case into a straight wall.

But they got it figured out.
    The rear of the case fits where its supposed to, and the front end fits after you're done flaring & seating--- its all good.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

just wait till you get some with a "glock" bulge, then you have to do a full length die or a roll sizer.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Buddy
    The carbide inserts in my RCBS and Lee dies are tapered. They are .391 at the base and .370 farther up in the die. They both work equally well and produce a tapered case.

RCBS Die Set Part # 20515, "89" year stamp on top of the dies.
    Last edited by cupajoe; 11-04-2020 at 09:24 AM.

Boolit Master
    I use the Lee carbide insert dies and they also work fine. I think you will find that all the normal die manufacturers have it figured out. Not something to worry about.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cupajoe View Post
    The carbide inserts in my RCBS and Lee dies are tapered. They are .391 at the base and .370 farther up in the die. They both work equally well and produce a tapered case.
    Do you have the part # for the RSBS dies? I have a 9mm RCBS set and it doesn’t do this so I’m curious. I’m away from the shop but will look at the numbers tonight.

Banned
    I have loaded thousands of 9mm Luger cartridges using a Redding Carbide sizing die in a Dillon 550. It works perfectly.

Don't over think this stuff. It works just fine.

Moderator Emeritus

Here's a thought...when I'm converting 9x19 into 9x18, the first firing (where the brass isn't near the shape of the gun's chamber) seems just as accurate for typical handgun shooting as a properly sized piece of brass.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    The reason I posted the question was what I read in the Sierra loading manual. I stated that a carbide die should not be used. While I have been reloading for a very long time, I never load for the 9mm. The same problem applies to the 45 Colt since it too is a tapered case. Thanks guys for your response. I will use the Redding dies. The only problem I have with the Redding is opening the the case. I have to use a screw driver. Thanks again
    Read your post and checked with the SAMMI case drawings for the 45 Colt. They indicate that the 45 Colt has a straight (not tapered) case. Thought you would want to know. Good Luck,
    Centertube

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    The carbide ring does make a slightly tapered case into a straight wall.

But they got it figured out.
    The rear of the case fits where its supposed to, and the front end fits after you're done flaring & seating--- its all good.
    Nope.

I have yet to see a 9mm carbide die that turns that tapered case into a straight wall case.

I use my Dillon Carbide sizing die to size 9mm. Thousands of rounds per year with no problem.
    NRA Benefactor.

Just use what you have and see how well it works.

Boolit Master

Seems if there was a problem with any particular brand we would see a bunch of bashing threads. Heck, we see plenty of those on products that work well!

All I've got is my old non-carbide, RCBS set. I do most of my sizing in front of the TV with my Lee Hand Press, so if it were tough I'd know. So far I've only done about seven bazillion of them. I use Hornady One Shot, and if I had a carbide die, I wouldn't bother with that. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    Nope.

I have yet to see a 9mm carbide die that turns that tapered case into a straight wall case.

I use my Dillon Carbide sizing die to size 9mm. Thousands of rounds per year with no problem.
    Dillon sizing die has a carbide ring. That ring is a single size, so whatever part of the case gets sized, it gets sized to that size. It isn’t straight walled or tapered, it’s kinda stepped.

Disagree?

Boolit Master

Ended up with the sizing die from a set of Lees - cautiously set - for the .38S&W to gain a little more expansion for my .357" diameter cast bullets. After that, it's all Dillon dies for the rest of the trip around the carousel. Final TC die set to put the case mouth at the "per spec" .380" - thus far, the rounds seem to behave themselves.

But from my experience with their excellent rifle dies, the folks at Redding are not idiots. Roll with it unless it gives you a reason not to.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    All I've got is my old non-carbide, RCBS set. I do most of my sizing in front of the TV with my Lee Hand Press, so if it were tough I'd know. So far I've only done about seven bazillion of them. I use Hornady One Shot, and if I had a carbide die, I wouldn't bother with that. jd
    I actually do the same thing with my Lee hand press. I put the brass I'm going to size in a gallon sized ziplock bag, give the inside a few squirts of Dillion case lube, then close it up and kneed it around so that all the exterior surfaces of the cases get a coating of lube. After that I'll do a case mouth belling run, and then throw all the brass back into my wet tumbler to clean off the lube and the primer pockets. I've found it to be a very thorough method of getting the brass as clean as possible so that the seal between the brass-to-primer and brass-to-bullet is more water tight. For defensive loads I'll use X Products' X-Sealant which is by far the fast product I have found for sealing the primer and case mouths to make them water proof.
    No longer selling police range brass. Just brass and ammo from my own collections on occasion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast