Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cooking equipment reviews

Christmas this year brought a Sous Vide - water bath cooker. Anova brand - https://anovaculinary.com/
    Really short learning curve and you bring your ziplock or vacuum sealed meat up to your done temperature and don't have to work hard or worry about overcooking.

Then when ready to eat you just put in Hot Cast Iron, or under the broiler, or over the grill or for dramatic flair use a butane torch and put your crust on.

Loving it.

Been getting inspiration from this YouTube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpF...PKLolFR3gWhrMw

If you want to try it before you buy it there is a method of just adding hot water to water in an insulated cooler but you have to baby the temp.

https://youtu.be/EjvRmNqbfew
    Last edited by Artful; 02-03-2021 at 08:10 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Moderator Emeritus

I can do sous vide with my beer mash kettle. Not very efficient for small pieces of meat but to make large cuts it shines, or to do a whole bunch of smaller pieces at once. 20 gallon kettle and it holds temps +- 2 degrees from set point and the pump recirculates the water so no stratifying of temps in the kettle. I have seen people use a crock pot set on high with an external temp controller switching power on and off... high is usually 200-250 degrees so you can easily maintain sous vide temps because you never reach thermostat cut out. That lets the external controller handle it. Not quite as accurate as a machine designed for it but +-5 degrees is possible.

Moderator Emeritus

Put my new BBQ pit together yesterday, my old 15+ year old Traeger is showing its age and starting to rust pretty bad. Bought a Pit Boss Sportsman 5 series vertical smoker. LOT more rack space compared to the Traeger so bit batches of jerky to be made! Going to burn it off today to clean off all the manufacturing oils and next weekend do 2 slabs of ribs to break it in. Will update this after a couple cooks! And add a picture!

Available in a lot of places, Walmart may carry it, farm stores(where I picked mine up)... https://www.amazon.com/PIT-BOSS-PB50.../dp/B08F2YSGVX

Boolit Master

Great looking smoker.
    I am a little surprised at the cost.
    They are really proud of them.
    WE will definitely need a report on how it works.

I agree with Dale, WAY too much money.
    My uncle bought one last spring for about $300 and it is a very nice smoker
    Last edited by reloader28; 04-05-2021 at 08:40 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

Traegers are even more expensive for less smoker. Similar sized Traeger will run $800+ It is heavy, well built. Held temps +- 5 degrees on burn in yesterday and for the 3 hours I smoked a ham. I have a 4 port wireless thermometer I use for BBQ so I can watch temps remotely as I do other stuff. Just checked Amazon's prices... they are nuts, it was $499 at the farm store! Shop around, it will be between $500-600 max

Smoke X4 long range(and they mean it!) wireless BBQ thermometer https://www.thermoworks.com/smokex4 yes it is expensive, good cooking gear usually is. I had gone thru 3 or 4 other brand wireless units that die sin less than a year so decided it was time to go pro.

The Thermapen by them is also a must have kitchen gadget. 2-3 second read time, waterproof(unless you melt the case... ooops! It still works though!) and not that high prices at $79 https://www.thermoworks.com/Classic-Thermapen

I tend to pay more to get well built equipment that will last. The other wireless thermometers had glowing reviews on the sales sites. After I bought them the bad reviews on BBQ forums started popping up.

Mary, I looked at that website again and it says $490 for that smoker. The other day when I first posted it said $1300 on the same link.
    Thats why I said "WAY over priced" It is worth that money but not 1300
    Last edited by reloader28; 04-08-2021 at 09:08 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

Yeah when I posted it the page had $499... then I looked after you mentioned it and was like holy buckets!!!! Umm hard pass LOL I use Amazon for the reviews and usually go buy local if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    The KitchenAid 5 quart tilt head stand mixer KSM---- depending on color. We have used ours for mixing, grinding, shredding, and peeling for over 10 years with no issues. Works great!
    I have had mine for forty years. It's old enough it was painted kitchen green. Still works and once in a while I get another attachment.

Boolit Master
    Been trying some new skillets lately.Green Diamond brand.Have to say so far they are doing a great job.Never run them past the medium setting on the burner control.
    With eggs,well,they slide around like they are on ball bearings.Same with burgers,chicken breasts,bacon and everything else that I have tried in them.Have used very little to no cooking oil of any kind either.Have used butter frying the eggs though.
    Tonite will do some grilled ham and cheese to check that out.Should have the same results I would guess.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    Follow up to above post.Grilled ham and cheese was as good as the other foods that I cooked.No sticking or any other problems.
    Leo
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Bub
    Was gonna try using a blender as a juicer for celery.

Instead wound up buying a Hamilton Beach "Big Mouth" 800 watt juice extractor from Target for $60.

Works well so far (4 times), much less labor than the blender, and cleans up easy.

Glad I bought it.

Moderator Emeritus

Reminder, try to post a link to your purchase! I know some may be bought in person but if it is in that stores online catalog it would let us look at it.

Boolit Master
    Hi Mary.Don`t know how to post a link.I bought the skillet at local Walmart.
    Leo
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Bub
    Ask, and Ye shall receive.

Link to Hamilton Beach "Big Mouth" 800 watt juice extractor from Target:

https://www.target.com/p/hamilton-be...2/-/A-15744790
    Last edited by Mrlucky353; 04-28-2021 at 10:12 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by woodbutcher View Post
    Hi Mary.Don`t know how to post a link.I bought the skillet at local Walmart.
    Leo
    Highlight the link, right click it, click copy. In the post here right click and click post. On a computer anyway. Cell phones are slightly different and a bit of a pain to do it.

Boolit Master
    Hi Mary.Thanks for the info.Have to go to Walmart tomorrow .Will try to find it on the wrapper for the skillets.Or try to find it on their web site.
    Leo
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by woodbutcher View Post
    Been trying some new skillets lately.Green Diamond brand.Have to say so far they are doing a great job.Never run them past the medium setting on the burner control.
    With eggs,well,they slide around like they are on ball bearings.Same with burgers,chicken breasts,bacon and everything else that I have tried in them.Have used very little to no cooking oil of any kind either.Have used butter frying the eggs though.
    Tonite will do some grilled ham and cheese to check that out.Should have the same results I would guess.
    Leo
    Been looking for "Green Diamond" cookware. So far found Blue Diamond and "Green Pan Diamond" and "Swiss Diamond" cookware.

OOPS! Found "Green Diamond Cookware Set" at Walmart. Is that the one. Don't really want a 12 piece set to try out. Can't imagine that $99 buys a whole lot. Any body know anything about the others I found? The reason I'm interested is I want to learn to do omelettes. I'm finding it may take a few dozen eggs before I have any success.

Keep this thread going. I'm not a big cook and SWMBO can't/won't eat what I might cook. I like the instant pot for a few things and might like more if I could bring myself to experiment. Next week I'm going to do chicken thighs in the crock pot. She won't eat dark meat and I find that it tastes a whole lot better than dry white meat.

Sorry for the thread drift.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Hi alamogunr.The Jacksboro Tn Walmart has individual skillets on sale.I have the 14 and 16" sizes IIRC.Have not noticed the sets that you reference.
    Leo
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master

Thanks, woodbutcher. I'll take a walk thru one of the Walmarts in this area(I'm in West Tenn) and see if they carry it.
    John
    W.TN

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast