Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: New 44-40 Full Metal Jacket Bullet

New 44-40 Full Metal Jacket Bullet

https://hammerbullets.com/product/42...g-claw-hammer/

We designed this bullet for the 44-40 Winchester lever action. Given the sub 2000 fps vel of this cartridge, we decided that a Claw Hammer design would be most effective for hunting. These bullets will be 100% weight retention with the large concave meplat for max energy transfer on impact. The hard hitting design of these bullets will breathe new life into the old lever action. They say this cartridge won the West. We think they would have won faster if they had the Claw Hammer!

Buffalo Bore sells a pack of 20 cartridges for $53. Check out the performance
    https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=578

Banned
    Pricey...
    It is illegal to hunt game animals with full metal jacket bullets in some states. Mine is one of them.
    R/Griff

Quote Originally Posted by dangitgriff View Post
    Pricey...
    It is illegal to hunt game animals with full metal jacket bullets in some states. Mine is one of them.
    R/Griff
    too bad

Banned

$1.00 each? I'll stick with cast!

Boolit Master

Pricey...
    R/Griff
    If you read the description of this bullet on the Buffalo Arms link - It is not a "full metal jacket bullet" - It is a solid soft copper bullet
    Being human is not for sissies.

Quote Originally Posted by square butte View Post
    If you read the description of this bullet on the Buffalo Arms link - It is not a "full metal jacket bullet" - It is a solid soft copper bullet
    Oh yes, I knew that and mis-identified, can't edit title.

Banned

New 44-40 Full Metal Jacket Bullet

I did not see in their description where they state this bullet expands...did I miss it?
    It is also illegal to hunt game animals with non-expanding bullets in some states. Mine is one of them.
    R/Griff

I did not see in their description where they state this bullet expands...did I miss it?
    It is also illegal to hunt game animals with non-expanding bullets in some states. Mine is one of them.
    R/Griff
    It is a shallow hollowpoint so certainly it will do some sort of expanding but I am not familiar with these copper bullets.

We already know Liberal States limit certain ammo and firearms, no need to remind everyone what they probably already know every time you post.

Banned
    Again, I do not see anything on that web page for this bullet that states it is an expanding design.

Again, I do not see anything on that web page for this bullet that states it is an expanding design.

From Hammer's website,
    large concave meplat for max energy transfer on impact
    From Buffalo Bore's website,
    Item # 44-40-185 Hammer is utilizing a soft copper alloy Hammer Bullet. The alloy used in this bullet is as soft as a copper alloy can get. Still, it’s doubtful that at a 1,300-fps impact on muscle it will mushroom much, if at all. If it hits bone at that velocity, it’ll likely mushroom depending on the size of the bone.
    I have some clear ballistics Gel, I may have to try some just to see what happens at those velocities. I may try to see if I can get some trial bullets rather than 100.

Banned
    Thanks, I would be interested in your results.
    Sierra makes a full-profile jacketed .357 that is used primarily for silhouette targets, it also doesn’t expand much but is legal for use here in Florida because it isn’t technically a FMJ projectile...the nose is exposed lead. Good for pigs!

https://www.sierrabullets.com/produc...al-180-gr-fpj/

Also, Hammer has a forum, I joined up so maybe I can learn something about these new bullets.

Boolit Bub
    In my old marlin I use campro. 427 200 gr. Copper plated bullets. Cheap, no leading, you can shoot them pretty fast if you want