Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cooking equipment reviews

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    After killing 4 Food Savers in 3 years(vacuum pump died on all of them) I decided it was time or a serious vacuum sealer machine. I went to an Avid Armor USV32 chamber vacuum sealer https://avidarmor.com/avid-armor-ult...sealer-system/ got it in 2 days ago and have been playing with it. I will give it a heavy duty test in the next few days after I make a batch of fresh sausage. So far I am liking it!

It draws 29 inches of vacuum versus 17 at best for the Food Saver so it removes a LOT more of the air from the bag and that extends food life. Food Saver seal bars over heat after 4-5 bags then it is a fight to seal the rest when I do a bulk meat buy or am sealing up garden produce. This is supposed to not over heat, that test will be done in the next few days after making 20 pounds of fresh sausage!

Cons are time, it is slower than the food saver, 1 minute per cycle but if I am fighting the seal bar over heating the Food Saver can start to take 2-3 minutes per bag... weight is a con, if you don't have counter space for something the size of a small microwave you will be lifting 31 pounds in and out of a cabinet. Size is a con, it is big! Price is also big at $600 but if it lasts 4+ years it will be equal to what I have been paying for Food Savers. Parts are readily available for it too

Pros are much better vacuum, bags are 3 cents each versus 20+ cents for the Food Saver, better built(it weighs 31 pounds!), and longevity. Parts are readily available for it too unlike the Food Saver who has ZERO customer service at this point. They refused to sell me a replacement vacuum pump, not user replaceable was the excuse...

I will update this after doing the bulk sausage run, I will be sealing around 20 bags so it will be a workout!
    i broke down and bought an LEM vac sealer last year. I too went through 3 food savers. That said for bulk sausage i dont vaccum pack i put it in meat tubes with a stuffer. It displaces the air and packages them in nice one lb packs that are cheaper then buying vaccum bags and going through the bother. Dont even have to label them. Ive got differnt colors and designs for breakfast sausage, burger, italian sausage and cudighi sausage. Nice thing too is its about 10 times faster to do it like that.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    I have an old Food Saver low end vacuum sealer I have had for ever.
    Like the old Timex ads it takes a licking and keeps on ticking. I use it a LOT.
    I guess I just got lucky.
    My biggest complaint about vacuum sealers is the price of bags.
    I helped alleviate that problem by buying these rolls of sealer bag material.
    I like the fact that the rolls come in a box with a built in cutter.
    You will save money over the Food Saver brand.

https://outofair.com/dispenser-box-rolls
    Best source for rolls and bags, now with the chamber sealer I can use a LOT cheaper bag! http://www.goodmans.net/get_list_204_3.htm

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    i broke down and bought an LEM vac sealer last year. I too went through 3 food savers. That said for bulk sausage i dont vaccum pack i put it in meat tubes with a stuffer. It displaces the air and packages them in nice one lb packs that are cheaper then buying vaccum bags and going through the bother. Dont even have to label them. Ive got differnt colors and designs for breakfast sausage, burger, italian sausage and cudighi sausage. Nice thing too is its about 10 times faster to do it like that.
    I like bfast sausage patties, I make the patties, separate with patty paper and freeze. Then vac bag them 4 to a bag(1 pound to a bag basically, quarter pound patties). Since I am cooking for one vac bagged bulk sausage keeps longer and stays fresher. If I can keep my brothers and sisters out of it...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    What type can sealer? We were just discussing getting into canning as I have half a steer coming this month and decided it is time. Any suggestions?
    Ives-way can sealer, I get my cans from Embarcadero Home Cannery out of Oakland, CA
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Moderator Emeritus

So far the new vacuum sealer is doing an excellent job. Bit of a learning curve with liquids or wet meat... made the mistake of not having the bag pulled close to the seal bar and it dropped down and leaked. Brings up another pro, VERY easy to clean spills!

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks fcvan.

Mary I just fold up a paper towel near the seal to catch meat blood, etc if you are not already doing that.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Thanks fcvan.

Mary I just fold up a paper towel near the seal to catch meat blood, etc if you are not already doing that.
    No need with the chamber sealer! I can do a bag of water if I want!

Moderator Emeritus

Wow. Ok lot better than my simple foodsaver.

Best source for rolls and bags, now with the chamber sealer I can use a LOT cheaper bag! http://www.goodmans.net/get_list_204_3.htm
    I can't find this item using the link. I'd like to see it.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    I can't find this item using the link. I'd like to see it.
    Those are bags, the sealer was from here https://avidarmor.com/avid-armor-ult...sealer-system/ and in a post back one page...

Boolit Master

Maryb, I tried the link to the Goodman site and got Page Not Found.
    That may be the issue.

Moderator Emeritus

Maryb, I tried the link to the Goodman site and got Page Not Found.
    That may be the issue.
    ahh they revamped their site. I only order once a year and the last time was 6 months ago... https://www.goodmans.net/d/1658/vacu...containers.htm

Boolit Master

I've been thru 2 Foodsaver machines, that's in 12 years. Each has done hundreds of pounds of meat and fish. Never had any of the problems described here. I get bags, rolls from Allied Kenco.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

When I got into making breads, I couldn't find a old Kitchenaid/Hobart stand mixer with metal gears.
    Reviews said the new generation plastic ones would often strip out.

