Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: blown barrels and brains MIA

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I figured it was a combination of things:
    The stars came together with the strength of a S&W revolver, the low power loads of GI issue .38Spec. ,
    and a few guys that shouldn't really have been handling firearms.
    You're forgetting the cylinder gap. I've seen similar cross sectioned revolver barrels.
    It seems with revolvers it's possible to stack multiple rounds in barrels after squibs because the pressure is vented through the gap, which out otherwise blow out catastrophically after the first shot in a design without that quirk.

I also remember a story about a hi-point carbine that got returned to the factory (and subsequently refurbished) that had then barrel stacked full of rounds. It seems that blowbacks are sometimes also able to survive multiple stuck rounds by nature of not being a locked breech.

Boolit Master

When I was working at The Gun Exchange, a customer brought in a Blackhawk that he had shot surplus tracer rounds into, not through. Claimed the tracers had "welded the barrel shut." I removed 6 bullets from the bore, no damage done to the gun.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    Your post reminded me of a day in my youth , a older cousin and myself were tramping through the woods after some squirrels , well Joseph had one in a tree so he takes his shot , I can still see his face after he took the shot , with the shotgun still at his shoulder he said " I sure hope that's a leaf " well it wasn't .
    I don’t get it.

A friend brought over a S&W Chiefs Special that his son was shooting " till it quit working"- it had two bullets in the barrel and one bridging the cylinder gap- and one live one still in the cylinder. The ammo was the 130gr fmj .38 Special. It took some careful drill and worm work, and a new locking bolt; but it survived with no damage. I offered to buy it because it shot so well; no luck.
    Another friend bought some subsonic 147gr 9mm cast ammo at a gun show. Shooting his Marlin Camp Carbine; he began to wonder where it was hitting.... he stuck 5 in the barrel. They came out easy with a brass rod and the gun lives on.
    One needs to observe bullet impacts and odd report, obviously!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12