Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Help with new Star sizer

Help with new Star sizer

Anyone else find the large jam nut which locks down the reservoir, impossible to break free?

Boolit Master

Welcome to the site on your first posting ")

Please take a look at the exploded parts listing and let us know the name of the nut

Thanks
    Mike

https://starreloaders.com/manuals/manuals.html

p.s. are you taking about #109 ??

p.s.s. brand new or just new to you?
    Last edited by skeettx; 10-31-2020 at 09:05 PM.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Welcome to the forum!

If you're talking about the base of the machine, you don't really want to remove that nut. Like skeettx says, more information on exactly which nut you're talking about would be helpful.

Hope this helps.

Fred

PS: I moved your thread to the correct sub-forum, where it will get more attention.
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

It is not shown on the diagram. I have the original hard copy of the manual that came with the unit and wrote to you folks here partially because it is not shown. But it is locking down the grease cylinder to the base. I suspect that you screw the cylinder down until it is at the proper height and then this nut is jammed down and tightened against the base. It’s internal thread matches the external thread on the bottom end of the grease cylinder so it has a nominal diameter of 1.25 inches.
    If anyone here is in to the history of the unit he might be aided by knowing that my unit was from an era when some of the parts were painted blue.
    Thanks again.
    Last edited by Longfellow; 11-01-2020 at 05:52 AM.

Why do you want to break it free? That nut is used in assembly and shouldn't be touched afterwards unless the machine has to be taken apart for repair.....and that requires special equipment.

The original Star Lubesizers were all painted blue. The Jam nut was a later addition, and I have never been able to pinpoint when it was added, but I think probably in the 60's. Although I have never seen it in the many copies I have worked on, I have heard that there was the possibility that the lube cylinder could rotate in the base. I understand that the jam nut was added to prevent the possibility of this very rare problem.

When Magma Engineering bought the Star Lubesizer business in 1997, they dispensed with the blue paint.
    Star Machine Works - Owner
    The Original Blue Press - Made by Machinists not Machines.
    NRA Patron Member

[QUOTE=rbwillnj;5021609]Why do you want to break it free?

I’m an Engineer. It’s what we do.

Boolit Grand Master
    If it isn’t broken, it can be wise to leave it alone.

Some really smart guys here, so hoping they can help you out. Call Magma if no one here knows how to get it apart.
    Don Verna

I'm going to leave it alone.

Boolit Master

Nope, my old one does not have that nut. I would not think about pulling the lube tank off of mine. A hair dryer will clean anything old out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    Nope, my old one does not have that nut. I would not think about pulling the lube tank off of mine. A hair dryer will clean anything old out of it.
    For sure, and it's what I plan on doing to all of mine when I re-mount them next week.
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Master
    The very earliest units didn't have the jam/lock nut. Star probably started that to streamline manufacturing to get the correct height and alignment for the reservoir cuz' so much of the parts rely on it for correct position. My Magma is a little out of alignment between punch and sizing die so I use a slightly smaller punch.