So I got one of these from Bosch. It was more than I wanted to spend, but after 5 years, its still on the job.

If you don't use the lids, even at its slow speed, it can--- and will redecorate your kitchen.
    Like the old Kitchenaids, if you stick your hand in there-- its got more than enough horse power to break it.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 01-24-2021 at 04:46 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

Ten years ago, I bought a expensive quick release pressure cooker, it was like $200 for a set. made by Fagor in Spain.
    I don't know if they are still being made or available from a retail source in USA? But used ones are around for cheap, I bought a used one, as a backup at Goodwill for $10. This thing is awesome, if you like to cook with pressure cooker and don't want a automatic "insta-pot". I can make Bean soup, from dry beans, in half an hour. Makes perfect rice. Tenderizes the toughest cut of meat. Here is a walmart link to show photo.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fagor-Spl...ooker/12321526

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I have an old Food Saver low end vacuum sealer I have had for ever.
    Like the old Timex ads it takes a licking and keeps on ticking. I use it a LOT.
    I guess I just got lucky.
    My biggest complaint about vacuum sealers is the price of bags.
    I helped alleviate that problem by buying these rolls of sealer bag material.
    I like the fact that the rolls come in a box with a built in cutter.
    You will save money over the Food Saver brand.

https://outofair.com/dispenser-box-rolls
    Outofair's service is great. I ordered the 8" x 100' roll on 1-21-2021 and it arrived at my house the next day. So far I have only sealed a hand full of reloaded 9mm in one of their bags, but they feel thicker/heavier than the food saver bags I had been using. The cost for the 100' roll was a couple bucks more than two 20' food saver rolls from wallyworld.

Boolit Master

Out of Air rolls/bags are thicker than most.

Two 8qt Instant Pots, an air fryer from Pampered Chef, Food Saver vacuum sealer, a toaster oven, a stand mixer from Kitchen Aid, a "cooking blender" also from Pampered Chef, 30+ pieces of cast iron cookware, a gas grill, a Weber "Smokey Mountain" smoker, two chest freezes and two refrigerators just to keep all this stuff busy.....oh yeah, almost forgot the Sous Vide that my daughter gave me....it's crazy.
    I like to cook.......and I really like to eat.
    Last edited by Ural Driver; 03-04-2021 at 10:50 PM.
    NRA Benefactor

To start it off...

I have gone through 4 remote BBQ thermometers(probe in meat, read it in the house while doing other things). They either lack the needed range or they died in 6 months... granted I use the smoker 1-2 times a week during summer so my equipment gets a workout...

I needed a new instant read thermometer so I was on the Thermoworks website ordering another Thermapen(old one is 12 years old! Still works but I melted the case a bit so no longer water proof...) when I notice the Smoke X4 BBQ thermometer. 4 remote probes(3 meat, one pit temp) with an advertised range of 1 mile!!! Review from one guy said he got 6 blocks out f it with a lot of houses in the way so I figured it will work to get trough my foil faced insulated walls. Well built, it weighs 3 times what the other remote thermos weigh. 1 degree accuracy so no worries about over cooking things. Tested and it works all over the house and even inside my pole barn style garage with 2 layers of steel(signal thru the window probably).

Nice addition to my cooking tools, one that will last and has a 2 year warranty versus 90 days. Magnetic backed to stick to the smoker, remote receiver has the same and could be placed on the fridge. Push button back light too for late night cooks. $199 so not cheap but good cooking gear never is! Even has an optional($79) Bellows fan attachment that will push air into a charcoal or wood fired pit to boost temps!

https://www.thermoworks.com/smokex

No I am not paid by them, just a fan of their cooking gear. Thermapens are $79 and read in 2 seconds so great for doing steaks, testing bread to see if it is done etc etc etc.

Your link is listing them at $169, unless ya buy two ,then it drops to $156 each. .....I have been researching thermometers.......and based on your review, I just ordered one. I got the X4 which has 4 ports and was $199. The mention of the storage case to keep all pieces and parts together was a good one so I got that along with "Billows" to help keep the heat where I want it. Thanks for the great tip.

This is the cooking blender, it even washes itself, just plain cool:
    https://www.pamperedchef.com/pws/bak...Blender/100125
    Last edited by Ural Driver; 01-30-2021 at 12:35 PM.
    NRA Benefactor

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Ural Driver View Post
    Your link is listing them at $169, unless ya buy two ,then it drops to $156 each. .....I have been researching thermometers.......and based on your review, I just ordered one. I got the X4 which has 4 ports and was $199. The mention of the storage case to keep all pieces and parts together was a good one so I got that along with "Billows" to help keep the heat where I want it. Thanks for the great tip.

This is the cooking blender, it even washes itself, just plain cool:
    https://www.pamperedchef.com/pws/bak...Blender/100125
    I use it in the house too when cooking a turkey or roast so mine lives n the front of the fridge. When I finish construction of the outdoor kitchen I will have a storage drawer with space for probes and cooking tools.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast